Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PayPal changed funding method without consent

Options
  • 15-07-2020 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Has anyone had a problem with PayPal changing the funding source of their account without permission?

MyPayPal account is funded by my virtual Revolut card for eBay purchases in GBP.

I have made a few eBay purchases in the last few months without an issue and the GBP amount was taken from my Revolut virtual card GBP balance.

For transferring money from eBay sales into my Revolut account, I also have the Revolut account IBAN/BIC for EUR transfers from PayPal to Revolut and Sort Code/Account number for GBP transfers from PayPal to Revolut.

I made an eBay purchase yesterday in GBP, as usual, but noted PayPal exchanged the EUR equivalent in to GBP using their own exchange rate, despite there being a GBP balance in my Revolut account.

On PayPal, I have noticed the funding source was my Revolut account rather than the virtual card (both are the same Revolut account) which seems to have prompted a EURO to GBP exchange rather than using the virtual card number which just debits my GBP balance.

In PayPal the virtual Revolut card is listed as my "preferred" payment method but the Revolut account number has been used instead.

I did not change the funding source from Revolut virtual card to Revolut card.

The payment should have been made in GBP only as it was in the previous GBP purchases.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Comments

ATC110 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a problem with PayPal changing the funding source of their account without permission?

MyPayPal account is funded by my virtual Revolut card for eBay purchases in GBP.

I have made a few eBay purchases in the last few months without an issue and the GBP amount was taken from my Revolut virtual card GBP balance.

For transferring money from eBay sales into my Revolut account, I also have the Revolut account IBAN/BIC for EUR transfers from PayPal to Revolut and Sort Code/Account number for GBP transfers from PayPal to Revolut.

I made an eBay purchase yesterday in GBP, as usual, but noted PayPal exchanged the EUR equivalent in to GBP using their own exchange rate, despite there being a GBP balance in my Revolut account.

On PayPal, I have noticed the funding source was my Revolut account rather than the virtual card (both are the same Revolut account) which seems to have prompted a EURO to GBP exchange rather than using the virtual card number which just debits my GBP balance.

In PayPal the virtual Revolut card is listed as my "preferred" payment method but the Revolut account number has been used instead.

I did not change the funding source from Revolut virtual card to Revolut card.

The payment should have been made in GBP only as it was in the previous GBP purchases.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

I see this a lot when purchasing in different currencies. You have to select the payment source and change the currency from EUR to whatever currency your trying to buy in otherwise you get hit with their rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭dubrov

Paypal are terrible for trying to apply their own FX rate. It's clearly deliberate.
    I got caught out previously for small transactions.

You have to be careful when you are paying with them and check the currency.

You could always try and complain directly to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

OmegaGene wrote: »
    never happened to me where it has changed on its own, are you sure you didnt select revolut account by mistake when going onto the paypal link to pay i did this once a couple of years ago ?
    i

Good question but no I didn't - the "preferred" payment method is the Revolut virtual card.

The Revolut account is listed as another payment option but the previous purchases were all debited from the Revolut card in GBP.

Even if the Revolut account had been the payment method, the account IBAN and BIC are UK based and I have a GBP balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭ATC110

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Hop onto the chat and ask them what went wrong

I’ve been having a circular discussion on chat for a few days - they keep saying it’s because of the base currency of the country and/or it was due to the payment method being the account.
    I’ve explained repeatedly that I hadn’t made any changes and all the previous payments were in GBP..

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Yes, yesterday. I managed to notice beforehand because I had a gbp balance on my PayPal account for eBay and I saw it was trying to use my Irish bank which would hav charged in eur and had their crappy exchange rate.

Luckily I saw it just before I clicked buy.

I was on my work computer so don't have the one click payment set up, in my personal equipment I wouldn't have noticed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement