Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Employer not paying me correctly

• 26-11-2020 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭

Hi,

I've never started a boards thread before so forgive me if this is in the wrong place, or the title isn't suitable.

My employer has been taking the absolute piss since March 2020 and underpaid 4/4 staff in a shop I work in. I imagine that the several stores around Ireland are also underpaid too, but I can only speak for the people I work with. I work for snip.

I have taken paid holidays during a study break of mine, and not paid for them. 4 days holidays (8 hours x €10.30 = €82.40 per holiday). My last pay slip gave me €6.48 in holiday pay. I was shafted back in April during the lockdown where 7 days holidays I had booked were never paid to me (some of which I had taken at the end of March so pre-close).

8 months of being underpaid and I don't know where to go. I have no union to fight my corner. None of management can seem to do anything because they have no input on payroll.

All I can do is send an email to HR and hope they decide to reply to it. It's a complete joke as most emails are ignored, and the rest are not acted on or you get this jargon filled ream of an email trying to just get you to cave and just give up on getting your money.

Is there somewhere i can go to report this shambles of a situation because I can only assume they are pocketing this money for themselves and not paying holidays is ridiculous, I essentially took over 2 and a half weeks unpaid leave earning a fat €6 in that time...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

hi, usually things like this take time to be sorted by any payroll in most companies.
    Public and private, and don't be under any illusion that a union would help in this matter, they wouldn't even respond.
    You then add covid and the difficulties that arise from staff in, wfh ect
    then you see it's only 80 odd euro, sorry to say it won't be high on anyones list of priorities, i'd email your manager and keep it on file, if it's not resolved at a later date at least you have proof you told them the problem if you wish to pursue further.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Lallers96 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've never started a boards thread before so forgive me if this is in the wrong place, or the title isn't suitable.

My employer has been taking the absolute piss since March 2020 and underpaid 4/4 staff in a shop I work in. I imagine that the several stores around Ireland are also underpaid too, but I can only speak for the people I work with. I work for snip.

I have taken paid holidays during a study break of mine, and not paid for them. 4 days holidays (8 hours x €10.30 = €82.40 per holiday). My last pay slip gave me €6.48 in holiday pay. I was shafted back in April during the lockdown where 7 days holidays I had booked were never paid to me (some of which I had taken at the end of March so pre-close).

8 months of being underpaid and I don't know where to go. I have no union to fight my corner. None of management can seem to do anything because they have no input on payroll.

All I can do is send an email to HR and hope they decide to reply to it. It's a complete joke as most emails are ignored, and the rest are not acted on or you get this jargon filled ream of an email trying to just get you to cave and just give up on getting your money.

Is there somewhere i can go to report this shambles of a situation because I can only assume they are pocketing this money for themselves and not paying holidays is ridiculous, I essentially took over 2 and a half weeks unpaid leave earning a fat €6 in that time...

HR stands for human remains in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Lallers96

It's not just 80 euro. My payslip today alone was short 4 days holidays, so €329.60. Never mind the last 7 payslips, one of which was short 7 holidays.

How do i pursue this further? I have already exhausted all options internally for the last 8 months. Managers are completely useless in this company and I cannot escalate this matter any further than an email which gets ignored.

I have been in union jobs in the past and the presence of such a union alone would be enough to deter a company from even trying to underpay people by hundreds of euro at a time like this.

HR stands for human remains in my book.

Yes, I know that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

It's not just 80 euro. My payslip today alone was short 4 days holidays, so €329.60. Never mind the last 7 payslips, one of which was short 7 holidays.

How do i pursue this further? I have already exhausted all options internally for the last 8 months. Managers are completely useless in this company and I cannot escalate this matter any further than an email which gets ignored.

I have been in union jobs in the past and the presence of such a union alone would be enough to deter a company from even trying to underpay people by hundreds of euro at a time like this.

Are or where they getting a covid supplement I wonder from the revenue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,084 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So join a union.

Or try workplace relations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭beachhead

Have you tried Citizensinformation for any advice they might have? Or approach your local Siptu office perhaps.The unions use to offer help one time I don't see how covid would change that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

ah ok well that's alot more to be fair i'd be fuming too.
    ok so unfortunately it's a strong worded email of all the details, the exact amounts and dates ect to the main hr and payroll manager(head office) at the same time in my opinion and ask for a response in writing,
    once you get said response, if you're still not happy go to the family solicitor.
    Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

https://www.workplacerelations.ie/en/complaints_disputes/making_a_complaint/

That's the people to talk to, but in the first instance, while management may have no input on payroll, they should be escalating this for you.

In the meantime, put together a spreadsheet showing every day/hour you've worked for as far back as you can, and the days you took as holidays, and keep a record from now on every week as well. so that if/when you get to the WRC you have all your facts right. The last thing you want to do is have them say "well, Lallers states here he was working on Friday, but our records show he was off that day".

beachhead wrote: »
    Have you tried Citizensinformation for any advice they might have? Or approach your local Siptu office perhaps.The unions use to offer help one time I don't see how covid would change that

I'm not trying to be mean but the people in Citizens Information are useless at their job and just google stuff as you ask them or go on the CI website, which I can do myself.

Can SIPTU help if you're not part of a union? I'm really genuinely clueless about all this, I've never had such issues with pay.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »

That's the people to talk to, but in the first instance, while management may have no input on payroll, they should be escalating this for you.

In the meantime, put together a spreadsheet showing every day/hour you've worked for as far back as you can, and the days you took as holidays, and keep a record from now on every week as well. so that if/when you get to the WRC you have all your facts right. The last thing you want to do is have them say "well, Lallers states here he was working on Friday, but our records show he was off that day".

Thank you. I usually do keep track of every single detail like hours worked etc. because I get paid monthly and have to keep tabs on them because the room for error is too great, and by god they use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Step 1: Put it all in an email with all payslips and explinations in easy to read format what's missing.

Step 2: In same email include a copy of previous emails sent as an attachment or just put this email in the chain.

Step 3: Direct said email to the owner / Head of HR depending on the size of company. Cc managers previously contacted and include what they have communicated to you.

Step 4: Chase a response with a follow up within a couple of weeks indicating you need to sort this before the end of the year for tax reasons if they do not respond quickly

Step 5: If not response forthcoming contact a government agency as referenced above with said emails

Hopefully however only as far as Step 4 becomes necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭wildwillow

Bad advice. It is theft and immoral. Two wrongs and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭jelem

Thoie wrote: »

spreadsheet good idea but workplacerelations a farce.
    push your manager and hard until you become a nuisance
    or you be forgotton.

cronos wrote: »
    Step 1: Put it all in an email with all payslips and explinations in easy to read format what's missing.

Step 2: In same email include a copy of previous emails sent as an attachment or just put this email in the chain.

Step 3: Direct said email to the owner / Head of HR depending on the size of company. Cc managers previously contacted and include what they have communicated to you.

Step 4: Chase a response with a follow up within a couple of weeks indicating you need to sort this before the end of the year for tax reasons if they do not respond quickly

Step 5: If not response forthcoming contact a government agency as referenced above with said emails

Hopefully however only as far as Step 4 becomes necessary.
    a lot of time and work and you will in 90% of caases be ignored.
    as for gov agencies forget them.
    as for citizens advice i tell you now what they will say
    "get a reliable solicitor", which is another farce.
    you may be told euro 150 for a consultation and letter which
    will go on letter pile of employer and hence more cash to solicitor.
    only way is to hound manager\employer to extent you are nuisance
    and deal with it or try some method to "offload you".
    difficult to keep calm but even government departments are engaged in false statements and fraudulent
    accounting with refusal to pay and produce factual account - garda will not investigate how
    receipts do not match governments statements - this shows no valid audit system to "catch" fraud and
    embezzlement by those in government departments -
    accept you are nothing to them and they may admit when they ready but dont hold breath.
    sorry to break it to you it is on purpose that pay is no longer cash and paid in arrears of more than a week.
    it aids control and incompetance with employer able to fake "costs" for their accounting periods as just
    one example.

Karwik wrote: »
    It is better to ask a lawyer for a help
    you lack knowledge of ireland the politics\law society and bar council along with garda.
    from quote of euro 500 up front before reading over the issue to basic of euro 150 for
    consultation and short letter (which is sweet fa as would be ignored) requiring more.
    try talk with citizens advice whom will say get legal advice and avail of free
    session with a "seemingly volunteer" barrister whom states the same " hire
    legal advice".
    there is no one with man parts who will take on politician\government or member of their society
    unless funded by government whom cannot hide an issue any longer.
    age and experience has me running rings around barristers and solicitors as they play dumb
    or act ignorant purposefully. they value their cv and chance to work for multi-national or
    government department and they go into hiding.
    you can have more than all the evidence you need yet even garda will refuse and leave you
    to file a complaint against them which equals more time delay and if anything a slap on wrist for them.
    tv licence or car tax and all above will reap great money from you either for defence or against you.
    even had (remain anon) an independant TD state that they had trouble getting legal representation
    whether for defense or prosecute.
    it is a corrupt money game in ireland and i have facts which support that which cannot be denied.
    last visit to garda station nov 2019 and another garda whom knows nothing of what they supposed to do
    that aside what is on their web site gives the bums rush.
    another is RSA.ie and minister = "under legislation blah blah WE do not have to tell you if we have done anything or not".
    this is throw in draw to protect vested interests.
    this is why i post and have no fear of slander\defamation whilst i would print the names of those ministers etc.
    boards.ie would censor and ban the post so have to refrain on naming.
    this is ireland of the corrupt whom get elected or gain position of authority and are NOT held liable
    under either EU or irish STATE legislation and law.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Op has not said how many hours they work.

Seems to be a student

Seems to be some covid related stuff too.

Yet even with very little information, people are making assumptions.

Holidays are usually in the calendar year, I can't see 11 days being due by April when statutory is 8% of hours worked.

Advertisement