Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How's your work email inbox looking ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

People who can't manage their email cannot manage their job, simple as that.

Fcuk those people showing off their 1400 unread emails as a bad of honour and their "I'm important, if they want me they'll call me" attitude.

I had one of those at work and never would call him, kept sending emails knowing they were being ignored.

Until one day something big blew up, yet he was notified in ample time by email.

He was taught a lesson and now diligently checks his email like the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭smellyoldboot

Zero unread emails, I consider it rude for one thing and it would bother me seeing the notification there the whole time at the bottom of the screen.

Prob between 20-50 emails a day (varies a lot) mostly, about 80% + directly related to ongoing work so need to be read if not answered.

Actually have a colleague who reads nothing, doesn't check, will then do something absolutely bizarrely wrong/ask a question that steps in over the email content and when confronted with "did you read the email" will always say No. Infuriating. I'm not allowed to sack them. lol

Will ignore teams messages that seem to be just hanging the dog/looking for a chat/stupid questions they should know or be able to find the answers for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

salonfire wrote: »

Fcuk those people showing off their 1400 unread emails as a bad of honour and their "I'm important, if they want me they'll call me" attitude.

I had one of those at work and never would call him, kept sending emails knowing they were being ignored.

Until one day something big blew up, yet he was notified in ample time by email.

I agree for the most part but you also have people who define their work tasks by their email stack. They prioritise based off their last email which leads to constant context switching and is horribly inefficient. A prioritised to-do list at the start of each day should trump all the 'important' emails throughout the day. Obviously there will be exceptions where the to-do list needs to be revised during a day. People are not able to perform 'deep work' if they are constantly checking emails and changing tack.

People that are getting more emails during Covid than before are doing it wrong and need to invest in collaboration tools.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

https://youtu.be/uesx85EHRTo

People who don't read emails can be very useful if you want to delay or bury, or pass the buck on something. You can always use the old "will proceed as per this email unless I hear back"

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Same goes for those that hide their online status in the IM app of choice. Its a work tool, you shouldnt be skiving off like a schoolchild.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Same goes for those that hide their online status in the IM app of choice. Its a work tool, you shouldnt be skiving off like a schoolchild.

It just means they don't want to be distracted with ad hoc calls. Schedule a time for a call, if its important.

The only people I can see who are put out by this, are those who usually want to do things ad hoc and without reference to project plan or existing schedules. They use to do this by dropping by your desk constantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

_Brian wrote: »
    I’ve gotten a year high of 11 emails this week, 8 of those was a bunch of people back slapping over an award that was won.

In my last job I got 7-800 a week.

I like this job.

Can relate. I reckon I get between 5-10 mails tops per day, and I don’t even need to respond to half of them. It’s an SME. I am not in production, nor am I customer-facing, so I am not subject to critical deadlines or anything like that.

When I log off, my evenings are entirely free, zero nighttime IMs or texts unlike my previous role. I don’t ever want to go back to my past industry or do customer account management ever again. This place is the least stressed I’ve been at work in over 10 years :)

I'd be the same used to have inbox with thousands of emails. Haven't had that for a good few years now. Get hardly any now. About 75% are from people trying to look busy...

https://betanews.com/2020/11/27/microsoft-365s-productivity-score-privacy-concerns/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We have spoken about people including the world and their mother on emails which contain reports and communications that about 70% of the people who they copy .. don’t fûcking need or want to be receiving the email or information contained...

It seems to be a weird fetish with some people...usually managers.

Ohhh i was assigned the end of week internal operations report... all 12 people in my team need to be of receipt of it, and the entire management team... so 16 recipients.... But I’ve been told to send it to the 21 people in transport, the 11 in the warehouse, 3 in HR, 5 in the inventory team and maybe the fûcking cleaners.

So instead of 16... it’s going to about 40.... so you are clogging up the inbox of about 24 people, who haven’t asked for the report, don’t need the report, don’t want the fûcking thing but somehow your ego gets a boost by demanding that your employees sent the fûcking thing to everyone...

Often its about spreading the blame game.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    We have spoken about people including the world and their mother on emails which contain reports and communications that about 70% of the people who they copy .. don’t fûcking need or want to be receiving the email or information contained...

It seems to be a weird fetish with some people...usually managers.

Ohhh i was assigned the end of week internal operations report... all 12 people in my team need to be of receipt of it, and the entire management team... so 16 recipients.... But I’ve been told to send it to the 21 people in transport, the 11 in the warehouse, 3 in HR, 5 in the inventory team and maybe the fûcking cleaners.

So instead of 16... it’s going to about 40.... so you are clogging up the inbox of about 24 people, who haven’t asked for the report, don’t need the report, don’t want the fûcking thing but somehow your ego gets a boost by demanding that your employees sent the fûcking thing to everyone...

It's clear you have an absolute disdain for your employer, cannot see past the end of your nose and will not step outside the scope of your role. Everything else with you is "not my job", "not my problem", "I don't care".

Thankfully not all employees are like you. Most take an interest in the business they work in want to have a quick glance of these reports, see if sales are up or down even if not working in the sales department; see what the expenses are, if they are going up or down; who our new customers are, etc

If you cannot mange your mailbox to setup simple rules to filter out these regular reports, that's on you. Not anyone else.

You'd imagine its a link to a report not the actual report. In which case it should just be available on the company network somewhere with appropriate access.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,856 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

It's clear you have an absolute disdain for your employer, cannot see past the end of your nose and will not step outside the scope of your role. Everything else with you is "not my job", "not my problem", "I don't care".

Thankfully not all employees are like you. Most take an interest in the business they work in want to have a quick glance of these reports, see if sales are up or down even if not working in the sales department; see what the expenses are, if they are going up or down; who our new customers are, etc

If you cannot mange your mailbox to setup simple rules to filter out these regular reports, that's on you. Not anyone else.

The reports I received and sent were nothing to do with sales or any easily interpretable raw data... they were technical in nature and content, specific to the jobs and scope of responsibilities in my and those sending departments... then you’d have others sending shît to us about company vehicles, We take care of our own so why we need to know YOURS is in for a service ?

I can manage my inbox, but if people including manglement insist that we are getting xxx times the amount of mail we need, regardless of rules etc... if managers stop fingering each other and let people get on with communicating when needed, information that is needed, and dissuade idiots from bombarding the whole company with shît nobody needs or wants to know about, it’s better, it’s effective and efficient. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

beauf wrote: »
    Often its about spreading the blame game.

It's called blamestorming now. ;)

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

It's called blamestorming now. ;)

Great name. It's exactly that.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I’m definitely getting more emails now that I’m working from home. When I get an email I’ll have a quick read of it and if it’s important I’ll deal with it straight away. If it’s nothing important or time sensitive I’ll reply to it toward the end of the day. I like to do all those type of emails in one go. Emails drive me mad and can distract from the tasks I’m meant to be doing. Saying that I do like to keep the inbox tidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Always have gotten thousands of emails every day. Most I filtered out as they are automated notifications so I dump them into folders that I might take a weekly cursory scan of. But my big bugbear is that most emails should actually be treated like forums / threads on Boards. Lots of them are ++ group or person in a reply all and one-line replies and the majority are more discussion-based and should be that and not an email chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

Mr.S wrote: »
    Teams and Slack are a godsend for this type of stuff. Every company should have some sort of platform like it to avoid people having back and forth conversations on email.

Neverheard of Slack, we don't have a similar platform in my job and I am struggling to keep up with emails lately. I actually phoned someone today who sent me an email query, which should have been sent to his manager. I asked him why he didn't email his manager, he replied saying the manager won't know the answer or will ignore the email and that I know the answer to everything (I don't) but I knew the answer to his query.

Our email is Lotus Notes, which doesn't have the same functionality as outlook and the IM function has been disabled. Wish I had some better ways of managing the increase in emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

I sent up a auto rule folder called “internal” for all in house emails from people in my organisation, but not on my team. 90% of these emails are nonsense and by ignoring them, it forces these people to figure out the “problem” themselves. I don’t have time to be doing the thinking for other people.

For my boss, my direct reports and important customers, I’ll deal with those emails right away. Often by phoning and talking to them about the issue.

This works most of the time, but, nothing drives me mental as much as when I call someone, have a good conversation, and they ask at the end of the call for a quick “email” summarising the discussion. Argh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    For my boss, my direct reports and important customers, I’ll deal with those emails right away. Often by phoning and talking to them about the issue.

This works most of the time, but, nothing drives me mental as much as when I call someone, have a good conversation, and they ask at the end of the call for a quick “email” summarising the discussion. Argh.

I despise the vendors who respond to a written question with a phone call that skirts the issue and often doesn't quite answer the question: if I wanted a chat, I'd call you. If I want a considered answer which I can rely on, and put into our knowledge-sharing system for the rest of my team to see, I'll write. If you don't have the b*lls to put your info in writing, why should I trust you with whatever we're purchasing from you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

We use Yammer instead of company-wide emails, and it’s working well. We barely even use email aliases, which I found weird when I started. Emailed announcements are used very sparingly.

Moved to Teams earlier this year, but sometimes I find people still need to be chased by email, because they’re not really used to following up on their tagged actions in Teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

You people are stressing me out with your unread emails. :D I could not live like that!!

We use Yammer instead of company-wide emails, and it’s working well. We barely even use email aliases, which I found weird when I started. Emailed announcements are used very sparingly.

Moved to Teams earlier this year, but sometimes I find people still need to be chased by email, because they’re not really used to following up on their tagged actions in Teams.

Thats because Teams is terrible for tracking followups. Emails can be sorted away and marked as unread for later action.

Teams is one long scroll of garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

I despise the vendors who respond to a written question with a phone call that skirts the issue and often doesn't quite answer the question: if I wanted a chat, I'd call you. If I want a considered answer which I can rely on, and put into our knowledge-sharing system for the rest of my team to see, I'll write. If you don't have the b*lls to put your info in writing, why should I trust you with whatever we're purchasing from you.

Disagree completely. If people can’t have a conversation directly with someone then in my experience they lack communication skills. Admittedly this is becoming more common, doesn’t bode well. Have to add that often the question asked in the email makes no sense and the only way to avoid endless emails back and forth is to pick up the phone and ask the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Disagree completely. If people can’t have a conversation directly with someone then in my experience they lack communication skills. Admittedly this is becoming more common, doesn’t bode well. Have to add that often the question asked in the email makes no sense and the only way to avoid endless emails back and forth is to pick up the phone and ask the question.

If I'm looking for clarification on something that doesn't make sense in an email, I agree that a phonecall will resolve the issue much faster. However, I would always have a follow up email confirming what is to be done. Only because dealing with 3rd party clients and lord knows that 6 months later they will have no memory of that phonecall and what they agreed to. I'd do it for internal stuff as well if I disagree with the outcome of the call so that when it inevitably blows up in our faces and I can show that the boss agreed to whatever it was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Cows Go µ wrote: »
    If I'm looking for clarification on something that doesn't make sense in an email, I agree that a phonecall will resolve the issue much faster. However, I would always have a follow up email confirming what is to be done. Only because dealing with 3rd party clients and lord knows that 6 months later they will have no memory of that phonecall and what they agreed to. I'd do it for internal stuff as well if I disagree with the outcome of the call so that when it inevitably blows up in our faces and I can show that the boss agreed to whatever it was

Completely agree - fine to speak in person to clarify / resolve the issue quicker with less back and forth but there still needs to be at least a 2-line email to follow-up after saying "X was agreed, this is the solution/approach by Y deadline, Z is responsible" or whatever, as a record, otherwise who said what in the call is open to interpretation and people forgetting (advertently and inadvertently!)

Advertisement