Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
23-01-2020, 22:14   #46
kub
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTon View Post
Question on automation of electric gates:
Is it possible to have gates connected to a Wi-Fi setup easily? I have the option to put a SIM card in so you can ring but was looking to not do that
Any advice appreciated

Yes, that can be done.


Is this a whole new system or an existing one?


Just to give you an idea of what is out there, if it is new :


https://www.cameconnect.net/came/pages/index_en.html
kub is offline  
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-01-2020, 09:44   #47
Stoner
Moderator
 
Stoner's Avatar
Sonoff units, the low voltage type, can be added to give voice control over wifi, Google home, Alexa etc
Stoner is offline  
(2) thanks from:
24-01-2020, 10:00   #48
RonTon
Registered User
 
RonTon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Cheers guys , it’s an existing automated gate,what I’d like to be able to do is control them with Alexa or widget on phone ,something like that ,was looking at trying to set up something like a broadlink hub but I don’t know if that would work ,I do have Wi-Fi that reaches the gate and a shed close .i also have security camera pointed at gate so I can check before opening.
Any idea would the broadlink work ?

Broadlink RM Pro+ WiFi Smart Home Hub, IR RF All in One Automation Learning Universal Remote Control Compatible for Apple Android Smartphones, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CNP9M..._8bSkEbZQ4W6M1

The fob I use is a Ditec
Remote DITEC GOL4 C https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0177QV7..._fzSkEb0MGN7S7

Last edited by RonTon; 24-01-2020 at 10:26.
RonTon is offline  
24-01-2020, 21:47   #49
kub
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTon View Post
Cheers guys , it’s an existing automated gate,what I’d like to be able to do is control them with Alexa or widget on phone ,something like that ,was looking at trying to set up something like a broadlink hub but I don’t know if that would work ,I do have Wi-Fi that reaches the gate and a shed close .i also have security camera pointed at gate so I can check before opening.
Any idea would the broadlink work ?

Broadlink RM Pro+ WiFi Smart Home Hub, IR RF All in One Automation Learning Universal Remote Control Compatible for Apple Android Smartphones, Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CNP9M..._8bSkEbZQ4W6M1

The fob I use is a Ditec
Remote DITEC GOL4 C https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0177QV7..._fzSkEb0MGN7S7
Ok, Stoner might be able to assist you with the home automation stuff.

But regardless of what you get to hook up with your wife, it will need to have a dry normally open contact which will need to be actually wired into your gate controller as opposed to trying to get the unit to communicate with the remotes or remote receiver, the frequency on those is miles away from wifi frequencies.
kub is offline  
Thanks from:
28-01-2020, 10:19   #50
RonTon
Registered User
 
RonTon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
I ordered a sonoff rf hub ,gonna try that ,under €20 delivered so worth a punt ,hopefully it will read and learn the frequency , as far as I can tell mine isn’t a rolling code so it might work .
If that doesn’t work I’ll try the broad link hub
RonTon is offline  
Advertisement
28-01-2020, 11:04   #51
BrownFinger
Registered User
 
BrownFinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,645
Let us know how you get on.
I want to do similar with my faac gate.
I've been planing on modding my spare gate remote so a sonoff can pulse it.
BrownFinger is offline  
Thanks from:
28-01-2020, 12:47   #52
RonTon
Registered User
 
RonTon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownFinger View Post
Let us know how you get on.
I want to do similar with my faac gate.
I've been planing on modding my spare gate remote so a sonoff can pulse it.
Will do , I think it will be a week or so before it arrives...
RonTon is offline  
28-01-2020, 13:02   #53
danny004
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTon View Post
I ordered a sonoff rf hub ,gonna try that ,under €20 delivered so worth a punt ,hopefully it will read and learn the frequency , as far as I can tell mine isn’t a rolling code so it might work .
If that doesn’t work I’ll try the broad link hub
I did this recently but had an existing button inside the hall to open the gates ,I bought a cheap wifi 1 channel switch from amazon and paralleled the switch with the button.
The switch I then configured a routine in IFTTT and created a shortcut on my iphone so now I can say Hey Siri open the gates
My wife has an android phone and thats even easier to configure saying OK Google but also you can create a perimeter around your home of like 500 meters so when the phone enters the perimeter then the gates start to open so by the time the car arrives they are already opened.
Reason I put in the gates is family member makes gates and friend sells kits and installs . In 8 years they have never given a singe days trouble and although the box that holds the motor and hydraulic unit is not waterproof to any standard with proper soakaway you will never have trouble.
I identify with people talking about snobery etc for electric gates but when I got then at the time the kids were young so it kept them in ,now kids are a little older they are just part of the house.
Between 4 and 5k all in id say is about right
danny004 is offline  
Thanks from:
28-01-2020, 13:13   #54
RonTon
Registered User
 
RonTon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny004 View Post
I did this recently but had an existing button inside the hall to open the gates ,I bought a cheap wifi 1 channel switch from amazon and paralleled the switch with the button.
The switch I then configured a routine in IFTTT and created a shortcut on my iphone so now I can say Hey Siri open the gates
My wife has an android phone and thats even easier to configure saying OK Google but also you can create a perimeter around your home of like 500 meters so when the phone enters the perimeter then the gates start to open so by the time the car arrives they are already opened.
Reason I put in the gates is family member makes gates and friend sells kits and installs . In 8 years they have never given a singe days trouble and although the box that holds the motor and hydraulic unit is not waterproof to any standard with proper soakaway you will never have trouble.
I identify with people talking about snobery etc for electric gates but when I got then at the time the kids were young so it kept them in ,now kids are a little older they are just part of the house.
Between 4 and 5k all in id say is about right
I just wouldn’t know where to wire a Wi-Fi switch in the box by the gate(waterproof box ,the company that did mine did a great job no problem in 5 years with it ,they gave me an option of putting in a phone sim but I didn’t want a monthly cost of that ) ,I’m hoping with my solution there’d be none of that wiring to the control box
RonTon is offline  
Advertisement
31-01-2020, 09:56   #55
RonTon
Registered User
 
RonTon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
So the Sonoff rf bridge came sooner than I expected,setup was easy but unfortunately it wouldn’t pair with the fob ...
Back to the drawing board ...
Any other suggestions welcome
RonTon is offline  
31-01-2020, 12:21   #56
RonTon
Registered User
 
RonTon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny004 View Post
I did this recently but had an existing button inside the hall to open the gates ,I bought a cheap wifi 1 channel switch from amazon and paralleled the switch with the button.
The switch I then configured a routine in IFTTT and created a shortcut on my iphone so now I can say Hey Siri open the gates
My wife has an android phone and thats even easier to configure saying OK Google but also you can create a perimeter around your home of like 500 meters so when the phone enters the perimeter then the gates start to open so by the time the car arrives they are already opened.
Reason I put in the gates is family member makes gates and friend sells kits and installs . In 8 years they have never given a singe days trouble and although the box that holds the motor and hydraulic unit is not waterproof to any standard with proper soakaway you will never have trouble.
I identify with people talking about snobery etc for electric gates but when I got then at the time the kids were young so it kept them in ,now kids are a little older they are just part of the house.
Between 4 and 5k all in id say is about right
Would u be able to give a description of what you did with the Wi-Fi switch ?
I have a button in hall (wired) to open gate
Thanks
RonTon is offline  
01-02-2020, 00:32   #57
kub
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonTon View Post
So the Sonoff rf bridge came sooner than I expected,setup was easy but unfortunately it wouldn’t pair with the fob ...
Back to the drawing board ...
Any other suggestions welcome
A Sonoff will not pair with your gate remote, they are on totally different frequencies.
The way a Sonoff is connected is that it gets paired with your Wifi.
It then needs to be wired to the pulse input of your gate controller.
Use the Common and Normally Open terminals of the Sonoff.
Do you have a switch anywhere that you could use to connect the Sonoff unit to?
kub is offline  
01-02-2020, 06:26   #58
tech
Registered User
 
tech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,513
was also looking at doing the same, I think you need the Sonoff Pro as this can be powered by a 12v power

If youd use a sonoff std switch , this would be 220v? and would fry the gate remote?

https://sonoff.tech/product/wifi-diy.../4ch-r2-pro-r2
tech is offline  
01-02-2020, 17:01   #59
RonTon
Registered User
 
RonTon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 101
It’s a sonoff bridge that sends out a Rf signal, itlearns a signal that u pair it with ,works with up to 4 separate fobs/remotes with up to 4 buttons that I bought ,controllable through phone app ,if it did pair with fob it would has been perfect, my fob is a ditec GOL4 C ,as far as I could see the C model isn’t a rolling code so it could of worked , there’s many clips of it working with garage doors on YouTube but also examples of it not working...
It’s was worth a punt I thought..
I’m sure there is a place on on control box by gate a Wi-Fi switch could be added or somehow to add a Wi-Fi switch to the intercom/button in hall to open gate but I don’t know how to do that.
If anyone knows where there’s a link to instructions how to do that I’d really appreciate it .
Tyty
RonTon is offline  
01-02-2020, 18:21   #60
BrownFinger
Registered User
 
BrownFinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 6,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by tech View Post

If youd use a sonoff std switch , this would be 220v? and would fry the gate remote?

https://sonoff.tech/product/wifi-diy.../4ch-r2-pro-r2

Oh you need to make a mod to the sonoff.
It's just cutting a trace on the PCB with a hacksaw.
Turns it into a no voltage contact.
Have a look on YouTube.

I went to do it last night but had used up my stock of sonoffs.

I might connect my sonoff to the intercom button.
I have access to the cable up in the attic.
BrownFinger is offline  
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet