Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intrepid travel?

Options
  • 16-01-2020 1:30pm

hey, has anyone travelled solo with Intrepid travel?
    Any reviews positive or negative?

I need to get away somewhere & it will be just me. I don't mind travelling solo, but I think I would like to try one of these tour type holiday

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭whomenonotme

bubblypop wrote: »
    hey, has anyone travelled solo with Intrepid travel?
    Any reviews positive or negative?

I need to get away somewhere & it will be just me. I don't mind travelling solo, but I think I would like to try one of these tour type holiday

I was on a trip with them last Nov in Cambodia, not solo but a third of the group were solo travellers.

Found them excellent, trip was well organised, itinerary left time for doing my own thing and the trip leader was brilliant. Have a read of the reviews on their website, they post up the recent ones.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I met a few girls in Jordan last year who were with them. They rated it highly. I might have to do this at some point as I fancy a few places that might not be as safe.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Evenstevens

I've done two trips solo with them. They were both great. very well organised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Did three trips with Intrepid back before I was married with kids. First two (to Cambodia/Vietnam, and to Egypt) were as a solo traveller, and the third (Cuba) was with my girlfriend of the time, who’s now my wife. All three were very well organised and run, and overall I’d recommend them.

Just be conscious that as a solo traveller, a lot will depend on the group you’re in. My first trip was with a brilliant group of about 12 others (roughly eight singles, and two couples), with only one “oddball” (and I’m choosing my words carefully!), and some great times were had.

Second trip was a different story. There were four older ladies from New Zealand (late 60s/early 70s ish) who very much stuck together, an English bloke in his 60s who only ever wanted to talk about his days in the Navy, and a German couple in their 40s who barely spoke to anybody else at all throughout the entire trip.

So it can be a bit hit and miss that way, but it’d be like that across all such travel companies, and there’s really nothing you can do about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Did two with Intrepid...Vietnam and Thailand. Had no issues with either trip.

Also travelled with Exodus and on my trip to Jordan., there were 3 Irish in total. Weird as it sounds, it made a difference.

If you are looking at a specific date, you can check the demographic of your group. I always check to ensure other solos.

• Advertisement

anewme wrote: »
    If you are looking at a specific date, you can check the demographic of your group. I always check to ensure other solos.

Oh, didn't know you could do that! Just email them is it?

bubblypop wrote: »
    Oh, didn't know you could do that! Just email them is it?

Are you booking yourself or through someone like Trailfinders?

With Exodus, I always just ring.

Did three trips with Intrepid back before I was married with kids. First two (to Cambodia/Vietnam, and to Egypt) were as a solo traveller, and the third (Cuba) was with my girlfriend of the time, who’s now my wife. All three were very well organised and run, and overall I’d recommend them.

Just be conscious that as a solo traveller, a lot will depend on the group you’re in. My first trip was with a brilliant group of about 12 others (roughly eight singles, and two couples), with only one “oddball” (and I’m choosing my words carefully!), and some great times were had.

Second trip was a different story. There were four older ladies from New Zealand (late 60s/early 70s ish) who very much stuck together, an English bloke in his 60s who only ever wanted to talk about his days in the Navy, and a German couple in their 40s who barely spoke to anybody else at all throughout the entire trip.

So it can be a bit hit and miss that way, but it’d be like that across all such travel companies, and there’s really nothing you can do about it.

It's funny you say that. The group dynamic is so important. On one trip I was one of 4 solo travellers, the rest were in couples and tbh it was too many couples! It didn't promote much interaction really but the trips themselves and the things we saw were great.

One time I went on a trip and the group dynamic was terrible. The Group just did not gel at all. Even the guide spoke to me and said, zero connection with this group.

One time I went and the group was small enough 10, but 4 of us really hit it off and are still in touch weekly.

There is always one "oddball" in the group, and if you don't know who it is, its probably you!

One time I went on a trip and the group dynamic was terrible. The Group just did not gel at all. Even the guide spoke to me and said, zero connection with this group.

One time I went and the group was small enough 10, but 4 of us really hit it off and are still in touch weekly.

There is always one "oddball" in the group, and if you don't know who it is, its probably you!

How did you find Exodus? Haven't heard of them before.

• Advertisement

How did you find Exodus? Haven't heard of them before.

Exodus and Expolore both based in UK. Have done a couple of trips with both.

More expensive than G or Intrepid, but more of a UK/Ireland base and more expensive, but pitched at an older audience, again depending on trip.

I know Trailfinders use Exodus a lot.

I also went with UK Group The Flashpack - do not even consider it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've done 4 trips with Exodus (cycling/outdoor stuff), booked with Abbey Travel here. It's handy if you can avoid London Heathrow and can pay in Euro.

Guides have been good. Group dynamics have been good or great. My Tuscany trip was utterly fantastic, we had a lot craic and gelled very well. Vietnam was mostly an older group, The majority of them were grandparents and a few others 45-60+. It was different and I found two weeks with that crowd felt like my limit...you cycle, have breakfast, lunch and dinner with them. I did Thailand 5 years ago (Red Spokes, not Exodus), that was two weeks, but we had a smaller group and good fun. It's just a wavelength thing and you can't predict that. In Tuscany we did have one older guy who seemed to piss people off with his one upmanship on the bike. We grew weary of him.

I've not ruled out Intrepid, but will probably head to Italy again with Exodus. Previously I've used Trek America. At 18-38, however, I'm almost too old for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,421 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

How are these companies for alone time? I've come to be quite fond of being on my own when travelling or at least some alone time if I'm in a group of friends.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,225 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

How are these companies for alone time? I've come to be quite fond of being on my own when travelling or at least some alone time if I'm in a group of friends.

On two week cycling trips there's usually two free days. One is generally after a big mileage day, ime, or half way. We had two nights on an island in Vietnam and a few of us went snorkelling, then did our own thing. It was a small island there wasn't much to do, nice to rest anyway. On shorter trips I'll have to think back. Think we had a free day in Sienna in Italy alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Yeah, generally a free day or two somewhere along the line, even on shorter trips like a week or 10 days. You'd also have the option each evening of just doing your own thing rather than going out with the group for dinner or whatever.

It's not like you'll be chained to the group 24/7!

I've done 4 trips with Exodus (cycling/outdoor stuff), booked with Abbey Travel here. It's handy if you can avoid London Heathrow and can pay in Euro.

Guides have been good. Group dynamics have been good or great. My Tuscany trip was utterly fantastic, we had a lot craic and gelled very well. Vietnam was mostly an older group, The majority of them were grandparents and a few others 45-60+. It was different and I found two weeks with that crowd felt like my limit...you cycle, have breakfast, lunch and dinner with them. I did Thailand 5 years ago (Red Spokes, not Exodus), that was two weeks, but we had a smaller group and good fun. It's just a wavelength thing and you can't predict that. In Tuscany we did have one older guy who seemed to piss people off with his one upmanship on the bike. We grew weary of him.

I've not ruled out Intrepid, but will probably head to Italy again with Exodus. Previously I've used Trek America. At 18-38, however, I'm almost too old for them.

I find it much cheaper to pay in Stg.

I book with the Company direct (Exodus and Explore )and book through the UK website. It will try and re direct you to the eu website, but dont take that option.

You will find there is a huge mark of of euro vs. Stg.

Last year I reckon I saved 200 euro in one trip by paying in (doing an exchange through currency fair) and booking through UK.

You book your own flights so you dont have to go through Heathrow either.

I did cycling Sardinia last year with Explore. The cycling was fairly tough for me (and I reckon your Tuscany man might have been in it, lol) but I did like the trip, it was not very touristy, so if you like cycling, it's a nice one.

I find it much cheaper to pay in Stg.

I book with the Company direct (Exodus and Explore )and book through the UK website. It will try and re direct you to the eu website, but dont take that option.

You will find there is a huge mark of of euro vs. Stg.

Last year I reckon I saved 200 euro in one trip by paying in (doing an exchange through currency fair) and booking through UK.

You book your own flights so you dont have to go through Heathrow either.

I did cycling Sardinia last year with Explore. The cycling was fairly tough for me (and I reckon your Tuscany man might have been in it, lol) but I did like the trip, it was not very touristy, so if you like cycling, it's a nice one.

Thanks anewme. I'll do a comparison the next time re Euro and Pounds. One frustrating thing was travel agent wasn't able to source transfers which essentially ruled out certain Italy trips (iirc, such as this), I guess less busy airports may not have much available. I could probably have made me own way to the start point with some time and research. It worked out in the end as Tuscany was great - the group, plus the leader and van driver/mechanic (two women) had contrasting personalities. One of those rare ones where the WhatsApp group still dings once or twice a year. Keen to visit Sicily and Sardinia. Yer man liked his Strava. I usually go for level 3 or 4 as I still want it to be a holiday, not a fitness test.

Thanks anewme. I'll do a comparison the next time re Euro and Pounds. One frustrating thing was travel agent wasn't able to source transfers which essentially ruled out certain Italy trips (iirc, such as this), I guess less busy airports may not have much available. I could probably have made me own way to the start point with some time and research. It worked out in the end as Tuscany was great - the group, plus the leader and van driver/mechanic (two women) had contrasting personalities. One of those rare ones where the WhatsApp group still dings once or twice a year. Keen to visit Sicily and Sardinia. Yer man liked his Strava. I usually go for level 3 or 4 as I still want it to be a holiday, not a fitness test.

I've looked at that exact trip last year and again this year and because the flights would not tie up, I booked Sardinia cycling with Explore instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I met a few girls in Jordan last year who were with them. They rated it highly. I might have to do this at some point as I fancy a few places that might not be as safe.

How did you find Jordan last year acd? Was there any disruption due to the war in Syria and how did you get in/out of it, via Israel or fly direct to Amman? Its probably my fav country in the Middle East, people there were so friendly and its really well set up for tourism. Would love to get back there at some stage.

Also where do Intrepid go that is less safe? Mate of mine used to drive for them doing 50-60 day trips all around South America. He got offered a job last year from another small tour company to do trips around Afghanistan, he promptly said no thanks!

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How did you find Jordan last year acd? Was there any disruption due to the war in Syria and how did you get in/out of it, via Israel or fly direct to Amman? Its probably my fav country in the Middle East, people there were so friendly and its really well set up for tourism. Would love to get back there at some stage.

Also where do Intrepid go that is less safe? Mate of mine used to drive for them doing 50-60 day trips all around South America. He got offered a job last year from another small tour company to do trips around Afghanistan, he promptly said no thanks!

It was wonderful. Fantastic trip altogether.

I went in and out of Amman. Did Jordan solo. Even managed to achieve a little bit of notoriety as there weren't too many solo Irish fellas taxi'ng around the place. People were really sound and came across as being quite well educated. One lad asked me if I was from Sligo.

When I said "less safe", I was thinking about African countries and the likes of Egypt which never seems to be too stable. I'd be going solo so there's nobody to turn to if it hits the fan.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,566 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Slightly OT, but regarding Jordan, it's perfectly fine Solo, no issues whatsoever.

I was there about 5 months ago, crossed over at the Rabin Border Crossing, stayed in Aqaba, did Wadi Rum and Wadi Musa.
    Got a Taxi/driver up to Amman then and went to Jerash and Umm Qais and flew back out of Amman by Ryanair(Sun).

I've looked at that exact trip last year and again this year and because the flights would not tie up, I booked Sardinia cycling with Explore instead.

Did you book your own flights that time and pay Explore in Euro or Sterling?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was wonderful. Fantastic trip altogether.

I went in and out of Amman. Did Jordan solo. Even managed to achieve a little bit of notoriety as there weren't too many solo Irish fellas taxi'ng around the place. People were really sound and came across as being quite well educated. One lad asked me if I was from Sligo.

When I said "less safe", I was thinking about African countries and the likes of Egypt which never seems to be too stable. I'd be going solo so there's nobody to turn to if it hits the fan.

Yeah Egypt is definitely rough and ready travel but the political situation there seems to have stabilsed from what it was a couple of years back. I backpacked it solo years back and apart from the hassle from touts it was alright, you do need your street smarts about you though. That said there has been kidnappings/deaths of tourists before, mainly Israelis in the Sinai but they no longer holiday there AFAIK.

Likes of Tanzania, Kenya in east Africa is well set up for solo travel and generally considered safe but you just never know, there was a terrorist attack on the main shopping centre in Nairobi about 2/3 years back.

Did you book your own flights that time and pay Explore in Euro or Sterling?

I booked my own flights. Direct flight with Ryanair. Once I booked the flights, I gave them to Explore and they arranged for my pick up at he airport.

I booked with Explore via their UK office by phone and I paid them via Bank Transfer through currency fair.

Explore have an offer on some cycling trips at the moment - that the single supplement is waived on certain departures. Not sure if Sardinia one is included.

The only downside in not booking through a travel agent is that if for example Ryanair did not fly- it would be your own responsibility to make your own way there. I thought it was worth taking the chance as it saved me a good few quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Have travelled with Gadventures and booked again for later this year. Similar to intrepid with the difference being more hostel type accommodation but the prices reflect that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

What's not included
    Travel insurance
    Single accommodation (available on request)
    Visas or vaccinations

The above is from the Exodus website.
    The bolded part, does this mean you are sharing a room with another traveler?

What's not included
    Travel insurance
    Single accommodation (available on request)
    Visas or vaccinations

The above is from the Exodus website.
    The bolded part, does this mean you are sharing a room with another traveler?

Yep, same as any of those travel Companies.

If you opt for solo, you pay the dreaded single supplement.

I always pay it, or sometimes there are offers with no supplement.

Advertisement