Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast with Google TV

Options
  • 12-11-2020 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know whether the RTE app will work on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭jamesozzie

Evil_g wrote: »
    Does anyone know whether the RTE app will work on this?

Good question. Casting should work fine (as it did for previous Chromecasts). I'd love to know is the RTE app without having to use a phone have live channel streaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 emanresu123

Yes. I have it on it.

Works pretty good actually.

TG4 app is there too. Just wish Virgin Media would release an app for it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Just wish Virgin Media would release an app for it too.

Can you not sideload the APK via downloader program?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Fieldog wrote: »
    Can you not sideload the APK via downloader program?

You can but navigation around it is painful. Needs to be optimised for android tv os

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Yes. I have it on it.

Works pretty good actually.

TG4 app is there too.

Agreed. Apart from no live channels on the Rte app, credit where it's due, it is very good and been very stable for me so far, certainly as good (I actually prefer it) compared to the BBC iPlayer app. Same goes for TG4, that works very well too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

DopeTech wrote: »
    You can but navigation around it is painful. Needs to be optimised for android tv os

I installed it last night ( v1.0.3 ) on my non Google Android TV device and it seems to work perfectly with no problems navigating using the supplied remote.

btw it came from the Android TV app store and v1.0.3 is the latest atm...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

You can't watch the RTE live on the Google TV in the RTE app tho right?

You have to use your phone and Chromecast right?

Seems a strange way to do it. Like who'd have a Google TV and not a phone, they're not stopping anyone, just making it difficult!?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 emanresu123

Virgin Media Player is now available for Android TV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Thanks for that, I've installed it there and gave it a quick test. Seems to work well, will give Darklands a watch later on so.

No subtitles tho unfortunately, maybe coming in a future release?

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

Has anyone tried to install the BBC iPlayer on this? I have a VPN with an app on the chromecast but I can't seem to get the iPlayer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭SteM

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried to install the BBC iPlayer on this? I have a VPN with an app on the chromecast but I can't seem to get the iPlayer

Yeah, I tried sideloading it but it doesn't work properly. With a VPN it will load up but I can't navigate around it.

Yeah. Works nicely in fairness! :)

I have the iPlayer working perfectly. I used an APK first to install it -> bbc.iplayer.android_0.4.3-43_minAPI26(nodpi)_apkmirror.com

Then the PlayStore updated it automatically to the latest version. Works perfectly.... No VPN needed for it to update.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭DoubleJoe7

DoubleJoe7 wrote: »

That's the one! :cool:

It will update then to the latest version using PlayStore and future updates too....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭McSween

carbsy wrote: »
    That's the one! :cool:

It will update then to the latest version using PlayStore and future updates too....

Is Vpn required to watch the player though?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

McSween wrote: »
    Is Vpn required to watch the player though?

Yep.
    I've ITV hub on mine too. Works fine with VPN too.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    Yep.
    I've ITV hub on mine too. Works fine with VPN too.

Thanks. I have liberty shield for my mag tv channels. What vpn would you recommend for bbc iplayer? Also, have bbc iplayer side loaded on to fire stick. Need to find chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

McSween wrote: »
    Thanks. I have liberty shield for my mag tv channels. What vpn would you recommend for bbc iplayer? Also, have bbc iplayer side loaded on to fire stick. Need to find chromecast.

I use digibit vpn. It costs a couple of quid a month and I have it installed on a few devices. They have servers in the UK for streaming services and they're pretty reliable.
    A nice feature is that you can enable the vpn only for certain apps so it doesn't mess up apps expecting to be in Ireland.

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I use digibit vpn. It costs a couple of quid a month and I have it installed on a few devices. They have servers in the UK for streaming services and they're pretty reliable.
    A nice feature is that you can enable the vpn only for certain apps so it doesn't mess up apps expecting to be in Ireland.

I actually got it working on ios device (but cannot download app unless i change my setting) using liberty shield so i will try it on chromecast etc later. Great to finally have it. It asked did i have a tv licence. I thought the game was up then but i said i did.

• Advertisement
Advertisement