Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What moment taught you life wasn't fair?

• 24-01-2020 9:09pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

I've probably covered this question but here we go again, when did you learn that life wasn't just at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

The time I opened a thread to see it was started by you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

When the credits rolled on The Neverending Story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Yamanoto wrote: »
    When the credits rolled on The Neverending Story

Hows that Lionel Hutz case doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,408 ✭✭✭corner of hells

When I realised "Titanic " wasn't a true story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

When did you?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

When I was about three and learned I couldn't have everything just because I wanted it.

What about yourself OP? Another thread with no actual input from yourself.

Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be fair. But that's not something necessarily negative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

When I was about 15 and waking up to realise Pamela Anderson wasnt going down on me. It. was just a dream. Oh the joys of teenage years.

When I was about three and learned I couldn't have everything just because I wanted it.

Life isn't fair. It's not meant to be fair. But that's not something necessarily negative.

You need to let that one go. Sometimes a question is grand.

You need to let that one go. Sometimes a question is grand.

More often an opinion is better. This one doesn't even require an opinion, such an example. Hardly rocket science even for the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Loopylineking

Myself

When I finished college and reliazed ****, now I have to work for the next 44 years and provide for myself which I’m currently doing.

Council house tenant

Well I popped out a baby at 19 intentionally and I wanted a brand new two story house but I only got one that was 5 years old. That’s when I knew life was unfair. Also only able to take two holidays to Spain every year on my welfare, thought it would be more but oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I was five and my friend was 6 when he was killed in a car crash. I guess that was the moment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

when i crashed my car [write off] this morning due to the low sun, came around a corner and hit a van did'nt even see it till i hit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Mayo getting to loads of All-Ireland finals and losing them all.

I got pulled out of this warm lovely place where I just had to float around.

Then someone kept smacking me on the back until I started screaming.

And since then every time I start screaming people slap me until I stop.

Make up your mind people!

EDIT: Oh yeah - and then Optimus Prime went and died.

• Site Banned Posts: 22 Guava Juice

I'd be more interested in what made people think life was fair. It's quite obviously not fair, we are the 1%, the lucky minority born in one of the wealthiest and safest countries in the world and in the history of civilisation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

When chancers who were younger than me and had less intelligence somehow ended up running the government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

touts wrote: »
    When chancers who were younger than me and had less intelligence somehow ended up running the government.

Actually screw that. When I opened RTE news and read about 3 children being found dead. What ****ing fairness is there in life when things like that happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Asitis2019

That's not true

Some of us have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes, with boats, and friends, and noodle salad. Just no one on this site. But, a lot of people, that's their story; good times, noodle salad.

What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

(Source: As Good As it Gets)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

I was 10 when those two boys the same age as me then, kidnapped, tortured and killed James Bulger in Liverpool.

Not sure if it was when I learnt life was unfair, but definitely when I realised that everything in life was not just good. First time I remember feeling scared or worried bad things could happen. I had nightmares for weeks even though my parents were the type to switch channels when stuff like that came on tv and would shield us from things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

When I watched Watership down as a child. I cried

• Advertisement

Asitis2019 wrote: »
    That's not true

Some of us have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes, with boats, and friends, and noodle salad. Just no one on this site. But, a lot of people, that's their story; good times, noodle salad.

What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

(Source: As Good As it Gets)

Not sure what your point is. Some can have a great life (I had a great life) and other don't - is that fair? Three children died in Dublin tonight - is that fair?

Brooks isn't necessarily the oracle on life. A fictional character's pseudo philosophical lines aren't always thought provoking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

When my mother died suddenly and unexpectedly at 63. Most of us are accustomed to death due to an illness or old age. Certainly that's all I ever knew.

An unexpected death is hard to stomach, especially to someone who wanted nothing more than grand children to look forward to spoiling and had more good things ahead of her than behind, she had a pretty ****ty life due to things i won't go into. She died before her grandchildren reached the age of 2.

The unfairness of it all crosses my mind daily.

And then finally when you do get the coroners report after a 6month wait. You're greeted with a sparsely written 2 page document with the same word littered throughout, "unremarkable", in reference to every interior organ they analysed.
    With a conclusion of "something to do with the heart but inconclusive".

Life is pretty unfair for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,275 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I didn't realise it at the time, but the first time I remember that life wasn't fair, was in secondary school. In 3rd year, my favourite subjects were Maths and Technical Graphics. Got an A in honors maths and honors TG in the junior cert. Then did Transition Year, because I was young as fook and wanted a foreign holiday. Best school year of my life. Anyway, into 5th year and, obviously, I wanted to continue with TG and wanted to do the higher level maths.

Wasn't allowed do the higher level maths as I was 'too disruptive', even though maths was the 1 class I paid attention to from start to finish. Wasn't allowed to do TG becasue it was clashing with French, and I HAD to do French. Personally think that decision ruined my future career prospects. Ended up taking up fecking business in the end, hated it and barely passed. Could have been an architect, or quantity surveyor, but no.

Plenty more examples since. My biggest one at the moment is how unfair it is that I legally have to have pregnancy/maternity and child cover on my PERSONAL Health Insurance, even though I'm male and never want kids, all so it's more affordable for people who do. Fcuk that. And it'll never change, becasue there's too many bleeding hearts out there that automatically give passes to people just because they proved they can fcuk. Up there with it is the Childrens Allowance. I personally think it should be scrapped, end of. Can't afford to have kids? Then don't fcuking have them!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

jon1981 wrote: »
    When my mother died suddenly and unexpectedly at 63. Most of us are accustomed to death due to an illness or old age. Certainly that's all I ever knew.

An unexpected death is hard to stomach, especially to someone who wanted nothing more than grand children to look forward to spoiling and had more good things ahead of her than behind, she had a pretty ****ty life due to things i won't go into. She died before her grandchildren reached the age of 2.

The unfairness of it all crosses my mind daily.

And then finally when you do get the coroners report after a 6month wait. You're greeted with a sparsely written 2 page document with the same word littered throughout, "unremarkable", in reference to every interior organ they analysed.
    With a conclusion of "something to do with the heart but inconclusive".

Hi Jon sorry for your loss, an unexpected death is very tough for those left behind to deal with. I can only guess but from your post I"m assuming your Mum knew the love you had for her. She can never know what she missed but I 'm sure she cherished what she had with her grandchildren. Life is unfair but knowing you are loved makes it easier. As long as you remember her, she is not truly dead. Tell your children about her., her personality. Through you they will know her.
    Sorry for intruding.

When I was 13 and I saw my brother die and then 2 months after finding out my dad died.

Life had pretty much shown how cruel it could be at that stage.

It still manages to throw a couple of curve balls to remind me it can still **** you up more.

But on balance, the birth of my daughter, my beautiful wife and the life I have with them prove how amazing life can be so it's swings and roundabouts really.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Mayo getting to loads of All-Ireland finals and losing them all.

To a Galway man that is life being fair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

jon1981 wrote: »

An unexpected death is hard to stomach

The unfairness of it all crosses my mind daily

Not much I can add to that. Fair dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

Myself

When I finished college and reliazed ****, now I have to work for the next 44 years and provide for myself which I’m currently doing.

Council house tenant

Well I popped out a baby at 19 intentionally and I wanted a brand new two story house but I only got one that was 5 years old. That’s when I knew life was unfair. Also only able to take two holidays to Spain every year on my welfare, thought it would be more but oh well.

Most convoluted rationale for welfare bashing post I've ever seen, even by After Hours standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭vriesmays

When a neighbour with the same surname as me gave birth to a disabled baby and people phoned my mother to laugh at her thinking it was her grandchild.

• Advertisement

tdf7187 wrote: »
    Most convoluted rationale for welfare bashing post I've ever seen, even by After Hours standards.

True though.

Advertisement