Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming News

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Venom wrote: »
    There's still the likes of Smyths, Argos and some of the supermarkets that will sell physical discs and hardware.

Which like music will be the "top 20" and whatever of last months top 20 that didnt sell.

I understand it just find it odd that a hobby lived and died so quickly in regards to stores that catered only to that.

I used to work on the distribution of the original Xbox and could see this coming simply because every game sold in a store for €60 MSFT got €28 now they get €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Venom wrote: »
    There's still the likes of Smyths, Argos and some of the supermarkets that will sell physical discs and hardware.

I think he means games stores rather than anywhere that will physically sell games. Smyths do a great job of stocking variety but Argos lack personality (despite great pricing) and supermarkets are just really selling either muck or the latest big games.

Its funny how much people remember fondly the days of GAME but really towards the end they were in a somewhat similar spot of drawing ire for the pricing (but maybe not their practices). In their prime, they were awesome though. Hell I miss the Electronic Boutique days :)

I think one way or another, it's a sad day that the last true game shop (irrespective of its dilution into 'loot') is so much so on the rocks. In ten years, the idea of shops dedicated to gaming will be long gone :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What is wrong with Nintendo's marketing arm? The videos just get more and more repulsive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Thargor wrote: »
    What is wrong with Nintendo's marketing arm? The videos just get more and more repulsive.

someone on twitter compared the dude in that video to Christian Bales character in American Psycho, hes not far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

It’s hard to work out what GameStop are at sometimes. Routinely being €10 more expensive than everywhere else for games but then from time to time have amazing hard-ware trade-in deals.

The latest one – get €300 trade-in value for an old Switch console against the newer revised edition means that everyone is basically paying €30 for a new, improved console. They’re going to be stuck with a whole heap of older consoles now that they’ve essentially paid €300 for. Hard to see the profit in that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

someone on twitter compared the dude in that video to Christian Bales character in American Psycho, hes not far wrong.

I was thinking Dennis Reynolds from Always Sunny, when he's being particularly psychotic...

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Star Lord wrote: »
    I was thinking Dennis Reynolds from Always Sunny, when he's being particularly psychotic...

He appears to have moved on from Demonstrating Value to Engage Physically in that vid.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

There is a Contra rogue corps demo on the Playstation store.

Its a hell of alot better than the trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,113 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He appears to have moved on from Demonstrating Value to Engage Physically in that vid.

Obviously customers are in no danger if they refuse to buy the game but that's not going to happen......because of the implication.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Atelier Dusk trilogy announced for PS4, PC and Switch:

https://gematsu.com/2019/09/atelier-dusk-trilogy-deluxe-pack-announced-for-ps4-switch-and-pc

By far and away my favourite JRPGs of last gen.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Rockstar Games are starting their own launcher now. You can get GTA: San Andreas for free, but it's pretty clearly a play to get more of the Red Dead Redemption 2 cash.

Disappointing.

See here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Great news if it means more people avoid Red Dead Redemption 2!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,249 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, very underwhelming. Had to slog my way through the second half of it, it was the first game I'd paid full price for in years, sure as hell wasn't going to not get my monies worth from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Why, because you don't like it?

I've a feeling the only reason for the launcher IS RDR2 PC version, only available through the R* app.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CatInABox wrote: »
    Yes, very underwhelming. Had to slog my way through the second half of it, it was the first game I'd paid full price for in years, sure as hell wasn't going to not get my monies worth from it.

You could have also just played a good game :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I did my usual and got to around 20% and lost interest. Amazingly well put together game with some amazing mechanics. But I just didn't click with it's character/storyline to invest such a huge chunk of time. But what killed it was Days Gone came out and that had amazing story and well written characters, I got locked in for 70 hours. I couldn't go back to Red Dead after it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

RDR2 was a 6/10 game in a 10/10 game world. They went for style over substance. I tried the multiplayer, after wrestling with how to make a party and have voice comms with my friend for almost 40 minutes (I had to Google it in the end because PlayStation has such an awful interface), it was just gank after gank by no-life's who had already put 1000 hours into the online by the time we got around to trying it, I said frak that and haven't turned the game on since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

If you stick with it Arthur is easily one of the best game characters ever. His story in the last act is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Shiminay wrote: »
    RDR2 was a 6/10 game in a 10/10 game world. They went for style over substance. I tried the multiplayer, after wrestling with how to make a party and have voice comms with my friend for almost 40 minutes (I had to Google it in the end because PlayStation has such an awful interface), it was just gank after gank by no-life's who had already put 1000 hours into the online by the time we got around to trying it, I said frak that and haven't turned the game on since.

Is that not the same as every other online game since it became a thing??? :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

If you stick with it Arthur is easily one of the best game characters ever. His story in the last act is incredible.

I finished the game about 2 months ago, and I still find myself thinking about it every now and again. I would agree that as a protagonist, hes definitely the finest that Rockstar have ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,269 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I finished the game about 2 months ago, and I still find myself thinking about it every now and again. I would agree that as a protagonist, hes definitely the finest that Rockstar have ever done.

Have to agree, you'd play the game just to find out more about him.

Havent had a rockstar character like that since Tommy Vercetti in Vice City

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Started playing RDO again, they've added classes &x businesses.

They also have a passive mode which has some limitation so it can't be abused, but the biggest change is the map. Players only show up on your map about the same distance as npcs, it a player is hostile or has a bounty they show up further away.

Been riding along in a posse and then suddenly at a cross roads ran into another group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

R* Online games are some of the worst around for gimping things to push you toward MT's. For that reason i doubt ill ever play one again.

RDR2 was boring imo,the main mechanic ie pew pew is terribly implemented. 30fps jank fest that feels like your moving your gun through treacle. Theres a reason the implement that kinda snap aiming.

Story didnt grab me either,maybe i was too put off by everything else to bother with it but hey,lifes too short if your not enjoying it so it got dropped.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Is that not the same as every other online game since it became a thing??? :confused::confused::confused:
    It was never as bad in GTA V for example. RDR limits the types of guns you can have behind levels so you're always outgunned by people with more time invested in the game. In GTA at least you can grab a car and be miles away by the time someone respawns, but that isn't possible in the wide open spaces and/or with horses.

Rockstar's writing isn't as good as people give them credit for and even if RDR2 had a good story they are making a game first, story second and if it's not fun then they've failed at making a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Newbs being beaten by better players is now toxic behaviour :)

Scrubs gonna scrub

• Registered Users Posts: 12,497 ✭✭✭✭Varik

GTA online is far worse for getting attacked.

Most of the weapons in RD don't differ too much, a repeater isn't a mile away from another repeater. You can see low reputation players from further away than they can see you, and even to neutral rep players the range before they pop up on the map is very close. Stealth is actually usable, ability can overcome numbers, and unlike GTA the other guy may have a slightly better horse not a AC130 gun ship or a delorean with a death ray where he can zoom from one side of the map to the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

490932.jpg

🤪

Respectfully guys, I've been playing online multiplayer games for 23 years, I know what to expect :) There's a lot the developers can do to mitigate the skill-gap and for the most part, they do it well, but in RDR 2 I just found it particularly bad. I've got several hundred hours in GTA V Online, I wasn't exactly unprepared for what might happen, I just found it an unenjoyable experience.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement