Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caroline Flack found dead

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Italix

What she did was horrendous and she certainly deserved to be punished for it.
    Utterly tragic she took her live, rest in peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 ollym1

It’s very sad that a 40 year old has lost their life, however I disagree with people on here (and in their droves on Twitter) blaming the press for “bullying” her. She did something horrific, and it was widely reported. It wasn’t a “minor indiscretion”; she viciously attacked her partner. It’s a huge shame that she couldn’t see any other way out but I disagree that the press should be blamed.

And as much as I hate to say it, I do think if genders were reversed the reaction would be different.

That's rubbish: Ant Mc Partlin was charged with drunk driving after being involved in a collision with a mini with a 4 year old child inside it along with hitting another car as well.
    He went to rehab, won best presenter that year (even though he hadn't presented) and was allowed to do his job again once the circus died down. So don't give me that bull about inequality to men.

Go back over the articles in the Daily Mail for example since before she even had this incident with the lamp and each one goes into her entire history of dating younger guys.
    Theres famous men all over the industry dating women who could be their grand children and they never get grief in the media.

When she did get into trouble the papers went to town on her. Her death is the result of bullying by the media. All the comments sections in the DM are geared towards whatever the papers want you to believe, the comments are filtered.
    Today in the DM every comment is saying nothing but praise about her, before that it was nothing but hate.

razorblunt wrote: »
    She was shockingly bad at that, I think that might have been where her career started to take a dip.
    She was bag of nerves on that, they made the mess up with the verdict one week and she got worse as it went on.

She was shocking really, is this why she hasn't been out of work since hosting it?
    She was very talented, she won Strictly Come Dancing as a non professional dancer and she also worked on the West End in Chicago. She was extremely talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

homingbird wrote: »
    Love Island has no future now thank god for that i cant see how they can continue after this.

She wasn't even part of it anymore. Is every business closed down when a former employee passes away?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Ant McParland was done for drink driving. Went to court, found guilty, put off the roads, apologised for his actions, went to rehab, tried to go clean. All the while he was stood down from any TV work. All played out in the media too. What extra support did he get?
    He didn't batter his partner over the head with a lamp as she slept.

I didnt say he got extra support? I replied to a post that asked if it were a man in Caroline Flack's shoes would he have got the support she did. I said Ant McParland although the crimes were different, seemed to have got a lot of support.

• Site Banned Posts: 221 ✭✭SAM SO NITE

My thoughts

I remember her from when she was giving young Harry Styles a jangle. Fair play to him I thought at the time.

Im male and now 36 years old so she fell off my radar post x-factor fame (I only caught glimpses of that show if mammy or the then missus was watching it).

We live in an age of cutting down tall poppies and we love a witch hunt. I suppose it makes some people feel better about themselves if they see others get their comeuppance. Heck the Germans even have a word for it "schadenfreude".

The allegations against her were serious and if true deserved robust sanction , and I do agree with the contention that if the same was levelled against a man they would not get the same posthumous sympathy.

The media certainly do have a role to play......why are the sun now deleting "nasty" articles about her. Look on twitter to see people calling the tabloids out on it. If the media had nothing to hide they would leave their "reportage" there on their website for all to see.

I do think in spite of what some posters have said , that NOW IS the time to talk about media biases, gender biases and any/all perceived inadequacies or slights that we feel this tragic incident evokes. Because its topical and emotive now....you have to strike while the tragic iron is hot. I see a change.org petition against the tabloids is already in full swing my own opinion withstanding.

Accused rapers such as Paddy Jackson and accused assaulters such as Caroline should be innocent until proven guilty and should have anonymity until found guilty also.

And sure haven't we forgotten about Kobe already because we have already moved on to the next thing.

We need to get out more, hike , walk, play sport, read , engage with people. Michael D said it on Tommy Tiernan the other night " we need to touch each other more". We are empty vessels who worship these vacuous walking dollar signs.

Ricky Gervais character in extras lampooned this whole phenomenon ten+ years ago. Its getting worse . There are a generation of now voting age who have never lived in an era sans social media ,smart phones and reality tv.

At least I am lucky enough to remember what it used to be like.

3 deaths related to a ****ing reality show. Get a grip people.

A tragic event , lessons to be learned both by the 4th estate and to varying extents ourselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Italix wrote: »
    What she did was horrendous and she certainly deserved to be punished for it.
    Utterly tragic she took her live, rest in peace.

She fcuked up. Got in a bit of a barney. Clocked yer man with a lamp. Not good but she was hardly a serial killer.

She would have been punished and then would have been able to move on and resurrect her career and her personal life. There was no need for her to go and do what she did.

Pity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I see the s*n 'newspaper' had attacked her in an article yesterday.

Something to do with her not supporting some mental health campaign they were promoting apparently. What hypocrisy.

Those odious b@stards have an awful lot to answer for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Ant McParland was done for drink driving. Went to court, found guilty, put off the roads, apologised for his actions, went to rehab, tried to go clean. All the while he was stood down from any TV work. All played out in the media too. What extra support did he get?
    He didn't batter his partner over the head with a lamp as she slept.

He was a hair from killing multiple people, he crashed into two cars drink driving and it would be head on if the other driver didn't react in time.
    He deserved the book thrown at him and so did Flack, up to and including jail time. Not to be mocked, followed or bullied though. I don't remember his tabloid headlines, were they as toxic as Flack's?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I watched the Michael Barrymore documentary during the week and the most shocking aspect was the media pitch.

When they wanted Barrymore to be hated, they turned that switch and when they wanted sympathy for him, they turned that switch.

Their behaviour during that case was despicable.

Nowhere, were they interested in the truth.

It's the same here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

A tragic event , lessons to be learned both by the 4th estate and to varying extents ourselves.

a nice thought, but it's not going to happen. the world will keep turning as it is, everything changes but everything remains the same

My thoughts

I remember her from when she was giving young Harry Styles a jangle. Fair play to him I thought at the time.

Im male and now 36 years old so she fell off my radar post x-factor fame (I only caught glimpses of that show if mammy or the then missus was watching it).

We live in an age of cutting down tall poppies and we love a witch hunt. I suppose it makes some people feel better about themselves if they see others get their comeuppance. Heck the Germans even have a word for it "schadenfreude".

The allegations against her were serious and if true deserved robust sanction , and I do agree with the contention that if the same was levelled against a man they would not get the same posthumous sympathy.

The media certainly do have a role to play......why are the sun now deleting "nasty" articles about her. Look on twitter to see people calling the tabloids out on it. If the media had nothing to hide they would leave their "reportage" there on their website for all to see.

I do think in spite of what some posters have said , that NOW IS the time to talk about media biases, gender biases and any/all perceived inadequacies or slights that we feel this tragic incident evokes. Because its topical and emotive now....you have to strike while the tragic iron is hot. I see a change.org petition against the tabloids is already in full swing my own opinion withstanding.

Accused rapers such as Paddy Jackson and accused assaulters such as Caroline should be innocent until proven guilty and should have anonymity until found guilty also.

And sure haven't we forgotten about Kobe already because we have already moved on to the next thing.

We need to get out more, hike , walk, play sport, read , engage with people. Michael D said it on Tommy Tiernan the other night " we need to touch each other more". We are empty vessels who worship these vacuous walking dollar signs.

Ricky Gervais character in extras lampooned this whole phenomenon ten+ years ago. Its getting worse . There are a generation of now voting age who have never lived in an era sans social media ,smart phones and reality tv.

At least I am lucky enough to remember what it used to be like.

3 deaths related to a ****ing reality show. Get a grip people.

I disagree with you about the inequality to men as I posted above about Ant Mc Partlin getting off scot free in his job for something just as serious.

Agreed about the media though, it needs some regulations put down and a complete overhaul in its opinion of women. The way they have bullied Megan Markle out of the country is disgraceful, blaming her for the actions of her 35 year old husband and anything else that's gone wrong for the royals in the past few years.
    I don't actually know how she hasn't had a breakdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

I don't intend to be disrespectful to someone who has just passed but Ive never watched Love island and I've never heard of this woman. I'm sure its awful for her family but does it need to be on the front of every news site I look at... Many people die each day but what makes this one so unique

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I didnt say he got extra support? I replied to a post that asked if it were a man in Caroline Flack's shoes would he have got the support she did. I said Ant McParland although the crimes were different, seemed to have got a lot of support.

Fair enough, "a lot" / extra ...my point still stands though even though you cannot compare th two crimes.
    McParland was hounded in the press as well. Photos of him 'looking haggard' in rehab...leaving the wife ....alcoholic...drunk driver...press camped outside his house Etc etc He got slaughtered by the red tops. The only difference is he was able to take it and come out the other side. Unfortunately Caroline wasn't.
    As I said, he had his day in court, was contrite then tried to fix the problem.
    Caroline Flack smashed a lamp over her boyfriend's head as he slept and in death is now made out to be an angel....be kind to each other quotes and sh*te. Its total revisionism. Her press people calling her trial a "show trial" etc etc.

Very tragic that she took her own life but I can't stand the double standards that go on.

I don't intend to be disrespectful to someone who has just passed but Ive never watched Love island and I've never heard of this woman. I'm sure its awful for her family but does it need to be on the front of every news site I look at... Many people die each day but what makes this one so unique

The shows were garbage but they commanded huge numbers. To you or I she wasn't on the radar but neither is the music that's popular in the charts today.

By all accounts love island is ****ing massive............unfortunately.

Many people die each day but what makes this one so unique

she was a prominent TV presenter in the uk for the last 15 years maybe,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

All the hypocrites will be out in force in the next few days, it is a very sad event, but people with mental problems are better off away from limelight or publicity. This girl probably had a million Facebook friends, and no real ones. RIP. On another note, why is it on the front page of the RTE website? Is this England?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

40 is no age.

RIP.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Seeing celebrities tweeting about how terrible it is and that they sent her messages when the stuff broke saying everything seems bad but it'll be ok and whatnot.

How many of them would have contacted the boyfriend saying the same if it was him getting done for beating her?
    Fair enough, "a lot" / extra ...my point still stands though even though you cannot compare th two crimes.
    McParland was hounded in the press as well. Photos of him 'looking haggard' in rehab...leaving the wife ....alcoholic...drunk driver...press camped outside his house Etc etc He got slaughtered by the red tops. The only difference is he was able to take it and come out the other side. Unfortunately Caroline wasn't.
    Caroline Flack smashed a lamp over her boyfriend's head as he slept and in death is now made out to be an angel....be kind to each other quotes and sh*te. Its total revisionism. Her press people calling her trial a "show trial" etc etc.

Very tragic that she took her own life but I can't stand the double standards that go on.

The post above is the one i was replying to. It was not about the media. It was about celebrities tweeting messages of support.

I think most people with a passing interest in the news (and not only the entertainment news) have heard of her. Come out from under your rock sometime. The world is an exciting and interesting place.

ollym1 wrote: »
    I disagree with you about the inequality to men as I posted above about Ant Mc Partlin getting off scot free in his job for something just as serious.

Agreed about the media though, it needs some regulations put down and a complete overhaul in its opinion of women. The way they have bullied Megan Markle out of the country is disgraceful, blaming her for the actions of her 35 year old husband and anything else that's gone wrong for the royals in the past few years.
    I don't actually know how she hasn't had a breakdown.

I don't know chief, a bloke hitting a sleeping woman with a lamp is a hard sell.

Ant got behind the wheel with one too many daddy sodas in his system (something that a sizeable minority of joe public have done themselves).

With Ant i think its " you ****ing eejit"

With assaulting a sleeping woman i think its " you cowardly ****ing scumbag"

• Advertisement

The post above is the one i was replying to. It was not about the media. It was about celebrities tweeting messages of support.

No bother. My reply was just general observation on the double standard world we find ourselves in. No doubt the feedin frenzy that is the daily mail, the sun, Twitter etc will move onto the next target tomorrow morning. Peace out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Someone back there actually scoffed at the idea that hitting a sleeping person on the head with a large object was anyway close to attempted murder. If she had been stronger or had a heavier lamp she would have killed him, unprovoked, while he slept. The double standard is disgusting, but as they say, if some people didn’t have double standards, they wouldn’t have any standards at all.

Then you have the same people who say women find it hard to break out of a manipulative relationship and excuse violent behaviour claiming his unwillingness to prosecute gave her a free pass. Mad stuff but nowt as odd as folk.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    I think most people with a passing interest in the news (and not only the entertainment news) have heard of her. Come out from under your rock sometime. The world is an exciting and interesting place.

No my rock is just fine! fair enough put the news in the entertainment or reality tv section and people who are interested will see it but not the main news headlines everywhere or into my feeds

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bill 2.0

On another note, why is it on the front page of the RTE website? Is this England?

Our culture is just a mix of English and American stuff nowadays.

Anyway, this woman doesn't seem to have been a saint but **** social media and the red tops and the people that consume their ****e.

The same people who wring their hands about bullying have no problem ****ting all over/harrassing a celebrity even though this can often be the end result.

The public really are just pieces of ****. Just mind your own business! Leave people alone!

All the hypocrites will be out in force in the next few days, it is a very sad event, but people with mental problems are better off away from limelight or publicity. This girl probably had a million Facebook friends, and no real ones. RIP. On another note, why is it on the front page of the RTE website? Is this England?

The entertainment industry probably draws the highest amount of people with mental health problems out of all the industries you could work in.

I'm not surprised its front page on RTE, don't they copy every British show going?
    Absolutely nothing original about the station or its content.

No my rock is just fine! fair enough put the news in the entertainment or reality tv section and people who are interested will see it but not the main news headlines everywhere or into my feeds

If you don't know much about her career, her incident with the lamp was front page news for the guts of a week at least. It was headline news at the time.

If you don't know much about her career, her incident with the lamp was front page news for the guts of a week at least. It was headline news at the time.

I probably vaguely remember seeing that, once I see the words love island in an article my brain goes into sleep mode

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

I had never heard of her. I’d have an interest in most current affairs, sport, entertainment but never heard of her. My wife told me about it and the story behind it. It’s no reflection on anyone’s intelligence or living ‘under a rock’. Awful story now that I’ve been informed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,658 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

RIP.

Stay classy After Hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 fiona_b

Rest in peace. fl4gg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Caroline Flack smashed a lamp over her boyfriend's head as he slept
    and in death is now made out to be an angel....be kind to each other quotes and sh*te. Its total revisionism. Her press people calling her trial a "show trial" etc etc.

Ant had his day in court, Caroline did not. Stating allegations as fact does not fortify anyone's position where it comes to cries of hypocrisy.

Innocent until proven guilty REGARDLESS of gender.

I don't know chief, a bloke hitting a sleeping woman with a lamp is a hard sell.

Ant got behind the wheel with one too many daddy sodas in his system (something that a sizeable minority of joe public have done themselves).

With Ant i think its " you ****ing eejit"

With assaulting a sleeping woman i think its " you cowardly ****ing scumbag"

For me hitting a car with a child in it is far more serious.

Shes a 5 foot woman, hitting a 6 foot man with a lamp while he was asleep. Im not sure how hard she hit him since he phoned the police and was photographed two days later walking around getting papped and not a bandage on his head or visible bruising.

The actual blood and hospital attention was to Caroline herself who got cut badly during the incident.

Im not attempting to exonerate Caroline but lets just put things in perspective here. It seems to me if a man hit a sleeping woman with a lamp (probably wouldn't have to wait until sleeping since a big bloke would have nothing to fear) Im fairly sure she wouldn't have been in a position to call the cops or walk anywhere the next few days.

Just for the record any kind of violence is bad, male or female but you're the one reversing the roles so lets look at all aspects of such an incident to get a clear picture.

I probably vaguely remember seeing that, once I see the words love island in an article my brain goes into sleep mode

Same here to be honest. The more you look at Love Island, the more your IQ drops.

That said, there's very few people who don't know who Caroline Flack is. Her incident with the lamp brought her to the attention of those who don't watch Love Island.

Shes a 5 foot woman, hitting a 6 foot man with a lamp while he was asleep.

Allegedly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Can’t say I’d ever heard of her either. But very sad. From reading up on her sounds like her was hounded by the media. It must be awful. RIP.

I have to say that I am struggling to believe that people haven't heard of her.

Fair enough, I'd be surprised if most people followed her career but the incident with the lamp was headline news for weeks.

Allegedly.

Exactly, you're right

Ant had his day in court, Caroline did not. Stating allegations as fact does not fortify anyone's position where it comes to cries of hypocrisy.

Innocent until proven guilty REGARDLESS of gender.

She was being charged with assault. The court heard details how he told police she had attacked him with a lamp as he slept.
    They are facts.

And I agree with you about innocent until guilty regardless of gender...but it's a pity it isn't applied to all high profile public cases where it's a male being charged with an offence. That's the double standards I'm on about.

Anyway, I'm outta here. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

bubblypop wrote:
    You have no idea what caused this & are blaming the media regardless.

That is very true. I'm guilty of attributing blame based on opinion and not fact.

I stand by what I said about despising the media who shamed her who will doubtlessly glorify her after her death but you are completely correct and I retract what I said regarding blame.

That was done in the spur of the moment and through emotion and not fact.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Shes a 5 foot woman, hitting a 6 foot man with a lamp while he was asleep. Im not sure how hard she hit him since he phoned the police and was photographed two days later walking around getting papped and not a bandage on his head or visible bruising.

The actual blood and hospital attention was to Caroline herself who got cut badly during the incident.

Im not attempting to exonerate Caroline but lets just put things in perspective here. It seems to me if a man hit a sleeping woman with a lamp (probably wouldn't have to wait until sleeping since a big bloke would have nothing to fear) Im fairly sure she wouldn't have been in a position to call the cops or walk anywhere the next few days.

Just for the record any kind of violence is bad, male or female but you're the one reversing the roles so lets look at all aspects of such an incident to get a clear picture.

I really don’t get your agenda here the two cases are incomparable.

i don't look at the outcome just the intention .

She intended to hit him with the lamp allegedly. Luckily he didn't sustain serious injuries.

Im sure Ant didn't plan to mill into another car with a child on board. He was a foolish, careless problem drinker with marital problems who drove intoxicated. A selfish prick of an act by all accounts. But it was an accident ( albeit with contributory negligence) .

Hers was an intentional malicious act allegedly.

She was being charged with assault. The court heard details how he told police she had attacked him with a lamp as he slept.
    They are facts.

And I agree with you about innocent until guilty regardless of gender...but it's a pity it isn't applied to all high profile public cases where it's a male being charged with an offence. That's the double standards I'm on about.

Caroline was named and shamed, same as Paddy Jackson. There were plenty on here who were protesting his innocence before and during his trial, so should Caroline not be afforded the same right? Being charged with a crime does not automatically make you guilty of it, yet she has already been found guilty throughout this thread.

That, my friend, is a double standard, only this time, the accused will never get their day in court to defend themselves.

i don't look at the outcome just the intention ...
    But it was an accident ( albeit with contributory negligence) .

Hers was an intentional malicious act.

i presume she wasn't fully sober when the incident happened either, it was hardly pre meditated

She intended to hit him with the lamp. Luckily he didn't sustain serious injuries.

Im sure Ant didn't plan to mill into another car with a child on board. He was a foolish, careless problem drinker with marital problems who drove intoxicated. A selfish prick of an act by all accounts. But it was an accident ( albeit with contributory negligence) .

It hasn't even been proven that she hit the guy with the lamp yet you know that it was an intentional malicious act?

He intentionally got behind a wheel of a car drunk, it was proven he did. He was lucky he didn't kill anyone!!
    Im not sure if Caroline was drinking (im guessing she was) I could equally say she was foolish for being drunk and acting like an emotional wreck of a cow after finding texts on his phone, messaging another woman etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

How depressing that her entire life is reduced to this one incident with a former partner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭darlett

What does it matter if she was a hobbit and he a giant? Hitting someone laying in their sleep is as cowardly a method of giving someone a brain injury as you ll get. Bizarre to dwell on their feet in height were they standing. A sleeper is fully vulnerable. It doesnt need more perspective than that.

They are facts.

Actually, they aren't facts. They are allegations. He told the police that she attacked him with a lamp. It was never confirmed that that was a fact. It was an allegation. There's a difference.

That said, I don't doubt that she attacked him with a lamp but they aren't facts until there is a judgement handed down by the court. At this stage they are only allegations. And unfortunately that's what they'll stay now that Ms. Flack has taken matters into her own hands.

She intended to hit him with the lamp. Luckily he didn't sustain serious injuries.

How do you know this? There hasn't even been a trial. The injured party retracted his story and refused to press charges.

Is Caroline not presumed innocent until proven otherwise?

i presume she wasn't fully sober when the incident happened either, it was hardly pre meditated

also true.

But my point stands. I reckon Ant was just trying to go somewhere or get home ( while not hitting anyone with his car). "Sure it will be grand like"

She picked up a lamp and hit a bloke with it (allegedly).

I see nuanced difference to both cases. maybe its just me.

darlett wrote: »
    What does it matter if she was a hobbit and he a giant? Hitting someone laying in their sleep is as cowardly a method of giving someone a brain injury as you ll get. Bizarre to dwell on their feet in height were they standing. A sleeper is fully vulnerable. It doesnt need more perspective than that.

Did she give him a brain injury...this is gas reading all this hypothetical rubbish against clear facts.

• Advertisement
Advertisement