Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Warcraft: The Movie

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The total lack of any kind of star-power is what's really sticking out to me: usually when a cast is so relatively unknown, there still tends to be a cameo here and there by someone more famous; someone that'll looks good in posters and trailers anyway, but you don't have to pay them for the full film. I guess the studio are hoping the brand recognition alone will carry the buzz, but the absence of a big-name is curious.

I think the problem with the suggestions that it looks generic is that ... well, it does look generic & there's very little you can do with a High Fantasy setting these days that won't end up looking terribly derivative and blatantly cribbing on Lord of the Rings & its ilk. IIRC, Warcraft came about when a deal with Warhammer fell through and Blizzard went ahead with their own mythology anyway, but both franchises clearly lean heavily on a style and worldbuilding approach that apes Tolkien's vision of a fantasy realm. You'd think with Earth History, we just went from Medieval to Industrial age with nothing in between :D

Of Blizzard's franchises, personally I'd be more interested in a Starcraft adaptation; sure its own mythology takes heavy inspiration from other sources, but I think they're less played-out and universal than the standard Fantasy setting of Warcraft's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Still think they went the wrong way about it.

I know some hardcore fans would be p*ssed but they would have had an easier time and possibly a better movie if they didnt try to tackle the lore as a whole but instead did an original story in the *world of warcraft* and didnt try to make it the world changing epic. But brought the scale down. I'd say this is actually a problem with a lot of blockbusters these days they really struggle to scale back the size of the crisis, I'd say for the marvel films that the ones that are scaled down tend to be the better ones and leave the world saving to the avenger films.

While I'm glad they opted to go pre WOW in terms of big battles etc it does feel like they are struggling with wanting to touch into the content that came from warcraft 3 but staying in the timeline around the original warcraft.

frankly I think very few of the fanbase would hate them for just adapting part of warcraft 3 instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Cinemas showing this are going to have to widen and reinforce the seats to accommodate all the fat lads it will attract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I was seriously hyped for this film. The trailer is severely disappointing and just a big pile of meh. Looks like a trailer for a video game and not a film. Had high hopes with Duncan Jones directing. I still hold out a faint hope but will wait for the reviews before I decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,568 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ah that's the guy who played Ragnor Lothbrok in Vikings.

Reminds me of Brad Pitt

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

Whens the next WOW expansion out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Belox

Wasn't impressed with the trailer though Blizzard was very picky with producer. I wish they could start SC movie as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭_Puma_

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    frankly I think very few of the fanbase would hate them for just adapting part of warcraft 3 instead.

The whole Arthas betrayal/human campaign in Warcraft 3 is still one of the stand out storylines in a video game for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27 Belox

_Puma_ wrote: »
    The whole Arthas betrayal/human campaign in Warcraft 3 is still one of the stand out storylines in a video game for me.

Blizzs are really good with storylines ;)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

New trailer:

Hopefully it ends up being a bit of fun, CG looks dodgy enough but I don't really care as long as there's a decent story behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Mickeroo wrote: »
    New trailer:

Hopefully it ends up being a bit of fun, CG looks dodgy enough but I don't really care as long as there's a decent story behind it.

Well that looks utterly generic

Is some of that cgi designed to look like WOW in game footage? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

How could it not look generic though, considering how boilerplate the whole setting is? Thought the CG looked ok myself, just suffered from issues with the Uncanny Valley, which always breaks the illusion a little

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Out of all the story lines they could have started with and they went with this, it wont draw in people that don't know the game and is why it looks so generic. People have seen enough of the humans vs orc with lotr/hobbit. I'd much prefer if they went with the undead, fook it, just do the whole lich king thing...

But yeah looks woeful, ill likely go see it as i have the cineworld card... but i wouldnt pay cash to see this.. and that says alot having played the games and a fan of the series.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭ThatGeekGirl

Cinemas showing this are going to have to widen and reinforce the seats to accommodate all the fat lads it will attract.
    Only fat lads play WoW then? as a female WoW player that has me told I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Thought the CGI looked reasonably good there. The problem may come when it's CGI people/orcs fighting other CGI characters, tends to take me out of a film when that happens. Ive never played WOW in my life but interested to see this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Ya know, It doesn't look too bad.

It looks like they've, at least, tried. I'm looking forward to this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

A few scenes have been leaked/released that look a little more promising than the fairly generic stuff from the trailers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Honestly really only the last scene felt genuinely interesting and good.

The first scene had some weird framing near the end (hope its just because it leaks)

The second scene i'm unsure about. Third scene similar.

fourth scene though is nice. Good animation on the little details and does set some interesting ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I guess I'll spoiler this WC2 stuff, seeing as it presumably spoils stuff in a film set before it:
    My knowledge of the original lore is a bit wobbly, but I wasn't aware the Gul'Dan was in charge at any stage.

Isn't Orgrim Doomhammer in charge of the Orcs in Azeroth and Ner'Zhul in charge of Dreanor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Gbear wrote: »
    I guess I'll spoiler this WC2 stuff, seeing as it presumably spoils stuff in a film set before it:
    My knowledge of the original lore is a bit wobbly, but I wasn't aware the Gul'Dan was in charge at any stage.

Isn't Orgrim Doomhammer in charge of the Orcs in Azeroth and Ner'Zhul in charge of Dreanor?

Probably big spoilers for the film.
    Gul'dan takes charge when Ner'Zhul finds out the truth. Gul'Dan pretty much jumps into bed with the burning legion and gives the orcs the demon blood. This is probably all before the film starts.

Blackhand was a puppet leader for the shadow council with Gul'Dan as the real leader, nobody liked Gul'Dan so he used Blackhand as the face of the leadership. Orgrim killed Blackhand and the shadow council after Medivh is killed (Gul'Dan goes into a coma), this will either happen at the end or in the next war if theres another film.

Thats all assuming they follow the lore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 josh_96

Im not sure about this movie, i watched the trailer last week doesn't look great imo, duncan jones directed it so there might be hope i enjoyed moon and sourcecode.

would have been better if they could have just gone the same route as they do with the game trailers but perhaps that would have taken to long. still I love the storyline so the movie itself should be good provided the cgi is not absolutely brutal

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭The_Mac

Seems we're getting it 30th May, earlier than the yanks but later than a lot of mainland Europe. Anyone else really excited for this movie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

The_Mac wrote: »
    Seems we're getting it 30th May, earlier than the yanks but later than a lot of mainland Europe. Anyone else really excited for this movie?

Was looking online for tickets when I saw it was the 25th as I'm off that day but ye, sucks it's the 30th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Well, this thread takes me back in time.

Still have never played the game :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Texas Jack

Buzzing for this

If anyone is sellign tickets for the advance screenings or premiere in the savoy ill take them off you!

Is it not odd that there's no early reviews?

common enough for films that the studio is....apprehensive.. about :D

There hasn't really been much buzz, marketing or tattle about this from the get-go; even back when production had started nobody was really talking about the film. Hard to know what to make of the general lack of studio enthusiasm.

Had to laugh at the likes of 'Chantelle', 'Leonda' and 'Nikita' on all the Warcraft screening competitions on Facebook declaring how they're long time fans of the game :-D

• Advertisement

... why?

... why?

Because they're not even filthy casuals :pac:

Bambi wrote: »
    Because they're not even filthy casuals :pac:

THIS

pixelburp wrote: »
    There hasn't really been much buzz, marketing or tattle about this from the get-go; even back when production had started nobody was really talking about the film. Hard to know what to make of the general lack of studio enthusiasm.

Went to see X-Men Apocalypse (which was awful) there the last day, they showed a trailer for Warcraft before hand. I saw some on the TV too. Plenty of advertising for it.

Went to see X-Men Apocalypse (which was awful) there the last day, they showed a trailer for Warcraft before hand. I saw some on the TV too. Plenty of advertising for it.

But not really on par with what other movies do, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭nix

Usually going overkill on the advertising is usually a sign the movie will be pants. Excluding the recent deadpool, which had alot of marketing and in my opinion delivered on the entertainment factor.

So who knows!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Saw the same trailer. Loiks gorgeous but the plot looks like **** imo. I will see it though for lolz

Saw the same trailer. Loiks gorgeous but the plot looks like **** imo. I will see it though for lolz

isn't it just the first war? if you think thats **** you probably shouldn't bother with the warcraft movies

Need tickets to the premiere :(

• Advertisement

isn't it just the first war? if you think thats **** you probably shouldn't bother with the warcraft movies

The fact that it goes for cliche of good people from the "bad guys" team up with the good guys turns me off a bit. I wish they just kept with the Frostwolves going into exile. Orgrim is a Frostwolf too, which I dislike, since we could have seen more of Blackhand from Doomhammer's perspective if they kept in a Blackrock.

The fact that it goes for cliche of good people from the "bad guys" team up with the good guys turns me off a bit. I wish they just kept with the Frostwolves going into exile. Orgrim is a Frostwolf too, which I dislike, since we could have seen more of Blackhand from Doomhammer's perspective if they kept in a Blackrock.

He is?

I have been against how they have Durotan going to join up with the humans. Would have been far better to just have him cover the orcs in a perspective to show they arent all for war but has to go along with it to protect his people.

waaaaaat thats very disappointing if they are changing fundamental parts of the plot. Are you sure about this?

waaaaaat thats very disappointing if they are changing fundamental parts of the plot. Are you sure about this?

Yep pretty sure its been confirmed in the prequel novel. It really sucks, but I can see how they'll work around it by making him a Frostwolf. Well be getting the first reviews in a day or two anyway so we'll see how good it is.

Yep pretty sure its been confirmed in the prequel novel. It really sucks, but I can see how they'll work around it by making him a Frostwolf. Well be getting the first reviews in a day or two anyway so we'll see how good it is.

That's bull**** to be honest doom hammer being pulled between black hand as his chief and durotan as his friend was a big part of his plot not to mention his being a member of the black hand clan was significant later on **** this

That's bull**** to be honest doom hammer being pulled between black hand as his chief and durotan as his friend was a big part of his plot not to mention his being a member of the black hand clan was significant later on **** this

Orgrim was originally a member of the Thunderlord clan. That said, them and Blackrocks were closely linked. I can see Orgrim saying **** no to siding with the humans and joining the Blackrocks but... I still don't see why they made the clan change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Reviews are starting to come out...

http://www.metacritic.com/movie/warcraft?ref=hp
    Sitting pretty at a 29 on metacritic at time of writing. Harsh.

Exactly who is "The Wrap" though? It's the problem with Metacritic. I'm expecting a 50-60 average and would 've happy with that.

Just missed out on 2 warcraft premiere tickets :(

He sold them to someone else

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

The prospect of a predominantly white, European realm being invaded by foreign, primitive, darker skinned hordes (they are actually called the Horde) might set alarm bells ringing in our current climate of immigration anxiety. Is this a veiled Ukip broadcast? Or a pro-Trump one?

This is from The Guardians review...classy as always.

It looks like fans of the game enjoy it but those who aren't find it meh.
    Kiith wrote: »
    This is from The Guardians review...classy as always.

I was wondering if there would be people trying to connect this as some sort of propaganda for the whole refugee thing. Ignoring that this story line has existed for about 20 years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement