Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family missed Ryanair flight due to “Silent Airport”

Options
  • 16-02-2020 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭

My wife and 2 small kids were travelling to kviv Ukraine this morning. Despite being there nearly 90 minutes early they missed their flight.

They had checked in luggage and were queuing in a long queue at a gate with 2 flights departing from that gate. They assumed that people queuing in front of them were for their flight. There was no announcement that the gate was closing for the flight and no call for my family’s names.

After they were told there are no announcements as it is a silent airport to cut down on noise pollution. When making their way back to Ryanair backage claim they noticed their bags sitting on a table. Their bags had obviously been removed when they didn’t turn up at the gate even though they were there.

The next flight is the day they are due to fly back so no point going.

Surely there should be some announcement made when gates are closing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

My wife and 2 small kids were travelling to kviv Ukraine this morning. Despite being there nearly 90 minutes early they missed their flight.

They had checked in luggage and were queuing in a long queue at a gate with 2 flights departing from that gate. They assumed that people queuing in front of them were for their flight. There was no announcement that the gate was closing for the flight and no call for my family’s names.

After they were told there are no announcements as it is a silent airport to cut down on noise pollution. When making their way back to Ryanair backage claim they noticed their bags sitting on a table. Their bags had obviously been removed when they didn’t turn up at the gate even though they were there.

The next flight is the day they are due to fly back so no point going.

Surely there should be some announcement made when gates are closing.

My name has never been called for a flight. Why didn't they approach the desk when the closing time was reached?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Sorry OP, I know it’s a pisser for your family but loads of airports don’t make announcements.

Up to the passengers to keep themselves in the loop. Rightfully so

• Registered Users Posts: 81,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No excuse really, there's public information displays, phone apps for each airport, all telling what gate to be at. Lots of airports doing this now, Dublin will hopefully follow. When I have been at a 'silent airport' there's an announcement to say it's a silent airport and there will be no calls to the gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭The Orb

Sorry OP, but how is this someone else's fault ?
    .....and 2 flights departing from one gate ?....really?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭bohsfan

Ryanair aren't responsible for the airports policies on announcements etc. When you are flying you really need to keep alert and not make assumptions. I know it can be tough when flying with kids, but you can't assume every airport works the same. Ask staff or double check the boards if you have any doubts at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

Yeah take this as a lesson learned and move on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭kilburn

Not possible to have 2 flights departing from the same gate

• Registered Users Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I always get to airport much earlier than I should....

I've also started using Fastrack as well. Good service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Which airport? It's their fault btw. No one else's. I know it didn't help but that's the absolute reality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Queues can get mixed. I was on a flight last weekend leaving from the downstairs gates on pier D in Dublin and arrived to have my boarding card scanned behind a group who were told they were supposed to be one queue over. Cue lots of laughing and joking about where they were off to.

That being said, watching the clock and information displays is always your business. I was being paged for a flight to the US but was in the lounge and didn’t hear it, wandered up at nearer the flight closing time to find a slightly panicked looking dispatcher. My fault, I assumed rather than stayed in the loop as to what was actually happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭thecomedian

The Orb wrote: »

Sounds like they were that late the next flight was already queuing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

People seem to feel that buying an airline ticket means getting personal services all the way. I see in Cork that a passenger didn’t want to leave his seat to check monitors on case he lost his seat and expected staff to call him when flight was going. Do people lose their ability to think when they enter an airport

• Registered Users Posts: 81,337 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

anplaya27 wrote: »
    Theres is if you're Deaf and the public displays are not updated. Has happened a few times and there was a recent case in the courts which an ISL user won v the daa due to them only announcing but not updating information boards.

Use the App then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Theres is if you're Deaf and the public displays are not updated. I had a delayed flight a few weeks ago, there was no information given and had no idea only for fellow passengers who had heard the announcements being made. There was a recent case in the courts which an ISL user won v the DAA due to them only announcing but not updating information boards.

There are special assistance services for deaf people.

Things like gate changes and errors on flight information screens if brought to their attention are announced over the pa system.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭wavehopper1

kilburn wrote: »

Probably the same desk processing two different flights. Obviously a cost-cutting measure for the airline, but it does lead to panicky queuers overhearing the people next to them discussing a different destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭IngazZagni

Deaf not deaf, huge difference. What special assistance? Can you tell me , seeing as you seem to know. Do they have Irish Sign Language interpreters following them everywhere in the airport or something ?

To be honest I had no idea there was a difference between deaf and Deaf. That’s my fault.
    I do know that OCS staff who usually deal with persons of reduced mobility are also trained to assist deaf/Deaf people when assistance is requested. From a practical point of view though I agree, unless someone is with you all the way through the airport which they will do if requested then it’ll be tough to know of a gate change unless you are constantly monitoring your original gate and the information screens if updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

They had checked in luggage and were queuing in a long queue at a gate with 2 flights departing from that gate. They assumed that people queuing in front of them were for their flight.
    The Orb wrote: »
    and 2 flights departing from one gate ?....really?

I have been in many a queue that contained passengers for different flights. Sometimes it's just airport inefficiency (e.g. Beauvais), sometimes it's a mix of late arrivals for a flight close to departure and early arrivals for the next flight (especially if it's a small airport with only a few gates), sometimes the separation into individual gate queues happens almost at the gate itself (Stansted).

In all cases, if the airport or airline staff don't walk along the line picking people out for "fast tracking" for the flight that's boarding, you just have to look out for yourself, skip the queue and tell them that you're there and need to be on the plane.

I can't quite understand, though, if they were there 90 minutes before gate closing time, how they weren't already right up beside the desk ... :confused:

When making their way back to Ryanair backage claim they noticed their bags sitting on a table. Their bags had obviously been removed when they didn’t turn up at the gate even though they were there.

Standard security protocol: unaccompanied bags don't fly. Where airports do make announcements, those desperate last-minute calls for "all remaining passengers" are more about matching cases already loaded with a name on board so that the flight isn't delayed while someone roots through the hold looking for cases that have to be taken off.

It's a rough deal for your wife and children, but the kind of mistake she/they'll only make once.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,130 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

If you are availing of special assistance and there is a gate change, they come and get you - sometimes before everyone else knows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

What’s intriguing for me is that the other 180 odd other people due to fly that day successfully managed to board the correct flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Must say I find the complaint from the OP a bit bizarre - I always find that I can't hear the announcements in airports anyway due to the large volume noise of the airport in general

Therefore I make it my business to check the notification boards for info on my flight and if I'm in any doubt at all I'll ask a member of staff for assistance

Were there any signs or notifications that it was a silent airport? It's the only fault I would have is that it may not have been obvious to people that it was a silent airport, no announcements, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,029 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Huge difference, like chalk and cheese.And the wtaf they provide wouldn't know Irish Sign Language either so theres a communication barrier. Trust me, I know. English is not a Deaf persons first language, Irish Sign Language is, which was recognised as an official native language of Ireland in 2017.

The OP made no reference to his family being Deaf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Nothing to do with that, just announcements being made. If Deaf you cant hear them.

But utterly irrelevant to this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,914 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The Orb wrote:
    kilburn wrote: »

I'm presuming it was a "gate lice" issue with people for the following flight queuing early.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Queues can get mixed. I was on a flight last weekend leaving from the downstairs gates on pier D in Dublin and arrived to have my boarding card scanned behind a group who were told they were supposed to be one queue over. Cue lots of laughing and joking about where they were off to.

That being said, watching the clock and information displays is always your business. I was being paged for a flight to the US but was in the lounge and didn’t hear it, wandered up at nearer the flight closing time to find a slightly panicked looking dispatcher. My fault, I assumed rather than stayed in the loop as to what was actually happening.

What lounge? they always call flights in the lounge.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Only transatlantic flights get called.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

What’s intriguing for me is that the other 180 odd other people due to fly that day successfully managed to board the correct flight.

How do you know that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

1. 90 mins is cutting it fine for an international flight.
    2. Your wife assumed people queuing in front of them were for their flight. That was a hell of an assumption.
    3. "Their bags had obviously been removed when they didn’t turn up at the gate even though they were there." They clearly weren't at the gate or they'd be on the flight. See point 2 above.

I think the lesson to be learned is for your wife to arrive at the airport earlier and be at the boarding gate in plenty of time.

antix80 wrote: »

No it's not. Jesus, the sanctimonious replies here :rolleyes:
    antix80 wrote:
    2. Your wife assumed people queuing in front of them were for their flight. That was a hell of an assumption.

It *should* be a safe assumption. Problem here is morons for the next flight allowed to block the queue for people currently boarding and nothing done about it. With Ryanair flights you can often be standing in the queue for 20 mins after the supposed "gate closing" message so queue not moving is not necessarily a sign that you're in the wrong queue.
    antix80 wrote:
    I think the lesson to be learned is for your wife to arrive at the airport earlier and be at the boarding gate in plenty of time.

They were at the boarding gate in plenty of time so that's not the lesson to be learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

antix80 wrote: »
    3. "Their bags had obviously been removed when they didn’t turn up at the gate even though they were there." They clearly weren't at the gate or they'd be on the flight. See point 2 above.

90 minutes is plenty of time in Dublin. About 30 too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,310 ✭✭✭✭ted1

That’s far from true, very few if any lounges call flights.

Advertisement