Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kildare farmer objects to €8bn Intel investment...

Options
  • 06-03-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭

...for the 7th separate occasion since 2012!

https://www.thejournal.ie/kildare-farmer-thomas-reid-lodges-fresh-objection-in-ongoing-battle-with-intel-4527582-Mar2019/?utm_source=twitter_short
    In total, the $8 billion (€7bn) investment – which will employ 6,000 construction workers at peak and 1,600 full time jobs on completion – will represent the largest single private investment in the history of the State on one project if given the go-ahead by Intel globally.

Consultants for Intel have told Kildare County Council that the firm has already invested $12.5 billion (€11bn) on its site at Leixlip and the firm is seeking a 10 year planning permission for its new application.

However, Reid of Hedsor House, Blakestown, Carton, Maynooth, is seeking to frustrate the multi-national’s plans after lodging a two page hand-written objection against the new application.

I hope this is not another Apple in Galway fiasco

This time the cost could be far more real and devastating for this area than Apple in Galway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

They tried a CPO on his farm.
    In 2015, Reid emerged victorious in his battle with the IDA where a unanimous Supreme Court found that the IDA making of a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) for Reid’s 72-acre farm adjacent to the Intel campus had been in excess of the IDA’s powers.

Can’t really blame him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I'd like to know his reasons before branding him any sort of so and so. He may have legitimate concerns, and if so I would hope some sort of compromise could be made considering the impact such a site would have locally. Huge money involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Is this the same guy who the IDA tried to take his land illegally to give to Intel. I think the "crazy" comment might be unfair and in such circumstances any anxiety might be understandable.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    They tried a CPO on his farm.

Can’t really blame him.

Ok, I removed the "crazy" comment.

BUT...they didn't CPO his land so why is he objecting then???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Victor wrote: »
    Is this the same guy who the IDA tried to take his land illegally to give to Intel. I think the "crazy" comment might be unfair and in such circumstances any anxiety might be understandable.

The very same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,185 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    I'd like to know his reasons before branding him any sort of so and so. He may have legitimate concerns, and if so I would hope some sort of compromise could be made considering the impact such a site would have locally. Huge money involved.

From my understanding he doesn't want to give up his farm/land that has being in his family for generations.

if one fella needs to have a cpo hit him for 8bn to be invested then that is exactly what should happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Was listening to something on the radio yesterday about how in other countries the good of the nation and people trumps the worry of a few individuals when it comes to things like this.

Basically most countries just tell the people this is happening and you can do nothing about it.

It’s for the greater good.

These numpties are always complaining about something.

Nimbyisn at its finest and also a huge factor in the housing situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Would love to know more about his reasons the article doesn’t go into a lot of detail on this!!

if one fella needs to have a cpo hit him for 8bn to be invested then that is exactly what should happen

Legally. It should be done legally, not like the previous CPO, according to the article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Easy to say when it's not your family home and legacy. It's a complex situation.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,245 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Was listening to something on the radio yesterday about how in other countries the good of the nation and people trumps the worry of a few individuals when it comes to things like this.
    That may be well and good where it is a public service like a road, water pipe or power line.

A factory owner not willing to pay market price for land is a whole other matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

When do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or in this case one person?

I'm going to say that this is a case where the needs of the many should outweigh the needs of one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

BUT...they didn't CPO his land so why is he objecting then???

Only because he took the IDA to the supreme court and won.

Only because he took the IDA to the supreme court and won.

And...why object now then? :confused:

Just for spite or just because he can???

Just for spite or just because he can???

You could ask him instead of branding him crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭type85

When do the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few or in this case one person?

I'm going to say that this is a case where the needs of the many should outweigh the needs of one person.

What is this "need" and where does this "need" come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Bada Bing Boy

Victor wrote: »
    That may be well and good where it is a public service like a road, water pipe or power line.

A factory owner not willing to pay market price for land is a whole other matter.

I grew up on a farm nearby and know well he was offered above and beyond the market value of his land..

Easy to say when it's not your family home and legacy. It's a complex situation.

it's easy to say full stop

our obsession with the individual landowner in this country is a large part of what has the place fcuked

the field is as piercing an observation as it ever was about our fetish for thick fcukers and their connection to 'the land'

the greater good

You could ask him instead of branding him crazy.
    Reid unsuccessfully opposed the $4 billion first phase of the ‘fab’ plan in 2017 when lodging an objection against the application and then appealing the Council decision to An Bord Pleanála.

Strikes me as a crazy vendetta because the IDA tried CPO his land.

They haven't CPO'ed his land because he won so I don't see why 1,000's of jobs should be put at risk.

• Advertisement

69f112f0-a0d5-0132-a2d4-0e6808eb79bf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

He has totally legitimate concerns, that's why he has won previously in court.

The plans Intel have are not in accordance with proper planning and development of the area.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Legally. It should be done legally, not like the previous CPO, according to the article.

i agree

but it should be a lot easier and quicker to do legally

and objecting should be a lot more difficult and expensive

and decisions should be much quicker in all cases

Strikes me as a crazy vendetta because the IDA tried CPO his land.

You're only guessing so you don't know, just as you assumed you know his mental state

it's easy to say full stop

our obsession with the individual landowner in this country is a large part of what has the place fcuked

Probably because of the individual landowners getting fcuked over by the powers that be in the past. Land is a very sensitive issue in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

From my understanding he doesn't want to give up his farm/land that has being in his family for generations.

There wouldn't be a decent road in the country if guys like him were indulged

He has totally legitimate concerns, that's why he has won previously in court.

The plans Intel have are not in accordance with proper planning and development of the area.

i dont know if its only on boards or what

but everywhere else on the internet knows that the phrase 'legitimate concerns' is genuinely like a shorthand/dogwhistle for 'bad faith opposition'

i agree

but it should be a lot easier and quicker to do legally

and objecting should be a lot more difficult and expensive

and decisions should be much quicker in all cases

It shouldn't be more difficult and more expensive, the common man should be able to lodge an appeal the same as any other. You shouldn't need to be wealthy to do so.

I'm not saying I agree with this man but there's an appeal process and he's free to avail of it. The same as he did regarding an illegal CPO.

I do agree that all of this should be done much quicker however to avoid issues like the datacentre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

type85 wrote: »
    What is this "need" and where does this "need" come from?

The need for jobs/employment which in turn will support other secondary jobs and provide the government with increased tax revenue.

While I'm presuming the other person's need is for his land for future generations and/or his livelihood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,826 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    There wouldn't be a decent road in the country if guys like him were indulged

Nowhere near the truth.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement