Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CVRT vs NCT

• 22-02-2020 10:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

Recently bought a 2004 corolla van 1.4 d4d. Having always being used to NCTs I have to have a DOE or CVRT done on this next friday.

What's the main differences in tests and also costs ?

My mechanic has told me the CVRT doesnt tend to be as hard either it's TRUE or not :)

Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

They are more laid back for sure but they won't let anything unsafe pass. I had a Jeep once & the tester put a liter of oil in before testing emissions. Apparently my oil level was low. Low oil level can give higher emissions. The liter of oil was on my invoice. You wont see the NCT center do that.

It costs 111.16 Euro takes around the same time as NCT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    They are more laid back for sure but they won't let anything unsafe pass. I had a Jeep once & the tester put a liter of oil in before testing emissions. Apparently my oil level was low. Low oil level can give higher emissions. The liter of oil was on my invoice. You wont see the NCT center do that.

It costs 111.16 Euro takes around the same time as NCT

Had something similar happen to me but with wipers. Test probably just as hard but the staff at the CVRT places will take the time to talk to you and are more relaxed. NCT lads will tell you a few vague words before rushing off to the next car and you have a girlie sitting behind bullet proof glass taking any excuse to send you back home if she can find a reason

Cvrt is a more stringent test..... Brake disc thickness etc are looked at.
    But the CVRT centres are generally family owned, local folk who are helpful.

As sleeper points out some places will be proactive to get the vehicle a pass there and then. I needed wipers on a thing I was getting tested for my workplace once and they fitted them after the test at the garage next door that was owned by them also. Cert was a normal pass, guy came out half way during test and said wipers were needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

And if you fail a retest must be completed within 21 days, not the 30 days as for NCT.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Thanks lads , I have a bad tear in my drivers seat , due to the dog being hungry 😂 would that be a fail or would a car seat cover be ideal for this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭hopeso

Another thing with the CVRT is that you choose where you have it done. If you know any van owners, or mechanics, maybe have a word with them to see if they recommend somewhere, or know of somewhere to avoid. Like everything, some places are worse than others.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,155 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

pudzey101 wrote:
    Thanks lads , I have a bad tear in my drivers seat , due to the dog being hungry 😂 would that be a fail or would a car seat cover be ideal for this ?

My friend was failed on this. He bought a seat cover & passed straight away. Just buy a cheap seat cover before the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭tphase

hopeso wrote: »
    Another thing with the CVRT is that you choose where you have it done. If you know any van owners, or mechanics, maybe have a word with them to see if they recommend somewhere, or know of somewhere to avoid. Like everything, some places are worse than others.....
    the same applies to the NCT. You can check the test statistics by centre if you want to select a centre with a lower failure rate

Advertisement