Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sim for US travel

Options
  • 28-12-2019 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭

I'm sure there are threads on this on boards somewhere, but I'm having difficulty getting a search result that is any way recent.

I'm travelling to the US for a week in mid-January, and would like to be able to use data for Googlemaps, Uber, Whatsapp etc. I bought a prepaid sim for US travel (prepaidzero) the last time I was over, and it was complete muck. I'm with Three prepay at the moment, which is great for the EU, but I was wondering if there is some sort of similar add-on for the US, or whether it's easiest just to buy a SIM over there. My phone is dual-sim, so that might help in that regard.

Thoughts or redirections welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Ultramobile, the tourist package from T-Mobile is probably your best bet. Coverage may be an issue depending on where you choose to travel. You can find all information on their website.

My brother used it when visiting Florida earlier this year and all was fine there.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good thread here...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102256154

I've used this before for data and WhatsApp in a dual sim phone, worked perfect, 12GB which lasts a year from initial activation...
    https://www.mymemory.co.uk/3-payg-4g-trio-data-sim-pack-with-12gb-data.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Most important is to check your phone's compatible with whatever signal frequency the SIM/US company uses. I had a generous roaming package with my French provider which turned out to be completely useless as my phone couldn't connect to any of their partner carriers. I had to fall back on my PAYG Three (Ire) service instead. Called into about half a dozen mobile shops to see if I could get a compatible card while I was on the road and came away with nothing better than the Three offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Good thread here...

I've used this before for data and WhatsApp in a dual sim phone, worked perfect, 12GB which lasts a year from initial activation...

+1 for this. Literally posting this post using my 4G in the States with one of these SIMs on my 4th trip Herr since the summer. Great for Google Maps, great value

• Registered Users Posts: 13,327 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Good thread here...

+1 for this. Literally posting this post using my 4G in the States with one of these 3 UK SIMs on my 4th trip here since the summer. Great for Google Maps, great value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

T-Mobile sells prepaid SIM cards for unlocked phones so that is usually my preference for travel to the US. They now have a Tourist Plan which may be overkill for some. I have been going with the standard prepaid SIM which you can reuse (same phone number) if you visit the USA often enough. Eventually the SIM will expire if you have no funds and no use but they don't make it clear when.

You can pop into most T-Mobile stores and they are quick to pay and set it up for you. I think it costs $10 for the SIM but it might vary or come in kits. You can also buy them in some stores like Best Buy I'm told. Then it costs $3/month flat for the service (month to month as long as you have funds prepaid) and then you can use the T-Mobile app to buy a Data Pass. 7 Days for $10 for up to 1GB which isn't great but usually good enough when you can't get onto free WiFi.

Update: I looked online and it appears to be branded as Ultra Mobile PayGo plan now but linked directly from the T-Mobile website for pay as you go. Not sure why but here in the URL:
    https://www.ultramobile.com/paygo/?icid=WMM_TMNG_PPEULTRA_O6BDJUPVQ5RM3G9P617763

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Thanks for all the replies, guys. Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and put things on the long finger, and now the sim doesn't have time to get here. Sigh. I guess I'll pick up something ridiculously expensive over there instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

I'm PAYG with VF and was in New York in October for a week - i turned off data and used wifi over there, pretty much everywhere i got a signal - subway stations was actually great for wifi, brilliant signal there! And just walking around i could pick up wifi and use my google maps easy enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Jac66

I am just back and the $20 SIM card which I bought in Mobile was perfect. The assistant in the shop set the whole thing up. They were really helpful. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭marieky21

+1 for T-Mobile sim used it in October on west coast worked perfectly lady in shop set it up would highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Update: Got T-mobile sim. 6gigs for $35 dollars. Utter garbage. No signal pretty much anywhere, even in the heart of Denver.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Ficheall wrote: »
    Update: Got T-mobile sim. 6gigs for $35 dollars. Utter garbage. No signal pretty much anywhere, even in the heart of Denver.

We picked up a T-Mobile sim in Charlotte NC and had to drive to New Bern. We wanted to be able to contact my wife's parents and also use it for a little navigation. It was okay in Charlotte but the reception degraded the further we got from the city. Absolutely useless on the journey and reception non existent in New Bern. We even went to the local T-Mobile store to try find a solution and they just shrugged their shoulders because they knew the reception was iffy. We ended up switching to At&t and letting the T-Mobile sim die.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

HDMI wrote: »
    We picked up a T-Mobile sim in Charlotte NC and had to drive to New Bern. We wanted to be able to contact my wife's parents and also use it for a little navigation. It was okay in Charlotte but the reception degraded the further we got from the city. Absolutely useless on the journey and reception non existent in New Bern. We even went to the local T-Mobile store to try find a solution and they just shrugged their shoulders because they knew the reception was iffy. We ended up switching to At&t and letting the T-Mobile sim die.

AT&T typically has better coverage outside of cities.
    I've never had any issues with T-Mobile in California though.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

AT&T typically has better coverage outside of cities.
    I've never had any issues with T-Mobile in California though.

T-Mobile seems to be a really good option for some depending on where they are travelling. If anyone has plans to travel outside the bigger areas they really need to check full coverage before buying. For on the road I would suggest At&t or Verizon, both more expensive but much better coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 markm5ireland

Anyone any updates as of 2023, its for my kids phones (both unlocked) iphone 11 and XR but are on GoMo and its 1.99 per minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

If you don't need a number for calling/texting and just need data, then eSims all the way. They work out cheaper than most of the other plans and there's no messing around with SIM swapping. I got a 30 day/15GB plan with Nomad for US$21.25.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Thanks for this. Just got Nomad eSim for use in NewYork and it's perfect so far - $11 for 3gb. Got the gomoworld at €3.99 for 1gb for the kids too.. eSim and a little less straightforward to setup than Nomad but still works great. Thanks.

Advertisement