Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternatives to dental sticks

• 23-11-2020 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi all,

Would anyone have any suggestions for a healthy alternative to dental sticks for my dog please?
    When we have dinner she will go into her bed and gets a dental stick to chew on, I’d like to keep the routine but change to something less calorific. Suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

SuziXX wrote: »
    Hi all,

Would anyone have any suggestions for a healthy alternative to dental sticks for my dog please?
    When we have dinner she will go into her bed and gets a dental stick to chew on, I’d like to keep the routine but change to something less calorific. Suggestions appreciated, thanks in advance!

Raw full carrots! Great for teeth cleaning, keeping them occupied and healthy too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

cocker5 wrote: »
    Raw full carrots! Great for teeth cleaning, keeping them occupied and healthy too!

Good idea thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Ive never had a dog that would eat a carrot :o

I give strips of dried chicken which you can get in Maxizoo - very large bag for approx €20 - you can get duck strips also...

Nutriscience do a Plaque-off 'chew' which takes time to eat (very important!) and also has the seaweed plaque removing ingredient

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭catonafence

I would second the idea about the carrots. My girl loves one every evening.Takes a while to chew it so hopefully good for her teeth. It also helps keep her regular. Another chew that she loves are hunks of cucumber in the summer - very cooling!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Also look up kongs- stuff them with low fat cream cheese, or peanut butter (one with no palm oil) or bananas- freeze and serve will keep occupied for ages (also google lick / snuffle mats)

As above .. try cucumber, tender stem broccoli, string green beans ..

I also buy the following:

Dried trachea - very nutritious and a great chew - I buy from here ..

https://www.rirawhealthypettreats.com/store.php?dbi=i5B25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭zedhead

My guy will not eat a carrot either, though for some reason he likes to guard it. Won't chew it but if you try to take it away he will run away with it.

We give those chicken/beef chews - a few different brands do them. We were giving him rawhide sticks wrapped in raw chicken and beef when we first got him until I read about how bad rawhide is for them and now just get the dried meat.

The best thing we have tried is the yak cheese chew. He loves it and when it gets small you can microwave it and it turns into a second crunchy treat for him. But it last ages and he gets a really good chew out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭SuziXX

Thanks all, unfortunately she’s been spoilt and now we’re looking at having to restrict her diet which is hard on us as it is on her but has to be done. Will look into all suggestions, she will eat veg to a point but the plaque off chew, dried chicken and trachea (gross) sounds more like what will keep her attention.

Advertisement