Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I like him already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Will Kozak start at the weekend does anyone reckon? Tempted to stick a fiver on him anytime goal for the craic but all depoends if he'll even get on....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Will Kozak start at the weekend does anyone reckon? Tempted to stick a fiver on him anytime goal for the craic but all depoends if he'll even get on....

Don't think he will start, may get on if comfortable or the opposite, chasing the game.

Last two weeks have ground in like mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Last two weeks have ground in like mass.

Just praying the local will show the game tomorrow now, noticed Arsenal and City are on at 3 on Al Jazerra as well so hoping I can get it on at leat one tv.....

Just praying the local will show the game tomorrow now, noticed Arsenal and City are on at 3 on Al Jazerra as well so hoping I can get it on at leat one tv.....

Actually some very nice matches tomorrow, kicking off with Man U v Palace in the early game, then Villa in the 4 o'clock kickoff, then Everton v Chelsea later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Actually some very nice matches tomorrow, kicking off with Man U v Palace in the early game, then Villa in the 4 o'clock kickoff, then Everton v Chelsea later on.

I was going to correct you to say we're at 3, then I thought sure we only start playing in the second half anyway, so you're probably right:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Grealish gone on loan to Notts County.

• Advertisement

COYVB wrote: »
    I was going to correct you to say we're at 3, then I thought sure we only start playing in the second half anyway, so you're probably right:D

That or I'm an hour ahead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

That or I'm an hour ahead!

This here. And will be just off a flight so no match for me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Just put 2 bets on. 4-3 @ 175/1 and 5-3 @ 225/1 to Villa. Just think both teams are so rotren at the back that its going to be a big score.

LeBash wrote: »
    Just put 2 bets on. 4-3 @ 175/1 and 5-3 @ 225/1 to Villa. Just think both teams are so rotren at the back that its going to be a big score.

2 clean sheets out of 3 for Newcastle, don't think their main problems are defensively.

#AVFC Guzan, Lowton, Vlaar, Okore, Luna, El Ahmadi, Westwood, Agbonlahor, Delph, Benteke, Weimann

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Hopefully it'll be a good game lads, two attacking line-ups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Feck. 1-0 to Newcastle.

We've started very poorly.

Okore taken a knock.

Delph and his stupid bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Luna is awful.

What a a miss Gabby. arrgghhh

• Advertisement

That's 3 chances we should have scored from so far this half

shoutman wrote: »
    Luna is awful.

He's having a bad game today, but he's not awful

4-2-4

And Benteke scores a minute later

woop woop.

Imagine what'll happen when Benteke starts playing well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

Hopefully they push on and get a winner now, important to pick up 3 points against the likes of Newcastle.

****e, Ben Arfa completely out of control, can't be contained.

Really need to calm down and stop the long balls

Poor performance and disappointing result.

We have nobody of the class of Ben Arfa, he was the difference.

Poor result we just panicked and couldn't control the game. That's not the first time lamberts thrown on 4 strikers and it hasn't worked.

• Advertisement

Disappointing. We had some really good chances. And at times we just seemed devoid of ideas. We started second half well when we added width and support but it petered out after Newcastle got their second.
    Fair result.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Really need an attacking mid that can play through the strikers. Possession was in our favour but we have no imagination / creativity in the final third.

What's with Benteke also, he's not contributing to general play in comparison to last year.

Newcastle deserved that.

I think 3 points from the opening 3 games is pretty much what we all expected, albeit with todays game providing the win. As things stand, we've had 3 good performances and one very poor one, but we could well have had 8-10 points had we been taking our chances better. It's early days yet though, and these things take time

What's with Benteke also, he's not contributing to general play in comparison to last year

He's been shocking this season so far in terms of his contribution to play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

What a **** 3 weeks for Villa and Ireland fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,552 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lowton's defending for the first goal. My god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It was very poor today and as decent as the other performances were, in each game the lack of someone who can create has reared its head at times. Villa have nobody who can make something happen, the work hard and hope Benteke scores system is all well and good but its very frustrating and will lead to quite a few more days like today.

Westwood and Delph were just.....there today, neither contributed much. Lowton was awful for the first goal, I have never and still don't rate him as a defender. Hope Okore's injury isnt too bad, that'd be a blow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Watched the highlights there. Was a terrible performance.
    It just seemed lazy from the lads. Back peddling on Ben Arfa rather than pressure.
    Hope we improve very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Ronan Raver77

El Hamidi cause of the goal too lightweight and expected the free..We really needed that win lads..Chatting to a manu fan earlier he reckons they will jump in for Benteke in january!! In fairness he has proven his worth again so im sure the top 6 will be after him come january..Still pissed at the result hopefully we can beat Norwich

• Advertisement

chatting to a manu fan earlier he reckons they will jump in for Benteke in january!!

prices are inflated in january, so i wouldnt even begin to imagine what kind of fee wed want to do business with anyone for benteke before the summer. 45m? 50m?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

El Hamidi cause of the goal too lightweight and expected the free..We really needed that win lads..Chatting to a manu fan earlier he reckons they will jump in for Benteke in january!! In fairness he has proven his worth again so im sure the top 6 will be after him come january..Still pissed at the result hopefully we can beat Norwich

Dont chat to Man U fans would be my advice.

Does he write for the mirror or something ?

Just to get a tiny bit Guardian for a moment, am I the only one a little bit uncomfortable labelling Benteke, "beast", or "the beast", or anything of that nature?

Another example I can think of is Tendai Mtawarira, a black South African rugby player. Every time he gets the ball, the crowd chant, "beeeeast".

I've heard a few people also say it about Okore, that if he gets to grips with the league he could soon become "a beast".

I dunno. There's just something not quite right with a group of largely white people, in an area of strong racial tension (South Africa, working class Britain) applying the word "beast" to what appears to be exclusively black players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Okore injury could be six months. Yikes.

Saab Ed wrote: »

:(

Just to get a tiny bit Guardian for a moment, am I the only one a little bit uncomfortable labelling Benteke, "beast", or "the beast", or anything of that nature?

Another example I can think of is Tendai Mtawarira, a black South African rugby player. Every time he gets the ball, the crowd chant, "beeeeast".

I've heard a few people also say it about Okore, that if he gets to grips with the league he could soon become "a beast".

I dunno. There's just something not quite right with a group of largely white people, in an area of strong racial tension (South Africa, working class Britain) applying the word "beast" to what appears to be exclusively black players.

If I could I'd give you a slap!

• Advertisement

Faaaaook

You have a point tbh.

Very much speculation at this stage.

Complete nonsense. It is very much a term of enderement.

Mtawarira is called the beast because of two things, 1) his second name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and 2) He's a freak of nature with unnatural strength. Exhibit A - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d1nCe9iZ2u0

I often hear people refer to Cian Healy as a beast too, but he already has a nickname.

I think to claim there is some racist undertones is unfair. It just so happens that there are a disproportionate amount of hugely strong and athletic african men, I seriously doubt people are suggesting they have the intellect of wild animals also.

shoutman wrote: »
    Complete nonsense. It is very much a term of enderement.

Mtawarira is called the beast because of two things, 1) his second name doesn't exactly roll off the tongue and 2) He's a freak of nature with unnatural strength. Exhibit A - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=d1nCe9iZ2u0

I often hear people refer to Cian Healy as a beast too, but he already has a nickname.

I think to claim there is some racist undertones is unfair. It just so happens that there are a disproportionate amount of hugely strong and athletic african men, I seriously doubt people are suggesting they have the intellect of wild animals also.

I take your word that you've heard Healy being referred to as a beast, but would it be more descriptive rather than categorising? I.e., people saying he is a beast, rather than calling him beast, or the beast. I think there's subtle but very important difference.

Of all the units that exist in sport, the nickname "beast" seems to be reserved for black people. That's just my impression, anyway.

I'm certainly not comfortable using it, what with the connotations associated with the word. Particularly when you look at South Africa, there's something very off-putting about a crowd of largely white middleclass spectators all roaring "BEAST" when one of the few black players get the ball. I'd hate for something similar to be subconsciously underscoring the word's usage for Benteke.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement