26-10-2020, 07:34   #1
heldel00

Memory full on Samsung S6

Apologies in advance for the ridiculous question (please keep in mind i went straight from a nokia to samsung 5yrs ago)

Reminders flashing up that memory is dangerously full, is there any easy way to rectify without having to go back and delete individual photos etc?
Advertisement
26-10-2020, 08:14   #2
Basil3

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldel00 View Post
Apologies in advance for the ridiculous question (please keep in mind i went straight from a nokia to samsung 5yrs ago)

Reminders flashing up that memory is dangerously full, is there any easy way to rectify without having to go back and delete individual photos etc?
There's a few ways you could do it.

If you go Settings > Device Maintenance, it will analyse your device. If you click on Fix Now, a bunch of unneeded stuff will be deleted from your device. You can click into the storage option instead of clicking on Fix Now to see exactly what will be deleted, then click on Clean Now.

Another option is to install Google Photos, back up all photos to the free unlimited storage option, then it will give you an option to clear up storage space by deleting all backed up photos from your device.
Thanks from:
26-10-2020, 08:16   #3
DopeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by heldel00 View Post

Check what's taking up the space.

Settings->Device Care->Storage->Advanced

If it's pictures taking up all the space check google photos is backing them up and in Google photos click your profile up the top right and choose Free up space.

Also check your downloads folder. If you never empty/delete things then it will have filled up with obsolete files you don't need anymore.
26-10-2020, 08:20   #4
del roy

Basil3
I wonder can you help with this, I have a samsung galaxy j3 6.

i bought a 64 sd card for extra memory but don't know how to transfer the apps to the sd card.

can you help.

thanks
26-10-2020, 08:22   #5
Tails142

I had this problem with a S6, no room for new apps etc. I think they just have small memory space compared to modern versions and maybe OS updates which take up more space than the standard install makes the problem worse.

New phone time is my opinion.

Or else try factory reset in addition to the steps above, but to be honest I dont think they will help as I'm sure you've already been through it.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
26-10-2020, 08:27   #6
Basil3

Quote:
Originally Posted by del roy View Post
Basil3
I wonder can you help with this, I have a samsung galaxy j3 6.

i bought a 64 sd card for extra memory but don't know how to transfer the apps to the sd card.

can you help.

thanks
I'm not 100% familiar with this model, but usually you can go Settings > Apps > Application Manager (or something similar), then click on an app and there should be a storage option where you can move to SD card. A lot of apps can't be moved, though.

DopeTech would probably be more help, I'd just have to Google it.
Thanks from:
26-10-2020, 08:31   #7
Basil3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tails142 View Post
I had this problem with a S6, no room for new apps etc. I think they just have small memory space compared to modern versions and maybe OS updates which take up more space than the standard install makes the problem worse.

New phone time is my opinion.

Or else try factory reset in addition to the steps above, but to be honest I dont think they will help as I'm sure you've already been through it.
I have an old S6 Edge+ with 32GB storage that I use for testing apps, and it's still usable as a phone with that amount of storage, although not ideal. Battery life is brutal, though.
26-10-2020, 08:32   #8
del roy

cheers lads
the move to sd card is not highlighted in the app manager.

26-10-2020, 08:33   #9
DopeTech

They removed that option in newer versions of Android as far as I know. From past experiences it never worked all that well.

If it's still an option on your phone you would need to go to settings -storage-format sd card as internal storage. Then either do the move to sd card option or uninstall and reinstall.

What capacity is the phone? 32gb, 64gb etc?
Advertisement
26-10-2020, 08:35   #10
Basil3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeTech View Post
They removed that option in newer versions of Android as far as I know. From past experiences it never worked all that well.

If it's still an option on your phone you would need to go to settings -storage-format sd card as internal storage. Then either do the move to sd card option or uninstall and reinstall.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't really recommend going the adoptable storage route, even if it is an option. Have had plenty of micro SD's fail over the years, it wouldn't be pretty.

I guess trying to get as much media to the SD card as possible is the best option.
26-10-2020, 08:36   #11
del roy

eh you are talking to an tech idiot here, don't know.
26-10-2020, 08:37   #12
robbie67

Did you try a cache cleaner you get them in the play store you might get some memory back ,or try to root your phone
26-10-2020, 08:38   #13
del roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbie67 View Post
Did you try a cache cleaner you get them in the play store you might get some memory back ,or try to root your phone

I am full, I will have to delete something to put that on my phone and I need everything on it atm
26-10-2020, 08:39   #14
DopeTech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basil3 View Post
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I wouldn't really recommend going the adoptable storage route, even if it is an option. Have had plenty of micro SD's fail over the years, it wouldn't be pretty.

I guess trying to get as much media to the SD card as possible is the best option.
Yeah it's fine for storing movies etc but really in 2020 everyone should have most stuff backed up to the cloud. If you backup use Gogle Photos & Google Drive then it also makes switching phones a hell of a lot easier.
26-10-2020, 08:40   #15
del roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeTech View Post

total space 8 g

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion