Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car dealer lost my car history

• 28-11-2020 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

So end of October I bought a used hybrid - a Passat GTE. I've test driven it, checked everything and made sure the documents are all there such as the logbook, maintenance history, user manual etc, UK logbook etc.

When I was picking up the car few days later the lad who brought the car outside for me and made it ready said that everything is inside the car. I took his word for it and drive home until later to find out I've been given a VW history booklet for a completely different car.

Fast forward one month later I've exchanged dozens of emails, rang them at least 4 times and asked about the update, but all they say is that they're looking for it and that they've sent a query to their vendor (?) to see if they mismatched it. Whatever this means, I thought the documents are stored in the garage since when I bought the car the history booklet was there.

So here I am, with a car without a history. The main reason I bought the car is that it had a really good history. All maintenance tasks carried out on time, oil changes, filter changes etc. All documented. It was also advertised as a car with full history.

Where do I stand legally? I feel like they just lost it and are afraid to admit it. I feel cheated on. Car will definitely be worth less in the future without a proper history. I can't get a copy from VW because it's confidential.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

VW will have a record of all the work carried out on the car. A service book can be easily faked. Contact/call into a VW garage with the VLC and they will be able to verify if it has a service history.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,302 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    I can't get a copy from VW because it's confidential.
    How is it confidential? Surely it just identifies the car, not the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

If its a UK import check with DVLA in Wales to see when the car was exported into Ireland.

You should have or the seller a V5 c doc, was there a UK MOT cert with the car originally?

Also check the Vehicle Identification Number , VIN and get onto VW HQ in UK or Ireland.

VIN is underneath the bonnet.

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I thought VAG service history for cars serviced in a VAG dealership or approved center are all on line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I don't suppose it's something as simple as they swapped booklets, and yours is in the car that you have the paperwork for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

I've rang VW Ireland today but their lines are closed, it seems. I've rang VW UK but they said I need to ring any dealer and they would be able to do it. Great! I rang the dealer in UK (some random one) and asked about retrieving the history. No problem as long as I have proof of ownership and ID. The problem is we're not in the UK.

I rang Joe Duffy in North Dublin as well as another dealer in Liffey Valley. They said that if the car wasn't serviced there they can't do that as the service history they would have is from the time the car was actually in that specific garage.

I've tried logging into MyVolskwagen UK but it doesn't seem to work. It's asking me for a UK address to retrieve the service history but I have no idea where the previous owner lived. I have no idea what to do.

seagull wrote: »
    I don't suppose it's something as simple as they swapped booklets, and yours is in the car that you have the paperwork for.

So what are you trying to say? That they didn't have it in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

FWIW I got uk and Irish history from my local Skoda garage.

Had it anyway but they printed it out and all.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    FWIW I got uk and Irish history from my local Skoda garage.

Had it anyway but they printed it out and all.

I might have to shop around different dealers from VAG. Maybe they'll be able to do it. Was your car VW?

I might have to shop around different dealers from VAG. Maybe they'll be able to do it. Was your car VW?

No, Skoda but they use the same system.

Did you buy the car from a vw dealer?

• Advertisement

No, Skoda but they use the same system.

Did you buy the car from a vw dealer?

No it was an independent dealer. Had really good reviews too which is why I'm surprised.

kravmaga wrote: »
    If its a UK import check with DVLA in Wales to see when the car was exported into Ireland.

You should have or the seller a V5 c doc, was there a UK MOT cert with the car originally?

Also check the Vehicle Identification Number , VIN and get onto VW HQ in UK or Ireland.

VIN is underneath the bonnet.

https://www.gov.uk/get-vehicle-information-from-dvla

All checks out. It's marked as export but the documents you're talking about, the dealer should have it as they took care of the VRT etc. Already got to VW UK who said it should be ok but need proof of address and ID at the local dealer which means I should be there in person.

No it was an independent dealer. Had really good reviews too which is why I'm surprised.

Did you do a history check?

Did you do a history check?

I did a history check on the car itself and it came back clean. I did it on Motorcheck.ie. It still has a valid MOT till September next year but was just out of tax in October this year just before it got exported I guess. So just before I bought it.

My biggest worry is that if I ever want to trade it in or sell it after its going to be worth that little but less because I can't prove what has been done on the car other than what I have done.

I did a history check on the car itself and it came back clean. I did it on Motorcheck.ie. It still has a valid MOT till September next year but was just out of tax in October this year just before it got exported I guess. So just before I bought it.

My biggest worry is that if I ever want to trade it in or sell it after its going to be worth that little but less because I can't prove what has been done on the car other than what I have done.

Don’t worry about that part, if it’s had main dealer servicing it’ll be on VWs system.

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Could you not just use a UK address to register on the UK App and download the history?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Could you not just use a UK address to register on the UK App and download the history?

Forget about the My VW app - it's no longer supported, I've just checked min for the first time in months.

I am able to view service dates and actions on the website but there's no great detail e.g. Haldex Oil Change 20/07/2020 Isaac Agnew Belfast

Apparently they are in the middle of changing to a new system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Make a claim to the Small Claims Court on the basis of devaluation and goods not being as described. You will find that the garage will gets its gloves on promptly in that event.

Make a claim to the Small Claims Court on the basis of devaluation and goods not being as described. You will find that the garage will gets its gloves on promptly in that event.

I was thinking about it but this would be quite hard to prove. How much has the car lost since it has no history Vs if it had. Perhaps negligence on my part too that I left and haven't checked the booklet when picking up the car. Might have to consult a solicitor or a lawyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I was thinking about it but this would be quite hard to prove. How much has the car lost since it has no history Vs if it had. Perhaps negligence on my part too that I left and haven't checked the booklet when picking up the car. Might have to consult a solicitor or a lawyer.

Hard to prove? Was it described as having a full history?@ Were you given a full history? What has negligence got to do with it? It is breach of warranty. In any event, if the garage has to send someone to the Small Claims Court for a day, it will make it worth their while to sort you out.

• Advertisement

Hard to prove? Was it described as having a full history?@ Were you given a full history? What has negligence got to do with it? It is breach of warranty. In any event, if the garage has to send someone to the Small Claims Court for a day, it will make it worth their while to sort you out.

So as an update, I asked a solicitor to help me out. The dealer has admitted liability for the missing history and has agreed to refund the car value if needed be. I got my solicitor involved and it definitely speeded things up. I am going to keep the car and if the history is not received from the vendor by say March next year I'll be looking to get my major service covered by them.

seagull wrote: »

I'd say this is the most likely thing.

Advertisement