Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4ife Combo HD STB

• 17-02-2020 9:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

Anyone used one of these boxes ?

And if so what is the feedback like ?

I don't need anything too expensive but plan to go from Sky Q to Eir TV, I really only need a box to record channels that is not possible to record on Eir (like Virgin)

Combi Set Top Box
    The 4IFE SV-402 is a Combi receiver. It can receive both Terrestrial channels and Satellite (Free to Air) channels including BBC, ITV and Channel 4.
    Mixed EPG
    The SV-402 mixes the Terrestrial and Free to Air channels in the one electronic program guide, so there is no need for switching between the two different signals.
    Multimedia Player
    The SV-402 has a built Multimedia Player capable of playing movies, music and photos directly from a USB stick or drive.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭NewClareman

campo wrote: »

I don't need anything too expensive but plan to go from Sky Q to Eir TV, I really only need a box to record channels that is not possible to record on Eir (like Virgin)

Combi Set Top Box
    The 4IFE SV-402 is a Combi receiver. It can receive both Terrestrial channels and Satellite (Free to Air) channels including BBC, ITV and Channel 4.
    Mixed EPG
    The SV-402 mixes the Terrestrial and Free to Air channels in the one electronic program guide, so there is no need for switching between the two different signals.
    Multimedia Player
    The SV-402 has a built Multimedia Player capable of playing movies, music and photos directly from a USB stick or drive.

They are very old at this stage, and were never very good. I’d avoid ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

They are very old at this stage, and were never very good. I’d avoid ...

What would be a good box below the 100e mark, reminder will only be used as a back so don't need anything too fancy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

What would be a good box below the 100e mark, reminder will only be used as a back so don't need anything too fancy.

Amiko mini combo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭NewClareman

I’d spend a little more (~£112) and buy the ZGEMMA H7S. You can add a HDD later if you want to. Otherwise WoS have the Maxytec Multibox 4K at £69.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 871 ✭✭✭decor58

Combi Set Top Box
    Mixed EPG
    Multimedia Player

If you are going from Sky Q to FTA you may have to change your LNB, the Walker combo seems to be reasonably OK, just under the 100€.

• Advertisement

decor58 wrote: »
    If you are going from Sky Q to FTA you may have to change your LNB, the Walker combo seems to be reasonably OK, just under the 100€.

Yep aware of the LNB switch over , and the Walker box was another I had highly considered and along with Amiko combo is probably front runner at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

I’d spend a little more (~£112) and buy the ZGEMMA H7S. You can add a HDD later if you want to. Otherwise WoS have the Maxytec Multibox 4K at £69.

is there a 7 day epg on the h7s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

yes full 7 day epg for both sat and terrestrial.

thanks gerry , so do you reckon the h7s is still the best in the range ya?
    im about to pull the trigger on one

thanks gerry , so do you reckon the h7s is still the best in the range ya?
    im about to pull the trigger on one
    Mine has been bomb proof from day one. Only downers are the annoying bright light on front and useless display. But you can manage without them

• Advertisement

Mine has been bomb proof from day one. Only downers are the annoying bright light on front and useless display. But you can manage without them

ok cool ,you mean they can be disabled?

I ended up putting masking tape on the light. Its THAT bright. The display is just 4 digits for time or chan number
    But for the money it does all Ive asked of it

I ended up putting masking tape on the light. Its THAT bright. The display is just 4 digits for time or chan number
    But for the money it does all Ive asked of it

i see, i'd get over that
    is there any irish sites selling them new? can only find them on uk sites

i see, i'd get over that
    is there any irish sites selling them new? can only find them on uk sites
    Don't think so I got mine from WoS fast and cheap

Don't think so I got mine from WoS fast and cheap

yeah ive been looking there
    should i get them to put on the firmware or do it myself?
    also what is the best firmware?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭dubrov

There are loads of mid-range boxes around €100 that are very good these days.
    Here are a few to look at and they are all pretty similar.

Gigablue UHD Trip 4k
    Amiko Viper 4k
    ZGemma H7S
    Octagon SF8008

There are many more.
    They all have slightly different specs so it depends on what you need.

The last 2 seem to be the best supported. The Octagon stands out a little as it has Wifi and supports Netflix now. The Z7S has 2 Satellite tuners if that is important to you.

I prefer openATV. Get them to put it on for you and if you don't have a spare HDD yourself, get them to install one too. There is a setup wizard that will guide through each step to configure your unique settings, network etc when you get it. If you can setup a phone or laptop you can handle this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I just stick with boring old openvix for my needs,or atv for non supported boxes.

The Octagon looks nice

is there much differences between the images?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Combi Set Top Box
    Mixed EPG
    Multimedia Player

I have one, it's a cheap ( was something like €49 in a DID sale) and cheerful little box with good response times, a reasonably decent remote and it has lasted a good few years without showing any flaws. Can't remember a lot about it as it's only used now when the Internet has gone down.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the feedback, I decided in the end to go with the Amiko mini combo

The interface like most of these cheap boxes does look like something out of the 80s, however it does what I need it do including picking up Saorview & UK FTA in the one channel list and allows me to record daily, weekly or just the once via timer.

Essentially you get what you pay for.

h7s ordered with openvix :)

how long does it take to flash it if i decide to change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

h7s ordered with openvix :)

how long does it take to flash it if i decide to change?

Couple of minutes, max. Then you need to set it up following the wizard, takes maybe 10 minutes or so. I use Pure2 on my H7S, it's been rock-solid.

found front display settings on openvix blue skin , you can turn the clock off completely or dim it

cant do anything with the logo light though i dont think

Advertisement