Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Caroline Flack found dead

Comments

David Walliams will be off to America now I'd say.

That was my first thought too for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Darc19 wrote: »
    The British tabloid media are scum.

Brexit is down to them also. But some readers are Neanderthals anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

Its so sad. She was such a great presenter and always looked so happy and bubbly.

I dont think anyone can be certain about what happened, can we? Story his she hit him with a lamp while he slept. Didnt he come out in support of her afterwards?

Im getting so tired of 'if the [gender] roles were reversed you wouldn't say that'. Can we not just have thoughts on a topic as it is? Genders, circumstances, incidents all add dimensions to a given story.

Its very sad to think its all ended like this.

She was an abusive partner. She has a history of being the aggressor of domestic abuse. Lewis had phoned in a complaint after being attacked. The police came and found evidence to back his claim. He took back his account but obviously the police decided to go ahead with the case which would suggest it was a serious issue. The rags went to town on her, and she ended her life before it went to trial. It looks a fairly straight forward story. If not a terribly tragic one. She should have gotten help after the earlier relationship which went wrong. Alas she didnt and history repeated itself. If she wasnt a celebrity it probabaly would have been easier to have gotten help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

i dont get the "media scum" stuff. she earned her living through tacky tabloid culture - she was of that world. feel sorry for the boyfriend alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

RasTa wrote: »
    It's grand, she's dead now anyway.

The correct outcome for all

What a vile inhumane comment. There really is a nasty characters online. Just had a scroll through twitter and probably the same people who hounded her to death are now mourning her.

As for the British tabloid editors and journalists tweeting......... it beggers belief they are not seeing the possible connection from their past reporting and opening themselves up to criticism.

It's an odd world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,766 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Even after the big story at the start of the year
    Poor girl RIP
    David Walliams will be off to America now I'd say.

whats this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

i dont get the "media scum" stuff. she earned her living through tacky tabloid culture - she was of that world. feel sorry for the boyfriend alright.

You don't need to pick as side. It's not a football match.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭garyskeepers

RasTa wrote: »
    It's grand, she's dead now anyway.

The correct outcome for all

Are we allowed call someone a P*ick these days on boards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Definitely not worth the posturing that’s went on in this thread anyway. After reading up a bit on her, you’d wonder how many tributes or how much of a mod strength there would be for her boyfriend if she’d killed him.

Just a shocking observation about domestic abuse against men there is no 24/7 helpline for them.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

That was my first thought too for some reason

Mine too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

It's sad. I hope there aren't copycat suicides by folk struggling with problems. Her family and boyfriend should be left alone

OwlsZat wrote: »
    She was an abusive partner. She has a history of being the aggressor of domestic abuse. Lewis had phoned in a complaint after being attacked. The police came and found evidence to back his claim. He took back his account but obviously the police decided to go ahead with the case which would suggest it was a serious issue. The rags went to town on her, and she ended her life before it went to trial. It looks a fairly straight forward story. If not a terribly tragic one. She should have gotten help after the earlier relationship which went wrong. Alas she didnt and history repeated itself. If she wasnt a celebrity it probabaly would have been easier to have gotten help.

Where did you get all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

You don't need to pick as side. It's not a football match.
    ok thanks

Where did you get all that?

just google her name and abuse and previous partner story comes up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Seeing celebrities tweeting about how terrible it is and that they sent her messages when the stuff broke saying everything seems bad but it'll be ok and whatnot.

How many of them would have contacted the boyfriend saying the same if it was him getting done for beating her?

spookwoman wrote: »
    just google her name and abuse and previous partner story comes up.

Its all from the Daily Mail, the Mirror and The Sun.

Seeing celebrities tweeting about how terrible it is and that they sent her messages when the stuff broke saying everything seems bad but it'll be ok and whatnot.

How many of them would have contacted the boyfriend saying the same if it was him getting done for beating her?

Ant McPartland - although a different crime- seems to have got a lot of support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

It's true that if we were talking about a male abuser, the reaction would be very different. Attitudes towards female-on-male domestic violence have always been... flippant, to say the least. I had a fairly noticeable facial injury recently, as a result of a fall, and I was shocked at the amount of people (all men) who jokingly asked me if it was "the wife" who did it.

But isn't it also true that there are some people out there (and perhaps even On Here) who, if her boyfriend had been accused of viciously assaulting her as she slept, would be using the "innocent until proven guilty" line of defence?

Ah, no, that happens to women too. I had a black eye years ago and had numerous strangers jokingly ask me in the street and on nights out if my boyfriend did it to me. It was pretty relentless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They can make you as a celeb but they can also destroy you.

The UK tabloids are quite unique.....no other country in Europe has a press like them and one that is so celeb obsessed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

Love Island has no future now thank god for that i cant see how they can continue after this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

homingbird wrote: »
    Love Island has no future now thank god for that i cant see how they can continue after this.

Of course it can, she isn’t even part of the current one and it’s going fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Of course it can, she isn’t even part of the current one and it’s going fine

You think her colleagues, friends etc... Basically the whole production team will want to carry on? It would not surprise me if the plug is pulled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

But isn't it also true that there are some people out there (and perhaps even On Here) who, if her boyfriend had been accused of viciously assaulting her as she slept, would be using the "innocent until proven guilty" line of defence?
    This was the point I made earlier in the thread. There had been no trial. No verdict, yet people are screaming about what an evil abuser she is. Attempted murder was even thrown out!

Now she may well have been guilty, or there could have been a pair of them in it on the night, we'll now never know for sure, but if you're a proponent of innocent until proven guilty, surely that works with both genders? You can't complain about a skewed presumption of guilt placed on men and then turn around and make the same presumption about a woman. It completely destroys your argument.

This is very true. People have rightfully argued for ‘innocent until proven guilty’ for men being accused of assault or rape. The same principle should hold here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Darc19 wrote: »
    Do you really think a cop would be fired.

It doesn't happen in the UK

And no matter how incompetent they are or how many lies they tell, I assure you that it doesn't happen here either.

Cops/gardai add 1+1 and get 22

It's still disgusting though.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    As for the British tabloid editors and journalists tweeting......... it beggers belief they are not seeing the possible connection from their past reporting and opening themselves up to criticism.

Of course they see it they just don't care because £££££

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,891 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Tragically sad may she now be at peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,206 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Icaras wrote: »
    Of course they see it they just don't care because £££££

I don’t watch the show myself and the last time I was familiar with Caroline Flack was when she was on X Factor and in the media for knocking boots with Harry Styles, but it seems that people who want the show cancelled because they don’t like it, are eager to use suicide as a reason the show should be cancelled.

Can they not argue the show should simply be pulled because it’s ****e?

You think her colleagues, friends etc... Basically the whole production team will want to carry on? It would not surprise me if the plug is pulled.

Well her colleagues, production team etc are getting on fine this series & she isn't there.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I don’t watch the show myself and the last time I was familiar with Caroline Flack was when she was on X Factor and in the media for knocking boots with Harry Styles, but it seems that people who want the show cancelled because they don’t like it, are eager to use suicide as a reason the show should be cancelled.

Can they not argue the show should simply be pulled because it’s ****e?

I read a link stating this is the third suicide connected with the show...don't know how true it is.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Was there not other deaths by suicide linked to this programme, former contestants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

I read a link stating this is the third suicide connected with the show...don't know how true it is.

Two previous contestants have died by suicide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I personally never watched it, I only know it's a dating show of some sort, is it particularly degrading, toxic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,434 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I personally never watched it, I only know it's a dating show of some sort, is it particularly degrading, toxic?

From what I know they take some emotionally fragile women who are trying to looking like the ''model'' on the front of Cosmopolitan Magazine and put them with a group of men who are absolute players, then they stand back and watch the obvious drama take place, and then the show stirs the pot to make it even worse at every opportunity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

She also led a very similar lifestyle to the 45yo Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, string of celeb boyfriends (and royal connections).
    Both had nervous/wired energy and even voilent outbursts. Perhaps, also some white powder habits.

The big question would be if they both choose to step out of the limelight, and become
    e.g. anonymous self-sufficent rural smallholders, raising a family, with not a smartphone in sight,
    would they both be:

i) Satisfied, or more satisfied?
    ii) Alive, and well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,772 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Rest in Peace Caroline.

She had an extremely busy television and radio career and had to always put the best foot forward for the public.
    Privately she seems to have had a very strange life. Her relationship with Harry Styles with him 17 and she 31 being one.
    And now this with her last boyfriend and her 40 and he 27. She had preferences.

Poor woman. Your health is your wealth.
    And being alone is not the worst thing to happen anyone. It's actually a blessing for most.
    May you find peace and contentment at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

She also led a very similar lifestyle to the 45yo Tara Palmer-Tomkinson, string of celeb boyfriends (and royal connections).
    Both had nervous/wired energy and even voilent outbursts. Perhaps, also some white powder habits.

The big question would be if they both choose to step out of the limelight, and become
    e.g. anonymous self-sufficent rural smallholders, raising a family, with not a smartphone in sight,
    would they both be:

i) Satisfied, or more satisfied?
    ii) Alive, and well?

It’s always tragic that a person (no matter their questionable character) should take their own life.

Would it be too much to hope that such events be a catalyst for people to reject the current proclivity for the vacuous, vapid, inane sh1te they are drawn too and lose the propensity to witch-hunt online anything that they think gives them some sort of online leverage on folk?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It’s always tragic that a person (no matter their questionable character) should take their own life.

Would it be too much to hope that such events be a catalyst for people to reject the current proclivity for the vacuous, vapid, inane sh1te they are drawn to and lose the propensity to witch-hunt online anything that they think gives them some sort of online leverage on folk?

They seem to get stuck on Maslow's 3rd step, (need for social approval) without making the next two steps. Possibly there is some parental or family responsibility here if they're locked in some insecure cycle.

Saying that it can be very difficult for immature teenagers with peer-pressure and the process of self-discovery. Even then you can meet teenagers with a maturity beyond many adults.

But any worldly 40/45yr - they should really be well on the way to self-actualisation, questioning the meaning of life: with millions in the bank, and endless possibilities these two examples had the opportunity to do absoloutley anything, anywhere, at anytime yet choose this, impossible to comprehend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Very sad outcome I hope she rests in peace. And with any luck, this current toxic and extremely damaging trend of having to be loved and validated by innumerable strangers on the internet will start to move aside in favour of more authentic, face to face friendships or even conversations with other human beings. Putting your life out there on social media always shows the darker side of human nature, and is absolutely no good for mental health. Now the likes of narcissists like Vogue Williams and the Kardashians love this kind of life, its in their blood, so any attention, positive or negative, gives them a reason to live.

Poor Caroline probably didn't prepare for any negative side to her fame. Who on earth knows another persons heart. Sad news, condolences for the family. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I think the lady herself said it best: "in a world where you can be anything, be kind"

RIP Caroline

• Advertisement

Its all from the Daily Mail, the Mirror and The Sun.
    Doesn't mean its not true. I didn't hear of her taking a defamation or whatever it is case against the ex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I'm not fully up to speed with the background here, but my understanding is that her recent press scrutiny was due to an incident at her home relating to an assault on her partner.
    What does this have to do with the TV programme she presented and why should the programme be cancelled. I've not watched the programme (not my genre) but what is the link - apart from two previous contestants also committing suicide.
    How does this programme actually provide a causation for the suicides?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I believe the media has a role to play here. They play God with the way they pitch things.

I really hope someone is looking after Lewis and keeping him safe too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

R.I.P Caroline Flack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Del Griffith

Love Island is supposed to be on vm1 now but it's not, was it pulled?

Update: I googled yea it's cancelled tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭jackboy

How does this programme actually provide a causation for the suicides?

Above all shows it emphasizes how people’s worth depends on appearances only. Any physical or mental flaw means that you are a worthless human being. It’s too high a bar for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Ant McPartland - although a different crime- seems to have got a lot of support.

Ant McParland was done for drink driving. Went to court, found guilty, put off the roads, apologised for his actions, went to rehab, tried to go clean. All the while he was stood down from any TV work. All played out in the media too. What extra support did he get?
    He didn't batter his partner over the head with a lamp as she slept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

whats this?

Apparantly, David Walliams made a joke at her expense whilst hosting the recent National Television Awards which the attending crowd didn't take too kindly to.

Being physically abusive to a partner is not a flaw.

I doubt many here would not be so sympathetic if it was a family member that was getting the cr*p beaten out of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,345 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Flacks management criticising her trial for show

http://news.sky.com/story/caroline-flacks-management-criticise-show-trial-of-vulnerable-star-11935319

By all accounts she was a bit of a bunny boiler in private. It's not often a guy rings the police about the police because he is being attacked by his partner.

• Advertisement
Advertisement