Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT online inspection booking form.

Options
  • 17-01-2020 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi, I am filling out the online VRT inspection booking form.
    What is the vehicle type of my Campervan as there is no option for Motorhome/camper in the drop down menu when Choosing.
    Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Vehicle type M1 with Body code SA

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Fintea

When I go into the NCT website and go to the importing a vehicle part of the VRT section I am asked for vehicle reg, last 7 digits of vin,
    vehicle type (options are car, motorbike, lgv, minibus, hgv, bus and machinery. This is the section I’m stuck on as there is no option for motorhome/M1 etc.)
    Tried ringing the nct on Friday but no answer.

Put it down as car, thats an M1 vehicle.

Great thanks ��

So I brought it to the NCT today for its VRT inspection. I thought I had everything in order however the person inspecting the vehicle didn't know where to look for the chassis number or the engine number. I thought that information was on the metal plate that is located at the passenger door. But the person told me that the metal plate would not do. They said there was a number actually on the chassis. I didn't know where to look either. So i have to re-book the vrt check up with the locations of the chassis number plus a headed paper with the engine number from the dealer even though I told them I bought the van privately.
    They also told me that I would be paying a lot more VRT on my campervan than the vintage €200 as it was a motorhome even though the camper is 32 years old.
    On the semi finished declaration form they have Make-Volkswagon, Model-T25, Version-4DR LHD. Should there not be a mention of campervan in the Model part?

• Advertisement

Chassis number is stamped on the rear of the O/S front chassis outrigger.
    Look for the jacking point and the metal bar that connects that to the chassis longitudinal is the outrigger.
    It may be covered with dirt and sealant or rust so you might need to clean it.

Spoke to Revenue in Rosslare and they said it was bizarre that my Campervan is not classed as a vehicle.
    I’ve to ring Revenue back when I bring the camper back for re-inspection.

30yrs is the age and is immaterial what they class it as, however it should be noted on the book as a campervan if it actually a campervan.
    What does the previous logbook state it is? It should be Wohnmobile if it was German

CJhaughey wrote: »
    30yrs is the age and is immaterial what they class it as, however it should be noted on the book as a campervan if it actually a campervan.
    What does the previous logbook state it is? It should be Wohnmobile if it was German

It’s UK VC5 is down as motor caravan. It’s an original Westfalia build. I have papers going back to the 90’s including German of it being a Wohnmobile.

Should be no problem then.
    Some of the VRT staff are simply ignorant of the differences between different classes of vehicles.
    Don't worry I am sure it will be fine in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Fintea wrote: »
    It’s UK VC5 is down as motor caravan. It’s an original Westfalia build. I have papers going back to the 90’s including German of it being a Wohnmobile.

'Motor Caravan' is the official legal definition of a M category vehicle constructed to include living accommodation which contains at least the following equipment:
    - seats and table,
    - sleeping accommodation which may be converted from the seats,
    - cooking facilities, and
    - storage facilities.

If there are not more than 8 passenger seats it's an M1 category.

'Camper', 'RV', 'Motorhome', 'Campervan', etc are all colloquial descriptions.

As it’s 32 years old is it not a Category C?

As it’s 32 years old is it not a Category C?

Never seen the definition of a Category C vehicle, what is it, where can it be found:confused:

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Never seen the definition of a Category C vehicle, what is it, where can it be found:confused:

Here is a link, scroll down and you wil find Car C.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/calculating-vrt/applying-the-tax.aspx

At crossed purposes.
    Yes, for VRT, being over 30 years old it's in VRT Category C, €200 VRT.
    As for vehicle category, as listed at (J) on in the Registration Certificate, a camper (motor caravan) is in EU vehicle category M1 (passenger vehicle with not more than eight passenger seats).

niloc1951 wrote: »
    At crossed purposes.
    Yes, for VRT, being over 30 years old it's in VRT Category C, €200 VRT.
    As for vehicle category, as listed at (J) on in the Registration Certificate, a camper (motor caravan) is in EU vehicle category M1 (passenger vehicle with not more than eight passenger seats).

So on my logbook it should read M1 but for VRT it’s Cat C (vintage vehicle). Is that correct?

I was back in the VRT office today and I dealt with somebody different. This person was I can only describe as brilliant who was efficient and knew her job very well.
    The papers are on their way to revenue so it should be sorted in a week or so.

So on my logbook it should read M1 but for VRT it’s Cat C (vintage vehicle). Is that correct?

Yes the log book (Registration Certificate) should have M1 at (J).
    At (J.1) the VRT Category should be the rate relevant when the vehicle was assessed which is C for vintage and for all that were VRT assesed before they changed motor caravans from Category C to B on 01/01/2011

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jolkey

I'm importing a 2015 motorhome from UK next week. 2 issues: 1.The dealer says he has to register it in my name and tax it before I drive it away. As I understand the UK vehicle registration process, the log book (V5C) will be sent by the dealer to the DVLA who will register me as the owner and send me back the V5C. But I need the V5C to go to NCTS within 30 days for inspection and VRT processing. 2. The dealer says that the V5C doesn't state CO2 emission level but the NCTS FAQ says I need this. Can anyone clarify these issues?

jolkey wrote: »
    I'm importing a 2015 motorhome from UK next week. 2 issues: 1.The dealer says he has to register it in my name and tax it before I drive it away. As I understand the UK vehicle registration process, the log book (V5C) will be sent by the dealer to the DVLA who will register me as the owner and send me back the V5C. But I need the V5C to go to NCTS within 30 days for inspection and VRT processing. 2. The dealer says that the V5C doesn't state CO2 emission level but the NCTS FAQ says I need this. Can anyone clarify these issues?

The DVLA will not post a V5C to an address outside of GB
    See post #2 HERE

• Advertisement

In my case the seller(private sale) filled in part 11 the permanent export bit of the v5c as it was being exported outside the UK. The seller cut that part off and sent it to the dvla. The seller gave me the rest of the V5c form which I then used for the VRT NCT registration. It is now re-registered on ZV(thought I’d keep it old school) plates. VRT was €200.

I also had an MOT with the campervan which I have now (this week) converted to a two year DOE through the RSA who were brilliant and very helpful in loughrea Galway. So if there is an MOT with the motorhome make sure you get that.

I can now tax my campervan.

Don’t know about taxing it in the UK as I had my campervan out of the UK within 24hrs of officially buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rileyelf1

Hi all, new to this forum, got a question I want to import a 36 year old talbot campervan that needs restoring does anyone know the vrt implications ,because it is a vintage vehicle, thanks edd.

Advertisement