Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caroline Flack found dead

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

This is going to be traumatic for the boyfriend. Even though I believe she assaulted him, he's not going to see it that way. He tried to retract the charges and will be torturing himself now over his decision to pick up the phone. And naturally, the media spotlight will be trained back on him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

tastyt wrote: »
    Of course the media arent totally to blame , they obviously didnt physically kill her.

But the UK tabloids are the worst type of parasites. A totally different league. They will hound people and week after week, month after month try to drag them down and if possible get a photo of them at their most vulnerable. They have no limits and they think they can just abuse and push people until they crack, unfortunately this is the ultimate price.

Yes, she did a horrible thing , and yes it was rightly reported in the media. It was going through the proper channels and she was due in court.

But thats not good enough for the scum, they needed more entertainment from her obvious personal issues and now they've got their Sunday morning headlines.

Anyone defending the gutter tabloids on this one has some warped morals of whats okay

The press don't exist in a vacuum though and there are a massive amount of people that consume tabloids and gossip rags. There's a market for it and that reflects more on society than on the people operating in that market.

I know little about this situation but I'd guess social media was fairly merciless towards her as well and if tabloids are cess pits, social media is a few steps down from that because lots of people think they can throw whatever abuse they want. I'd venture a guess that a lot of people jumping on Flack for the assault are the same people lamenting her death and having a go at tabloids.

Desperately sad to see a 40 year old die. If the allegations are true, it says a lot about her as a person but to die at such a young age is sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭nervous_twitch

banie01 wrote: »
    I was going to post similar tbh.

If a Male was violently abusive to their sleeping partner and then killed themselves before trial, one can make a fairly good guess at them being labelled a coward, narcissistic or not wanting their carefully constructed world shown up...

This isn't a thread to be laying blame and tbh many people reading this thread and the outpouring of grief on social media are likely in a dark place.

Seeing someone lionised after death, when they indeed all of us are far from perfect is a dangerous thing.

Far too many troubled people take their life and don't seek help.

If anyone, anyone at all feels troubled by the demon of suicide or depression.

Reach out, the Samaritans are great, as are Pieta House.
    Criticism and anger happens, don't let that take away your own agency...
    Seek help.

R.I.P Caroline, and to those affected by her loss don't glamourise it please.

No-one is lionising it, though. The gravity of her mistakes and an unrelenting media couldn't be turned off. Domestic abuse is horrific, male or female, but this isn't the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Secondly why is everyone so determined to ignore the fact that she viciously assaulted her boyfriend? If this was man we were talking about everyone would be saying good riddance.

You can’t have one reaction for one and a different one for the other.

I suspect the gender war proponents on here would be inclined to assume the innocence of a male celebrity until proven guilty in a court of law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

SeaFields wrote:
    It's a cliché in these circumstances but she took a permanent solution to a temporary problem. Unfortunately lots of people do the same and if only they could see there is way out if everything and things get better.

I'm actually only two days out of hospital for self harm and suicidal thoughts. Obviously, the extent wasn't as bad as this situation but, man, this horrible event really hit home.

It will be sickening to see the media who caused this, in the coming days, sing her praises.

(I have no issue with the media reporting her indiscretions as she was a celebrity, but the trash media like the the daily mail, TMZ etc etc took it too far)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

No-one is lionising it, though. The gravity of her mistakes and an unrelenting media couldn't be turned off. Domestic abuse is horrific, male or female, but this isn't the solution.

Unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view, many on my own social media feeds are.

And nowhere in my post did I suggest that this was a solution to domestic violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Yet again pity someone couldn't help her through what was obviously a difficult period in her life. God love her and her family, so sad. Beautiful and successful girl in a tough industry.

Problems are temporary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

tomorrow-s-front-page-caroline-flack-s-blood-splattered-boyfriend-told-cops-she-tried-to-kill-me-1209250405277941766.webp

getimage.aspx?regionKey=RsSO86R%2BMXpBsSWzUBhyTw%3D%3D

F4J-DOMESTIC-ABUSE-AD.jpg

Media did nothing wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭Tork

Naturally, there are already people spewing hatred towards Lewis Burton. It's all his fault, apparently.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

Ironicname wrote: »
    I'm actually only two days out of hospital for self harm and suicidal thoughts. Obviously, the extent wasn't as bad as this situation but, man, this horrible event really hit home.

It will be sickening to see the media who caused this, in the coming days, sing her praises.

(I have no issue with the media reporting her indiscretions as she was a celebrity, but the trash media like the the daily mail, TMZ etc etc took it too far)

I know how you feel and a part of me is envious of her as she now has peace, something I crave, but it’s her family I really feel for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I suspect the gender war proponents on here would be inclined to assume the innocence of a male celebrity until proven guilty in a court of law.

I’m more inclined to believe they wouldn’t. But I think you know that really.

There’s always gender bias in situations like this whether you want admit it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Tork wrote: »
    This is going to be traumatic for the boyfriend. Even though I believe she assaulted him, he's not going to see it that way. He tried to retract the charges and will be torturing himself now over his decision to pick up the phone. And naturally, the media spotlight will be trained back on him again.

I really hope he has plenty of support around him. Just a horrible situation all round.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Blaze420 wrote: »
    No different to the comments here if it was a fella at the centre of a domestic abuse situation. So **** off :)

Ok I’ll change that to make a little effort to be even a tinchy winchy bit classy

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yet again pity someone couldn't help her through what was obviously a difficult period in her life. God love her and her family, so sad. Beautiful and successful girl in a tough industry.

Problems are temporary.

Desperately sad news :(

This whole trial by social media thing is becoming a menace...I suspect Caroline will not be the last person to die because of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Like many similar celebs (love island etc) they crave for instant dophamine-filled attention on Tw/Fb/Insta,
    then want to escape it all when it gets too much, or discover the hard way, they're simply not suited to fame.

She reminded me of the other socialite that went (Tara Claire Palmer-Tomkinson),
    who coincidentally was also an ex-partner/play-thing of the young royal(s).

Perhaps the single best smart advice for anyone with <14yo is not to buy them a 'smart'phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

What's the point of the thread then?

It is after hours and why should we all be bound by your moral compass?

There needs to be an RIP section for stuff like this imo.
    so you need a moral compass not to make insentsitive about a person who has just killed themselves, think of her family ffs.
    RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

"Everyone" is not determined to ignore that she attacked her boyfriend.
    Blaze420 wrote: »
    No different to the comments here if it was a fella at the centre of a domestic abuse situation. So **** off :)
    Whatever about elsewhere, I doubt there would be such comments here.

I don't agree with ignoring her behaviour, and I do agree that there would be a different reaction in places over a man... but jeering at her suicide considering her loved ones left behind, well it's unsurprising who's doing same and thanking them. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Tork wrote: »
    Naturally, there are already people spewing hatred towards Lewis Burton. It's all his fault, apparently.

She should have gotten help after the episodes of her ex fiance. Sadly it's an awful situation but one totally of her own making. RIP Caroline.

Ironicname wrote: »

You have no idea what caused this & are blaming the media regardless.

Hope you take care of yourself I wish you all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 23,681 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Of course you can. The reverse the genders and whataboutery nonsense is just that. Time and a place rather than trying to be an edgelord.

I wasn’t a fan but at the same time news of her death took me by surprise.

• Advertisement

Raconteuse wrote: »
    "Everyone" is not determined to ignore that she attacked her boyfriend.

Whatever about elsewhere, I doubt there would be such comments here.

I don't agree with ignoring her behaviour, and I do agree that there would be a different reaction in places over a man... but jeering at her suicide considering her loved ones left behind, well it's unsurprising who's doing same and thanking them. :rolleyes:

I don’t think one single person on here has ‘jeered’ at anything.

We’re just saying that blaming the media, ignoring the horrible act she committed and pretending she was an angel won’t help the situation.

I do have sympathy for her family and friends, I just don’t think any good will come of acting like she was all goodness and light and as if she bore no responsibility for the hard time the media gave her.

Problems are temporary.
    What about her own behaviour though? Disagree with pretending she was an angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Strazdas wrote: »
    Desperately sad news :(

This whole trial by social media thing is becoming a menace...I suspect Caroline will not be the last person to die because of it.

Makes you realise that Harry Susessx and his wife did the correct thing getting away from them.

I don’t think one single person on here has ‘jeered’ at anything.
    They absolutely have.

Of course you can. The reverse the genders and whataboutery nonsense is just that. Time and a place rather than trying to be an edgelord.

I wasn’t a fan but at the same time news of her death took me by surprise.

You really can’t. I’m not trying to be an edge lord or whatever cool and edgy word you want to try to use.

She viciously attacked her husband while he slept. You can’t excuse that if he had attacked her you wouldn’t even consider trying to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

Cina wrote: »
    Man why don't you cop the f*ck on? Someone just committed suicide and you're almost trying to justify it as a good thing and bring anti feminist nonsense into it. It's pathetic.

Call me old fashioned but I don't have much time for people who assault others.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,726 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

She was an easy target to mock considering her recent troubles, but she was human and it all was taking it's toll, of course it never stopped everyone mocking her endlessly.
    People only ''care'' now that she's dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

By all accounts she did horrible and outrageous things to her bf (upon reading up about it) but she didn't deserve an end like that. I'd feel so sorry for her family and friends. A loss is a loss.

It would in my personal opinion to put some of the blame for this death on the media. Build people up to sell papers, then tear them down to sell even more.

Also, some of the squabbling and posts here are unbelievably childish.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

Raconteuse wrote: »
    They absolutely have.

Links?

I’ve read back through the thread and I genuinely can’t see it.

And I myself certainly haven’t done any such thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

RasTa wrote: »
    Media did nothing wrong...

Wouldn't know what to believe :confused:

I see a lot of people stating this as fact but why did he deny it?
    osNv2vs.jpg?1

Advertisement