Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Royal Mail delivery to Ireland with no country in address

Options
  • 07-12-2019 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I hope I have the correct forum.
    I ordered a small item from an ebay seller in the UK and sent via royal mail.
    The item fits in a envelope and has my town,county and eircode but no country.
    Past orders from this seller did not include a return address.

Is there a reasonable chance the letter will still make it to Ireland or should I consider it lost? It was posted on Monday and has not arrived yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wouldn't panic just yet, things get busy at Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Victor wrote: »
    I wouldn't panic just yet, things get busy at Christmas.

No really panicked. Just trying to figure out royal mails standard practice. I think it will be clear to them which country it should go to but it will be short on postage costs, would they send it on and I could collect at the post office and pay the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,247 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I can't see any post office get into an international surplus postage position - too messy.

If the different is modest, they may ignore. If it is substantial, they would likely try to return to sender.

Yeah that makes sence. I've asked the seller if they have any info.
    Unless they realised it was going to Ireland my guess is they put a UK 1st class stamp on it (£0.70) and the economy for western Europe is £1.20 so it probably only has a little over 50% of required postage :(
    Not sure if that would be considered a modest difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭SPDUB

tuxy wrote: »
    Yeah that makes sence. I've asked the seller if they have any info.
    Unless they realised it was going to Ireland my guess is they put a UK 1st class stamp on it (£0.70) and the economy for western Europe is £1.20 so it probably only has a little over 50% of required postage :(
    Not sure if that would be considered a modest difference.

Royal Mail have a habit , if not enough postage for Ireland and no return address on an item , to hold onto it for a month or so and then pass it on to An Post .

• Advertisement

SPDUB wrote: »
    Royal Mail have a habit , if not enough postage for Ireland and no return address on an item , to hold onto it for a month or so and then pass it on to An Post .

Interesting, still not here thanks for this info.
    I guess it's actually generous if they do pass it on at all because An Post would still charge royal mail full price for it right?
    I've no idea how international mail works.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Happened to me before where the sender forgot to put Ireland, it somehow ended up in Belfast according to the tracking, was sent back to London and then eventually handed over to An Post.

They generally won't bother with the hassle of returning to sender (especially if there's no return address) and will just send it on. But of course there's no guarantee that it won't just end up in a pile somewhere.

Ok will that's more promising than I figured. I assumed standard practice may have been to hold on to it for a while and then destroy it.
    It's good to know there is a reasonable chance I will get it eventually once it does not get lost and forgotten about.
    Won't get may hopes up but it will be a nice surprise if it shows up in a month or so.

It arrived and it didn't have sufficient postage paid!
    Only held up about 3 working days longer than normal.

Advertisement