Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Child interested in photography

• 26-01-2020 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭

Ok, hi, my child aged 11 is interested in photography so how can I encourage it.

Always had an interest in it, as I gave them vtech camera at 2, then a point n shoot but I'd like to get something technical enough to grow with them and keep them interested but that they could expand their knowledge, equipment and experiment with.

What would be a good starter camera that will progress and do for a number of years?

Also apart from letting kid loose with camera to take shots. Are there kids camera clubs or summer camps?

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/compact-and-bridge-cameras/kodak-pixpro-az401-bridge-camera-black-10159242-pdt.html

Something like this. Looks and feels like what they might imagine a ‘real’ camera to be. Plenty of settings to explore. If they lose interest you won’t have broken the bank, and it’ll always be a handy family camera.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,253 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

endacl wrote: »
    https://www.currys.ie/ieen/cameras-and-camcorders/digital-cameras/compact-and-bridge-cameras/kodak-pixpro-az401-bridge-camera-black-10159242-pdt.html

Something like this. Looks and feels like what they might imagine a ‘real’ camera to be. Plenty of settings to explore. If they lose interest you won’t have broken the bank, and it’ll always be a handy family camera.

I got this exact camera for my son (10) for Christmas. It's obviously not got the fastest shutter speed in the world but it's certainly helped to spark his interest a bit more.

Now whenever he get's money he's spending it on camera things, a new memory card, a tripod and a camera bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

When I became interested in digital, I went with a Fuji FinePix S7000. It was, at the time, an amazing bridge camera, and one of the first ones to allow taking full manual control over everything. (While still offering full auto)
    I don't know the current Fuji lineup, but would definitely look for a bridge camera where your kid could start with composition, and move up to a more technical approach over time.
    The most important thing you can do is probably too ask to see what photos are taken, and giving constructive commentary. (I don't want to say constructive criticism... I know you're talking about your kid.)
    If you're not "qualified" to give them suggestions on improvements, just say what you like, and don't freak out about stuff you don't. (Creative things don't need to be liked by everyone)
    There are photography meetups and such too, where your kid could walk around and compare notes & techniques etc with others similarly interested.
    I haven't seen any toxic competition in the ones I've been on, which is good.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

I started my son with a Nikon D3200, brought him out to a different location around the country every Sunday morning to do some landscape photography.

You can also join up with your local photography club which will help teach him a lot about photography like his camera settings, composition, light, etc.

He is at a great age to start, and by the time he is 16 he could be making a lot of money with his photography skills! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

I started my son with a Nikon D3200, ...
    You can also join up with your local photography club ...

Most camera clubs do not allow full membership for people under 18. GDPR and Garda vetting issues are usually the reason. A "casual" relationship where they "tag along" with a member is probably the best way to go!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Most camera clubs do not allow full membership for people under 18. GDPR and Garda vetting issues are usually the reason. A "casual" relationship where they "tag along" with a member is probably the best way to go!

Yeah, good point. Tagging along should be no bother either. There are also a lot of workshops that go on around the country i'm sure parents could take their kids to.

Advertisement