Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-01-2020, 22:21   #3406
fluke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PropJoe10 View Post
I always feel that people that dismiss Pearl Jam's 2000's work either haven't heard the albums or have an agenda.
Can you expand on this re: agenda? Long time PJ fan, so I'm curious.

Last edited by fluke; 23-01-2020 at 22:29.
Advertisement
23-01-2020, 22:32   #3407
Burty330
Banned

Quote:
I always feel that people that dismiss Pearl Jam's 2000's work either haven't heard the albums or have an agenda.

-Light Years 7/10
-Sleight Of Hand 8/10
-Grievance 5/10
-Save You 8/10
-I Am Mine 8/10
-You Are 8/10
-Thumbing My Way 7/10
-Life Wasted 3/10
-Marker In the Sand 2/10
-Unemployable 3/10
-Arny Reserve 6/10
-Against The Waves 4/10
-Just Breathe 5/10
-Force Of Nature 5/10
-Mind Your Manners 2/10
-Infallible 4/10
-Pendulum 4/10
-Getaway 8/10

Just a sample of some of the fantastic songs on those later-career albums, and could double the length of that list. Most bands would kill for songs of that quality and these songs allegedly come from a band past their best.
Maybe 1 or 2 could classify as being "fantastic".. . A good number of those sound like throwaway Dave Mathews songs
23-01-2020, 22:36   #3408
Burty330
Banned

Got Some and Johnny Guitar are probably the best songs from Backspacer.
23-01-2020, 22:52   #3409
PropJoe10

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke View Post
Can you expand on this re: agenda? Long time PJ fan, so I'm curious.
Maybe "agenda" isn't the right word, but I just find people that dismiss the band's later career to be pretty weird. I'm maybe a rare person that goes back to Ten probably less than any of the rest of their records, bar Lightning Bolt (which I like about half of, and hate Sirens with a passion).

Probably got a bit easily sparked by that person earlier!
Thanks from:
24-01-2020, 09:10   #3410
greenspurs

Quote:
True. You should probably stop posting in this thread, judging by this.
Salty?

I am allowed give my opinion , aren't I?
Maybe try giving your opinion on PJ instead of other posters?
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 09:19   #3411
greenspurs

Quote:

-Light Years
-Sleight Of Hand
-Grievance
-Save You
-I Am Mine
-You Are
-Thumbing My Way
-Life Wasted
-Marker In the Sand
-Unemployable
-Arny Reserve
-Against The Waves
-Just Breathe
-Force Of Nature
-Mind Your Manners
-Infallible
-Pendulum
-Getaway

Just a sample of some of the fantastic songs on those later-career albums, and could double the length of that list. Most bands would kill for songs of that quality and these songs allegedly come from a band past their best.
That was my point .
From 5 albums you liked 18 songs ! ….

Too much filler unfortunately ..
Thanks from:
24-01-2020, 09:45   #3412
fluke

In fairness gs, joe said it was just a sample.
24-01-2020, 10:00   #3413
flasher0030

Quote:
Said it was a sample of "fantastic songs". I think that's stretching it a bit - Mind your manners??
It's not a great indication where for every one song that is good, the next 2 are going to be average. From a band with PJs pedigree and potential.
From my own point of view, I'd have Got Some on that list. Soft spot for that tune. And Come Back
Ten is a classic rock album. They could never reach those heights. After that they had some good albums - with enough quality tunes to keep the momentum going - with the hope that they'd throw together Ten; Part 2 some time. But didn’t happen. Even now, in anticipation of a new tune, most of us are just hoping that it’s not going to be a dud. I’ve listened to it a few times, and I like it. First time in a while that I’ve felt a little excitement about upcoming PJ music.
In reality, it’s the live setting that has kept PJ going. Phenomenal. With the 10 albums that they have, plus B-sides, plus good covers, they have a good 40 songs to make a very memorable quality gig.
Thanks from:
24-01-2020, 11:15   #3414
greenspurs

Quote:
…. "of FANTASTIC songs …………. ?

Music is subjective, people like different songs for different reasons.
So that's why everyones opinion counts ?

Mine is as I have posted a few posts back.
Too much filler...
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 13:26   #3415
grimm2005

Quote:
Maybe "agenda" isn't the right word, but I just find people that dismiss the band's later career to be pretty weird. I'm maybe a rare person that goes back to Ten probably less than any of the rest of their records, bar Lightning Bolt (which I like about half of, and hate Sirens with a passion).

I don't really get it myself, I feel it's sort of akin to mega Star Wars fans never being happy with any of the output outside the original trilogy, probably in part due to the nostalgia factor but you can't re-create the past. I don't really have that as I only got properly into Pearl Jam after Backspacer and it's probably my fave PJ album as a result and while I found Lightening Bolt a pretty disappointing follow up, returning to it since I'm definitely less harsh on it.

The idea that all their post-90s material is average at best is nonsense imo but everyones got different tastes.
(2) thanks from:
24-01-2020, 14:05   #3416
greenspurs

Quote:

Id say you should 'expand' on that also !???

Maybe you haven't liked/followed the band since the very start then if you do prefer the newer stuff? ?
24-01-2020, 14:59   #3417
Stu Redman

From listening to a brief interview with Stone Gossard, it seems that DOTC is the most experimental song on the new album. The rest of the collection features "rock songs and ballads".

I've suddenly gone from the excitement of a new direction on this album, to the fear of Lightning Bolt: The Sequel.
25-01-2020, 09:33   #3418
eviltimeban

I'm ok with rock songs and ballads, if they are good rock songs and ballads. And the production is good.

The production on DOTC seems a bit different, so hopefully that'll carry through to the rest of the material. I'm not expecting 12 classic songs on there, but let's hope for at least a few good ones. And the cover art is nice - the last few albums have had pretty awful artwork. Hopefully the overall "package" will be worth it - hoping the vinyl has some nice artwork inside.

I'd say the peak of the quality was the run of Ten / Vs / Vitalogy / No Code / Yield. After that it went a bit downhill, but came back with Backspacer which was a tight, consistent album, that had a bunch of really good songs. Lightning Bolt was a step backwards.
Thanks from:
25-01-2020, 18:16   #3419
fluke

Ten through to Riot Act great. Avocado solid as is Backspacer (if a little slight) and then Lightning Bolt which is patchy.

All there is to it really.
Thanks from:
26-01-2020, 01:35   #3420
RicketyCricket

Bit too much slagging off of Matt Cameron here for my liking. Great drummer. Listen to some bloody Soundgarden and realise how good he is. Love the new song, especially the anrgy-ish vocals from Eddie. Severed Hand is my favourite song from PJ from recent albums. Great intro, guitars and vocals. Oh man to hear it live again!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion