Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Fire TV Stick work in Ireland?

Options
  • 29-07-2016 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I bought from Amazon, but many video are strict saying area limit.
    How to resolve it?

Looked like there are very limited video could be watched in Ireland...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭outinthefields

Mine works fine, use it every day no probs

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pyro66

I got a Fire TV stick as a Christmas present from one of my kids. I live in Dublin so signed up for an Amazon Prime free trial using my family home address in Newry, but found that most film and tv content were geo ip blocked when I used the stick in Dublin. One of my kids tried connecting through a VPN to the UK (so giving a UK IP address), but the system recognized this and I couldn't use it. Amazon Tech Support confirmed by e-mail that (1) Amazon Prime isn't available in RoI, and that (2) the Fire TV stick isn't for sale in RoI and isn't intended to work correctly here - but "we are working hard to update the technology and I can say that it should happen very soon" (8 Jan 2017). I'm not certain what "very soon" means though. Anyway, I'm not impressed.

So I cancelled my Prime trial and took out a PrimeVideo subscription one instead, though this isn't much use as I can only access this via a laptop or phone - which is a pain in the arse.

Has anybody any ideas about how to use the Fire TV stick to access Prime Video? Its apps don't include a web browser. If I could find a secure / untampered APK for Firefox or Opera, that might work. Any ideas?

Has anybody heard anything more definite about when the Fire TV stick will work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭huddlejonny

Pyro66 wrote: »
    I got a Fire TV stick as a Christmas present from one of my kids. I live in Dublin so signed up for an Amazon Prime free trial using my family home address in Newry, but found that most film and tv content were geo ip blocked when I used the stick in Dublin. One of my kids tried connecting through a VPN to the UK (so giving a UK IP address), but the system recognized this and I couldn't use it. Amazon Tech Support confirmed by e-mail that (1) Amazon Prime isn't available in RoI, and that (2) the Fire TV stick isn't for sale in RoI and isn't intended to work correctly here - but "we are working hard to update the technology and I can say that it should happen very soon" (8 Jan 2017). I'm not certain what "very soon" means though. Anyway, I'm not impressed.

So I cancelled my Prime trial and took out a PrimeVideo subscription one instead, though this isn't much use as I can only access this via a laptop or phone - which is a pain in the arse.

Has anybody any ideas about how to use the Fire TV stick to access Prime Video? Its apps don't include a web browser. If I could find a secure / untampered APK for Firefox or Opera, that might work. Any ideas?

Has anybody heard anything more definite about when the Fire TV stick will work here?

Bump... having same issue..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Hi,
    Amazon Tech Support confirmed by e-mail that (1) Amazon Prime isn't available in RoI, and that (2) the Fire TV stick isn't for sale in RoI and isn't intended to work correctly here

It looks as though not much has changed - the reality is if a piece of tech and the associated services are not intended for this market then its use can be pretty limited - there are usually licensing issues associated with particular markets that prevent/restrict what can be offered in different countries.

/Mod hat on....

Mod Comment

All,

Please take note of the stickey at the top of all the Home Entertainment forums and do not stray into the areas of discussing methods of obtaining services which are not legitimately available her or obtaining those service without paying for them.

Cheers,

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

Juts signed up for prime and still can't watch anything on my Fire TV stick even thought I can watch shows like Goliath on my PC.

Pain in the hoop

• Advertisement
Advertisement