Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir rural FTTH thread II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Pangea wrote: »
    My brother just got 300mbs fibre in. Just done a speed check on wifi on my phone beside the router and I only got 185. Any suggestions?

Moist phones can only reach a limited speed regardless of the signal strength. Check the speed via lan cable to confirm the actual speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Try speed check on computer connected to router with ethernet cable not wifi.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

spix wrote: »
    Moist phones can only reach a limited speed regardless of the signal strength. Check the speed via lan cable to confirm the actual speed.
    Okay but my phone is dry as a whistle ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

They just started running fibre in Five Alley in Offaly today. It’s on the list for 1st half of 2018! Does anyone know how far behind the rollout is at this stage. We are due in 2nd half 2018, realistically is it likely to be into next year before we get it? I remember a spreadsheet floating around somewhere online in the past with numbers but I couldn’t find it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭turbbo

medoc wrote: »
    They just started running fibre in Five Alley in Offaly today. It’s on the list for 1st half of 2018! Does anyone know how far behind the rollout is at this stage. We are due in 2nd half 2018, realistically is it likely to be into next year before we get it? I remember a spreadsheet floating around somewhere online in the past with numbers but I couldn’t find it this morning.

Yeah, irelandoffline tweeted the figures back in early June:

"If Eircom repeat their best ever quarter (31,045) over the next three quarters, they’ll still be 62,000 premises behind schedule at 31/12/2018"

So at their fastest they wont even have finished by q2 2019. They are way behind but they had very optimistic targets set by themselves. I assuming the hot/dry weather made no difference to the speed of the rollout - I'm guessing it would be better than wet weather for working on cabinets and splice boxes etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

Pangea wrote: »
    My brother just got 300mbs fibre in. Just done a speed check on wifi on my phone beside the router and I only got 185. Any suggestions?

That sounds about right

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

We've updated the database today for OpenEIR FTTC/FTTH.

It can be found at https://www.airwire.ie/avail
    Woohoo! Some good news for family with this update. Not in the areas you listed, but there's an early august activation date.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

turbbo wrote: »
    "If Eircom repeat their best ever quarter (31,045) over the next three quarters, they’ll still be 62,000 premises behind schedule at 31/12/2018"

Their rollout is very hit and miss.

Q1 was just under 30k
    Q2 was just under 21k

last week they announced nearly 17k premises.

That's FTTH only.

Maybe they're trying to set a new record this month/quarter :)

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Marlow wrote: »
    Their rollout is very hit and miss.

Q1 was just under 30k
    Q2 was just under 21k

last week they announced nearly 17k premises.

That's FTTH only.

Maybe they're trying to set a new record this month/quarter :)

/M
    But now we're back to the old argument about whether 'Premises Passed' means an order can actually be placed. I think I'll keep following Navi's numbers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KOR101 wrote: »
    But now we're back to the old argument about whether 'Premises Passed' means an order can actually be placed. I think I'll keep following Navi's numbers.

To be honest I'd put more trust the numbers Marlow is getting. My data is from the fibrerollout site which they now seem to view as an annoyance given the frequency of updates. The files released to ISPs are more up to date and they would want some brass neck to be mass releasing false data.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Had an Eir sales rep arrive tonight to try and sign me up for fibre.

He was surprised to hear that I had already done so. Presumably the air site is still not saying we are live, but the Airwire one (thanks) says we are live. Presumably this rep got the same info at the same time as Airwire and he has started looking for sales.

He was disappointed to hear that the DPs aren't live yet but at the same time he was glad to know it rather than him making promises to people that Eir can't deliver on due to the points not being live.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Had an Eir sales rep arrive tonight to try and sign me up for fibre.

He was surprised to hear that I had already done so. Presumably the air site is still not saying we are live, but the Airwire one (thanks) says we are live. Presumably this rep got the same info at the same time as Airwire and he has started looking for sales.

He was disappointed to hear that the DPs aren't live yet but at the same time he was glad to know it rather than him making promises to people that Eir can't deliver on due to the points not being live.

The eir reps were around selling in my area about a month before we went live. He was able to give me the exact date our section was going live and to be fair he was correct.

KOR101 wrote: »
    To be honest I'd put more trust the numbers Marlow is getting. My data is from the fibrerollout site which they now seem to view as an annoyance given the frequency of updates. The files released to ISPs are more up to date and they would want some brass neck to be mass releasing false data.

I could always try and filter the ones out that have a future date and the ones that have been listed as "no more ports available"'ish .. which means that either: the DPs aren't lit, they "accidently" listed them early to shine the figures and then had to backtrack or the gear turned up faulty at the exchange, so the roll-out got delayed, but they couldn't remove them, because orders had been placed. :) ... There's not too many of those though.

Having said that ... OE has nearly reached the 200k marker now. So that's 66% of the 300k.

/M

I could always try and filter the ones out that have a future date and the ones that have been listed as "no more ports available"'ish .. which means that either: the DPs aren't lit, they "accidently" listed them early to shine the figures and then had to backtrack or the gear turned up faulty at the exchange, so the roll-out got delayed, but they couldn't remove them, because orders had been placed. :) ... There's not too many of those though.

Having said that ... OE has nearly reached the 200k marker now. So that's 66% of the 300k.

/M

Some of those 200K (~ 40 - 50K) would be urban or have you disregarded the urban premises?

Some of those 200K (~ 40 - 50K) would be urban or have you disregarded the urban premises?

No, I didn't. 50% so. But the urban one could be less. The initial ones are probably most of the just over 3000 that have no eircodes.

The other ones should be easy enough identified. Dublin has a chunk, so has Ennis and I think Wexford has quite a few.

/M

(~ 40 - 50K) would be urban

I had a quick look on urban ones:

Dublin: approx 5k
    Wexford: approx 4k
    Ennis: approx 500

any other areas ?

I had a quick look on urban ones:

Dublin: approx 5k
    Wexford: approx 4k
    Ennis: approx 500

any other areas ?

Quickly going through the data I have found:

Town Map Total Rural Planned Urban
    Balbriggan 1440 324 1116
    Castlebar 1390 1092 298
    Cavan 2830 708 2122
    Drogheda 2190 469 1721
    Ennis 2040 424 1616
    Kilkenny 4680 637 4043
    Letterkenny 6590 748 5842
    Monaghan 1200 459 741
    Naas 4530 0 4530
    Rathedmond 3290 426 2864
    Sandyford 2960 0 2960
    Tralee 2420 752 1668
    Wexford 4480 490 3990

I think I may be missing a few areas around Cork City and maybe a few others. It's the only way I have of telling urban and rural apart even though I'm not sure how accurate it is.

I think I may be missing a few areas around Cork City and maybe a few others. It's the only way I have of telling urban and rural apart even though I'm not sure how accurate it is.

You're probably pretty spot on. The way, I identified them is by mapping them and then look at the amounts in clusters in urban areas.

The only problem is, that over 3000 don't have eircodes, so can't be mapped. But they're nearly all early ones (so urban) and approx 1500 of those are in Co. Wexford.

/M

You're probably pretty spot on. The way, I identified them is by mapping them and then look at the amounts in clusters in urban areas.

The only problem is, that over 3000 don't have eircodes, so can't be mapped. But they're nearly all early ones (so urban) and approx 1500 of those are in Co. Wexford.

/M

Yeah I think I'm not too far off. My figures somewhat tally with this:

455671.png

from their third quarter FY18 presentation (page 6) on 11/05/2018

https://www.eir.ie/.content/pdf/IR/presentations/2017_2018/quarter3/eir_3rd_quarter_results_presentation_FY1718_1.pdf

Yeah I think I'm not too far off. My figures somewhat tally with this:

That figure was significantly inflated. It was less than 190k total the day before they released that :) Fun part, it's near enough to the 1st of the month, so the figures the department gets would even show, that they rounded up. It's around 215k last week.

Either way, assuming 40k are urban, we're at 175k.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭AidenL

Out the road past the gaa pitch. When youre coming from bundoran just after you go under the last bridge before the turn off at the mart. On the right hand side

I havent noticed anyother fibre work since they put the ducting in, seems weird theyd do one wee section with fibre and dp

Loads of action today...……..

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

AidenL wrote: »
    Loads of action today...……..

They can fairly throw it up. Big roll of fibre down from the basecamp. Think the are putting the dp on the poll and through the man hole infront of our house which is good because the box is ****ed i was worried they would replace it to put the dp in the ground

Great to see it actually happening.

Even happier there’s a loop on the pole at my gate, and also three more loops back in the road, all close to houses which were going to be in the NBP. They must be going to include them in this rollout.
    They can fairly throw it up. Big roll of fibre down from the basecamp. Think the are putting the dp on the poll and through the man hole infront of our house which is good because the box is ****ed i was worried they would replace it to put the box in the ground

Couple of quick questions as things are moving on.

I had a lot of trees and branches cut, but I see today that one branch ( probably due to the weight of leaves on it?) had now touched the existing phone cable where the fibre would be ran in. It’s a small branch, but quite high. I just can’t reach it. It’s only one branch touching at one point.

Would this block my install, or would the KN guys lop it off when they would be doing the overhead?

Also, my router is upstairs, as is the master socket, so I’d need to get through my attic, which is floored. Is an attic install possible? I’d be happy to pull the cable in the attic myself.

Couple of quick questions as things are moving on.

I had a lot of trees and branches cut, but I see today that one branch ( probably due to the weight of leaves on it?) had now touched the existing phone cable where the fibre would be ran in. It’s a small branch, but quite high. I just can’t reach it.

Would this block my install, or would the KN guys lop it off when they would be doing the overhead?

Also, my router is upstairs, as is the master socket, so I’d need to get through my attic, which is floored. Is an attic install possible? I’d be happy to pull the cable in the attic myself.

If it's on your property they will not cut it in my experience. Try to have everything clear in order to avoid giving them an excuse to not do the install.

The attic may be dodgy also. It's likely they'll refuse to enter it though as it has a floor it may not be such an issue. It could depend on who you get as to how accommodating they will be. Maybe have a back up plan to route the cable if he starts complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,248 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

They won't install in an attic period - fire risk etc, as for the tree you should be grand

fritzelly wrote: »
    They won't install in an attic period - fire risk etc, as for the tree you should be grand

If I had a hole drilled, would they let me pull it through the attic myself though and leave it where my router is?

If I had a hole drilled, would they let me pull it through the attic myself though and leave it where my router is?

They have to install it.

If it's on your property they will not cut it in my experience. Try to have everything clear in order to avoid giving them an excuse to not do the install.

The attic may be dodgy also. It's likely they'll refuse to enter it though as it has a floor it may not be such an issue. It could depend on who you get as to how accommodating they will be. Maybe have a back up plan to route the cable if he starts complaining.

I’ll get it cut then just in case.

I have no other obvious route to where the master socket is. Wouldn’t all overheads end up in an attic though?

• Advertisement

I’ll get it cut then just in case.

I have no other obvious route to where the master socket is. Wouldn’t all overheads end up in an attic though?

Probably best - as Navi said you could get an awkward tech who just says no

Overheads go to the gable and then down. Some guys have got the tech to feed it thru existing ducting in the attic which then leads down to somewhere else - that is not an hassle as he is just pushing the cable thru

You need to think about where to have it placed that you can join it up to your master socket

Personally I wouldn't want something in an inaccessible place that is constantly on - just needs to overheat slightly...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement