Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jewellery postage

Options
  • 03-03-2012 2:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭

I want to mail a necklace to america from dublin and send it by insured registered mail.

Im wondering if I can do this as someone told me I cant send jewellery by mail.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

• Registered Users Posts: 33 SamShadow

For people coming to this post at a later juncture, the An Post website does indeed currently say that jewellery is not covered by insurance:

"The following items will be accepted for Registered Post but are not insured:

Bank drafts
    Cash and coins
    Documents
    Glass and other fragile items
    Jewellery
    Passports
    Precious metals such as platinum, gold or silver
    Vouchers with a monetary face value"

What is slightly strange is that their guide to postal services ("Effective from 1st July 2015") available at:

http://www.anpost.ie/anpost/downloads/anpost/guide_to_postal_services.pdf

states that "Jewellery sent using Registered Post can only be insured up to a maximum weight of 2kg in the Republic of Ireland."

So, this seems to be an exception; granted it would have not been of any help to the original poster as they were sending to America.

Not sure whether this guide is still valid but I can't find a later version.

I have been able to find a service called Secursus that offers insurance at 0.6% of declared value (subject to a minimum of €5). They list jewellery as a risky item but it is covered (see https://www.secursus.com/terms-and-conditions.php ).

Unfortunately they do not cover "minted coins" so the search goes on for someone that covers this. From what I can see DHL, Fedex or UPS might be possibilities but I need to research further.

Advertisement