Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem accessing network shared disks in Window 8.1

Options
  • 17-09-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

I have a Nvidia shield on the home network with two USB drives attached. My laptop is running Windows 8.1

I can connect to the shield by running \\shield from the start menu which opens an explorer window showing the internal disk and both external disks. However when I click on the disks I get the following popup

526622.JPG

It is not an issue on the Shield as I have another older Windows 7 laptop from which I can access the drives with no issues. So there must be something on the Win 8 laptop causing the issue.

I have checked Google which mentioned an update which is not shown on my system and also advised to check file sharing is enabled, it is. The the credentials are stored, they are and I can connect to the shield, its just the disks that are the issue. I have to reboot to access the disks again.

Just wondering if anybody here could provide any pointers to what else I can check or what could be causing the problem.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,256 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

I searched for "the handle is invalid network share" and came back with this:
    Open Command Prompt as administrator and run the following command:
    reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system /v LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f
    Reboot the server and try again.

From here, and other sites too, seems like a not uncommon problem.

Advertisement