Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

12 year old not eating

• 14-11-2020 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi
    Looking for advice.
    Our 12 year old lab cross is not eating.
    He has been to the vet and we got antibiotics, which are now finished the vet said he has liver problems.
    According to the vet if we can get him to eat he might be ok.
    So far we have tried cooked chicken, pork, sausage,
    All chopped up or purried with veg gravy.
    He gets fresh water several times a day.
    He drinks very little and eats less.
    He still wags his tail when he sees us but he no longer greats us with a lick.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

pmrc wrote: »
    Hi
    Looking for advice.
    He has been to the vet and we got antibiotics, which are now finished the vet said he has liver problems.

Sorry to hear this and as a dog lover myself I feel your pain . Lack of appetite can be several things but with your dogs age and vet diagnosis he could be in pain or not feeling very well.. We had similar problems with our dog a few years back and she eventually started eating again after a few days so hopefully so will yours .. I think chicken and rice was what we got her to eat .. If I were you I’d phone vet and ask him what does he think . .Finally our dog was kept by vet for a few days at the time she wasn’t eating and was put on drip as she was very weak at the time .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Hi
    Looking for advice.

Hi OP

Sorry to read your post - has the vet carried out any blood tests?

This would give a clearer indication of possible liver issues?

Also an ultrasound (which is non invasive) would show any growths etc on the liver or other areas.. given your dogs age I would recommend this

Liver issues can cause nausea- the vet should provide anti sickness medication to help with this..

Try very bland food / easily digestible (no gravy etc)

Scrambled eggs
    Grilled white chicken
    Grilled white fish

Nothing too rich!

Break the meals down to 3/4 small meals each day ..

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

It might be in his head rather than anything physical. It's possible he associates eating with feeling sick. Break the routine completely, try putting his usual bowl out of sight for a bit. Feed him by hand, chatting to him and giving loads of attention to take the focus off the food. Could you bring him out for a wee and produce a morsel when he least expects it? Don't overdo it though, a few small mouthfuls and leave him wanting a bit more. Tiny handfuls throughout the day might be easier for him to manage until he gets his appetite back. Don't leave food in front of him, take it away if he's not interested. You're trying to trick him into thinking he's hungry. Keep it all very friendly and cheerful. It takes patience!
    My chap decided after a bout of pancreatitis that he wasn't going to eat anything that in any way resembled his usual dinners, which were luxury home-cooked meals he had been happily scoffing for a few years. He would only eat tinned dogfood for the rest of his days. He also would only drink fresh rainwater. Such notions.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pmrc

Thanks Everyone.
    He is back eating, he loves scrambled eggs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Thanks Everyone.
    He is back eating, he loves scrambled eggs.

Ahh great news x

• Advertisement
Advertisement