Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAP cuts/ do we have a Taoiseach?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,501 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Neddyusa wrote: »
    That's it - you've jinxed it now.
    You'll get the phonecall in the morning!

Bring it on.
    Nothin to worry about.
    We could do with a day tidying up silly stuff that’s gotten untidy over the winter but nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,373 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    Bring it on.
    Nothin to worry about.
    We could do with a day tidying up silly stuff that’s gotten untidy over the winter but nothing to worry about.

Thats the spirit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,075 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Bring it on.
    Nothin to worry about.

Inspections get bad press, not all of it deserved

Masifxx wrote: »
    These payments bring in over €1billion a year to farmers in Ireland. Sure there is compliance/inspections but not many farmers could afford to ignore payments or take less payments unless you have other sources of income. The price of our product is getting further from our control. We had protests of all kinds last year and still no impact on the beef price. Drove it down if anything.
    Payments are a political decision. Farmers fund an IFA office in Brussels and this is where the action is on this. Are the farm Groups in other countries putting up much of a fight? Looks to me like the farm lobby in Europe has weakened?

Urbanisation of populations and globalisation of food supply weakened farming grip on the EU budget. They are balancing allowing access to sufficient non EU food to keep farming lobbies at bay while using that access to open markets outside EU for massive French and German companies, it’s a win win for European beauracrats.

Farm organisations should be out lobbying for increased funds and 100% channel that into biodiversity and climate measures. That is something the overall population actually want and will even support the money being spent on.

Farming neededs to move with the times, follow the money and public sentiment, take advantage of that huge groundswell of populism for climate and push for the money that will back it up.

But instead we have the IFA our there fighting to maintain a 30 year old legacy system with no relevance to modern times at all. Not much wonder farming is seen as a backwards dinosaur by the wider community.

Going about saying farmers are “entitled” to make a living and “entitled” to keep the same payment process from 30 years ago reeks of the won’t work brigade saying they are “entitled” to free houses in Dublin because that’s where they were born 30 years ago. Times have changed, we need to push for a new modern system where accessing more cap % is the goal not minimising the losses.

Urbanisation of populations and globalisation of food supply weakened farming grip on the EU budget. They are balancing allowing access to sufficient non EU food to keep farming lobbies at bay while using that access to open markets outside EU for massive French and German companies, it’s a win win for European beauracrats.

Farm organisations should be out lobbying for increased funds and 100% channel that into biodiversity and climate measures. That is something the overall population actually want and will even support the money being spent on.

Farming neededs to move with the times, follow the money and public sentiment, take advantage of that huge groundswell of populism for climate and push for the money that will back it up.

But instead we have the IFA our there fighting to maintain a 30 year old legacy system with no relevance to modern times at all. Not much wonder farming is seen as a backwards dinosaur by the wider community.

Going about saying farmers are “entitled” to make a living and “entitled” to keep the same payment process from 30 years ago reeks of the won’t work brigade saying they are “entitled” to free houses in Dublin because that’s where they were born 30 years ago. Times have changed, we need to push for a new modern system where accessing more cap % is the goal not minimising the losses.

You really haven't a clue. IFA have an environment section marking all that,
    unlike beef plan, IFA is not a one trick pony,
    Farmers are elected to run the show by farmers, bad mouthing serves no purpose, It's unlikely you know more than the thirty farmers plus the professionals on the Environment committee
    You've seen the result from those that thought they knew more than IFA and could do better....... see where they are now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,158 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The one problem I have with all the biodiversity and carbon talk is that in this country there could be money taken off full time farmers and being given instead to Semi state companies such as bord na Mona and Coillte.
    They have the land and can claim whatever biodiversity and carbon claims they like and could potentially be looking at a very substantial yearly windfall just based on being large landowners of such land.
    There's tons of vested interests lobbying for changes but at the end of the day they're all scrambling out for themselves and what's worse is they are not obvious to the neglected small farmer who thinks such change will benefit them.
    Heck even the forestry companies are lobbying for a yearly ad infinitum payment to be made to their growers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

wrangler wrote: »
    Farmers are elected to run the show by farmers, bad mouthing serves no purpose, It's unlikely you know more than the thirty farmers plus the professionals on the Environment committee
    You've seen the result from those that thought they knew more than IFA and could do better....... see where they are now.

What have they achieved for the environment/biodiversity funding?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

In many respects I feel sortry for the IFA they know full well that this “upwards only” nonsense will never work but if they ask for anything different they end up abandoning half their membership. The end result is they can’t do any effective lobbying on the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 18,214 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

In many respects I feel sortry for the IFA they know full well that this “upwards only” nonsense will never work but if they ask for anything different they end up abandoning half their membership. The end result is they can’t do any effective lobbying on the issue

The problem s lot of people have with that I'd that it misleads people mostly older farmers. They already have lost ten of thousands of members and they have lost funding by misleading people. INHFA was founded after the debacle of the last CAP reorganisation as farmers in the West of Ireland were very unhappy with the organisation. The EIF deductions again mislead people. Upwards only convergence is just another mistake by them.

I posted earlier that the solution to decking farmers incomes lies at processor's gates. I did not mean literally protests at gates but rather action in limiting there ability to dictate price, stopping anti competitive practices and changing the imbalance of power between farmers and processor's.

Imagining that we can increase farmer incomes by lobbying the EU to increase their funding is not s winner. It time it changed its focus the state and EU are no longer the goose to be plucked

Slava Ukrainii

Nothing worse than a one trick pony only those that defend it to the end. If they were eating babies for breakfast there’s be the idiots defending them.

• Advertisement

What have they achieved for the environment/biodiversity funding?

there was € 200m+ paid out in glas in 2018,

Nothing worse than a one trick pony only those that defend it to the end. If they were eating babies for breakfast there’s be the idiots defending them.

Whinge on then, You can't come on here telling lies and expect no one to refute them

Whinge on then, You can't come on here telling lies and expect no one to refute them

No lies in saying the IFA are protecting a system to protect payments to farms based on 25-30 year old data. It’s a sham.

As for having a pop at beef plan, it’s not like the IFA haven’t been found georging in the trough of easy money flowing in from levies.

No lies in saying the IFA are protecting a system to protect payments to farms based on 25-30 year old data. It’s a sham.

As for having a pop at beef plan, it’s not like the IFA haven’t been found georging in the trough of easy money flowing in from levies.

It's a sham only to those that backed the wrong horse, after the milk quota we learnt that the EU draws a line and if you're on the wrong side you're f...ed.
    I didn't even take what i was due out of IFA,so lovely to be able to say f... you when accused
    Beef plans biggest problem will have nothing to do with money,

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Masifxx wrote: »
    I heard Tim Cullinan on the Radio about proposals from the EU to cut CAP payments. He said the latest proposal could cost Irish farmers €100m per year? He said this could be decided this Thursday. Yet our politicians seem totally focussed on the outcome of the election. It seems that only for the IFA in Brussels there wouldn’t have been a word about it. This is a serious worry. Do we actually have a Taoiseach to go to this meeting?

I doubt very much if it would make much difference if the current Taoiseach goes to any meetings or not.
    From what I have seen, he would appear to be more interested in having his photo taken and bluffing instead of making any meaningful contribution.

I doubt very much if it would make much difference if the current Taoiseach goes to any meetings or not.
    From what I have seen, he would appear to be more interested in having his photo taken and bluffing instead of making any meaningful contribution.

The Council of ministers meeting is tomorrow he is going to that. However the heads of agreement including what the parliament want and the Commission want will have to be allowed for. The days are gone where the council of ministers decided everything.

There is limitations the present net contributors in general do not want to increase there kevel.of contribution. CAP is still in its entirety nearly 50% of the EU budget. There was never not going to be cuts. I highlighted at the time of the IFA presidential debates that CAP was bound to be cut back because of Brexit. No point in blaming the Toiseach or the IFA saying he should be in Bruxelles for the last wek. Irish officials will have been contributing for the last month. The big problem is IFA while highlighting the issue were giving the BS line of UOC as if it was possible.

However you have to question the FJ editor Justin McCarthy he did a live interview with the three candidates. There was two glaring problems he glossed over one was the UOC sh!the and the second part is the way he glossed over issues with nitrates, calf exports and general dairying expansion

Slava Ukrainii

The only policy they should've had, and it worked well the last time, was that no one should lose.
    The other organizations had the same policy but they weren't as vocal bout it.
    We fought a 30% cut the last time as well..... and won

Ah it's not so bad. I'll be losing 22000/yr from next year if I don't buy 100 acres in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

where can I find a set of accounts published by the IFA

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Masifxx

The way this thread has gone illustrates a problem we seem to have developed. We are mad to fight with each other about the beef ‘plan’(s) and how we divide CAP funds. We need to stop this and focus our efforts on holding those who make the decisions to account -rather than blaming our own lobbyists. There is one sure thing here- a cut in the CAP budget is bad for Irish farming. Let’s put the pressure on the Taoiseach and those representing us at this meeting. #NOCAPCUTS

To have an idea of the challenges facing CAP read this. It also highlights other challenges. One big challenge is we need to define what is our description of grass fed beef

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/opinion-does-irish-farming-need-to-brace-for-a-sharp-sudden-jolt/

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

where can I find a set of accounts published by the IFA

2019 report isn't out yet, here's 2018 report, page 132

https://www.ifa.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/IFA-AnnualReport-2018.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4 paradigmnshift

There was never not going to be cuts. I highlighted at the time of the IFA presidential debates that CAP was bound to be cut back because of Brexit.

PESCO is the bogeyman here I believe not Brexit.

To have an idea of the challenges facing CAP read this. It also highlights other challenges. One big challenge is we need to define what is our description of grass fed beef

https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/opinion-does-irish-farming-need-to-brace-for-a-sharp-sudden-jolt/

I'm not a bit surprised.
    Beef plan planted that little gem. one of them even wrote to english supermarkets about it.
    They spent the whole year bad mouthing Irish beef

I'm not a bit surprised.
    Beef plan planted that little gem. one of them even wrote to english supermarkets about it.
    They spent the whole year bad mouthing Irish beef

BS.

For the last ten years Teagasc has advocated high ration diets as the most efficient method of winter finishing. It was only a matter of time before we would be challenged on this. The reality is that bigger feedlot units are trading on a grass fed image where as these cattle can not be described as grass finished beef.

You are like a broken record about BP and there is little reasoning to your obsession with them neither do you give any analysis as your bling for them.

We are now nearly six months from the strike yet you still blame BP for present issues. The reason is we gave a cartel which BP tried to take on but there is a core that support the cartel

Slava Ukrainii

BS.

For the last ten years Teagasc has advocated high ration diets as the most efficient method of winter finishing. It was only a matter of time before we would be challenged on this. The reality is that bigger feedlot units are trading on a grass fed image where as these cattle can not be described as grass finished beef.

You are like a broken record about BP and there is little reasoning to your obsession with them neither do you give any analysis as your bling for them.

We are now nearly six months from the strike yet you still blame BP for present issues. The reason is we gave a cartel which BP tried to take on but there is a core that support the cartel

Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

The letter refers to Irish farmers “force-feeding” cattle to reach under-30-month targets for beef. It was sent to Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Musgraves, Dunnes, Sainsbury’s and Asda.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.

Beef Plan regional chair Enda Fingleton has defended a letter to Irish and UK supermarkets that claims Bord Bia is “misleading” them about Ireland’s grass-fed beef.

The letter refers to Irish farmers “force-feeding” cattle to reach under-30-month targets for beef. It was sent to Aldi, Lidl, Tesco, Musgraves, Dunnes, Sainsbury’s and Asda.

It reads: “At the moment we feel that a certain organisation who approve the quality of Irish beef is misleading the supermarket chains and the public about our grass-fed product. If we got the 30-month rule changed here in Ireland, we could be producing better grass-fed animals with far less force feeding with grains and cereals”.

Ophhh
    You put it in bold, must he serious 🙄

Be all caps next

And it the truth over the last 4-5 years the finishing game has been redirected to short term finishing. The processor's had been paying regular suppliers 20c/kg more than smaller suppliers. The only way these lads could throughput numbers was feeding high energy diets either through ration or maize/root based diets.

Dr WTF should we allow out grass feed beef be paid less than feedlot beef

PS I do not need to shout to make my point

Slava Ukrainii

Ophhh
    You put it in bold, must he serious 🙄

Be all caps next

I always put any thing i copy in bold to distinguish from my comments.

hard to believe that they'd do that .........or maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

The money pot is getting smaller, society has moved on from food security, The focus is on biodiversity and climate action.

Leo is going over, not that sending Leo on this errand was ever going to yield much but that’s what we have.

Pillar II payments to be cut, focus defo not on biodiversity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Capercaillie

there was € 200m+ paid out in glas in 2018,

IFA lobbied for GLAS to be capped at 5000 and 7000 for GLAS+. IFA also lobbied for movement of 430 million euros in RDP that was earmarked for Natura farmers and was transferred to Pillar I payments.

GLAS scheme standards are so low in majority of measures so as to have very limited benefit to biodiversity.

Advertisement