Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 NEW WARNING FROM MODS

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

All results yesterday were nice for Everton. Now to win today would cap a good weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

It's the inevitability that's most annoying.

We've conceded first in our last four games now, against four teams we should be beating easily: Southampton, Leeds, Wigan, QPR. Two points from the last two games is poor, and what's even worse is we've been pretty lucky to even get that.

On the bright side, we're a point further ahead of 5th after the weekend, and only 3 of our 8 league games have been at home. Our series of games against weak opposition continues next weekend, this time with home advantage we'll hopefully get 3 points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

We haven't played well since the Southampton game. If we're missing Felli and Peanuts for the derby we'll have a real problem holding on to the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Columbia wrote: »
    It's the inevitability that's most annoying.

We've conceded first in our last four games now, against four teams we should be beating easily: Southampton, Leeds, Wigan, QPR. Two points from the last two games is poor, and what's even worse is we've been pretty lucky to even get that.

On the bright side, we're a point further ahead of 5th after the weekend, and only 3 of our 8 league games have been at home. Our series of games against weak opposition continues next weekend, this time with home advantage we'll hopefully get 3 points.

Yeah both early goals in last two games were counters from our corner. Hoilett and Kone just ran at our defence, panic ensued. Jelavic never got a kick all game yesterday.

The formation was a bit perplexing. Our greastest asset is the play between Baines and Pienaar down the left yet he played Pienaar inside and Miralles out left for most of the first half. Shoud've played Heitinga in the midfield with Osman and Neville cause they struggled with Diakate's pace and power. Big Vic seemed bit lost out right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

So the derby ends 2-2. Another 2 points dropped in yet another game Everton should have won.

All the contraversy at the end is nonsense. Sure, Suarez wasn't offside but it wasn't a free kick in the first place (the one they got for their second goal might not have been either), Suarez shouldn't have still been on the pitch anyway, and as can be clearly seen in the attachment, Jagielka was clearly held down for the assist for that 'goal'. Really....all the things Sky and MOTD won't show anyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

Hopefully the injury to Mirallas is nothing serious. I think we have a real chance of top 4 this year if we keep him fit, along with Pienaar and get Gibbo back in that midfield. On another note though, Jelavic has been well below par for the last two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,064 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Hard to know what to make of the game today. At 2 down i would have been delighted with a draw but once we got back on terms we didnt create much. Mirallas was a big loss. Gueye was terrible when he came on. Naismith was much improved today.

Agree that Jelavic has gone a bit quiet but so has Pienaar in the last few games. Get Gibson back fit and Pienaar and Mirallas back on the wings and we should kick on again. Delighted to see a decision go our way in the derby but Coates was all over Jags for the disallowed goal

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Mirallas has had some good performances for us this season. Unfortunately, it looks like Suarez broke his metatarsal yesterday.

Mirallas.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Lumbo wrote: »
    Mirallas has had some good performances for us this season. Unfortunately, it looks like Suarez broke his metatarsal yesterday.

Mirallas.gif
    I thought he got injured himself going past the fullback?

amiable wrote: »
    I thought he got injured himself going past the fullback?

It was as a result of the Suarez challenge. I think he only figured he was injured after he turned Wisdom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Mirallas ..... metatarsal.

Mirallas.gif

Well **** that anyway!
    :(

God damn if he's out for a couple of months with that, right when he was clicking beautifully.

Gibson better be back soon, we can't defend without him. Wasn't the original prognosis 4-5 weeks out? That was 8 weeks ago.

God damn if he's out for a couple of months with that, right when he was clicking beautifully.

Gibson better be back soon, we can't defend without him. Wasn't the original prognosis 4-5 weeks out? That was 8 weeks ago.

Gibson is very close to coming back. Probably next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Mirallas.gif

That's a shame, really enjoyed watching him so far this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

I'm surprised more hasn't been made about that tackle. I think there was as much intent to do damage in the Mirallas one as there was in the Distin one. Nasty stuff from Suarez, but not surprising.

carlop wrote: »
    I'm surprised more hasn't been made about that tackle. I think there was as much intent to do damage in the Mirallas one as there was in the Distin one. Nasty stuff from Suarez, but not surprising.

I thought it looked accidental tbh.

If it was intentional it'll surely be looked at retrospectively.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I thought it looked accidental tbh.

If it was intentional it'll surely be looked at retrospectively.

Doesn't look accidental, look at where the ball moves from and where Suarez foot lands, there's a big difference. I was wondering what he was doing back there as well.

We can just add it to the list of decisions (for both sides) that the ref got wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Not sure there's intention there. The initial contact is shin to shin after Suarez misses his sweep at the ball. The latter's foot then comes down onto Mirallas.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Not sure there's intention there. The initial contact is shin to shin after Suarez misses his sweep at the ball. The latter's foot then comes down onto Mirallas.

Nonsense. Why does Suarez turn his foot perpindicular to the direction he is running....who does that?

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Nonsense. Why does Suarez turn his foot perpindicular to the direction he is running....who does that?

Read Neil3030's post again and watch the video clip and also remember that isn't normal speed.It's shin to shin first contact first.

You are implying that he had the time(fraction of a second) to think to stamp on the Everton's players foot after he made contact with his shin?

When you think about it logically and study the evidence your theory falls down.

A player will do that trying to kick a ball with the inside of their foot.

A player will do that trying to kick a ball with the inside of their foot.

He even shortens his stride to land right on Mirallas' foot!

Suprised this article hasn't got a mention here yet. Longer and shorter versions of it are everywhere....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2225047/Steven-Gerrard-slams-Evertons-tactics.html

Gerrard Says!

"There was only one team who came into the derby trying to play football"

yet the stats say Everton completed 100 more passes than Liverpool and delivered twice as many crosses, and had 59% possession!

"Every time they get the ball at their goalkeeper, it comes in long".

Yet the stats say Howard recorded a 59% pass completion rate, while Jones was just 38% – and Howard actually made more open play passes than Jones). They also say Liverpool hit 26 long balls!

Gerrard also said "but you don’t expect your captain to dive like that.”

I think someone needs to remind Gerrard that he is also Liverpool's captain and show him this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

And here's his own booking for diving. Probably not the only one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1jvUjuzKn8

You know you've won an argument when someone posts a Daily Mail article!

He even shortens his stride to land right on Mirallas' foot!

I think his stride was shortened by his shin colliding head on with Mirallas' shin, tbh!

You know you've won an argument when someone posts a Daily Mail article!

The Daily Mail article isn't anything to do with the stamp on Mirallas!

But Gerrard's hypricosy is everywhere today!

I think his stride was shortened by his shin colliding head on with Mirallas' shin, tbh!

So the collision occured before he shortened his stride?

Get real!!

I suppose this was accidental too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR87sm9vc5k

So the collision occured before he shortened his stride?

Get real!!

I suppose this was accidental too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR87sm9vc5k

Well I don't know if you've ever had your shin smack head on into the standing leg of another player, but you basically have two choices:

1. Shorten your stride
    2. Break your leg in half.

There is absolutely no question that the collision of shins is what caused him to apparently shorten his stride.

Haha, Liverpool fans will defend literally anything Suarez does, it's mental.

Article about the passing stats from Sunday, I got that sense after the game but assumed the statistics would be fairly level over 90 minutes.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/everton-fc/everton-fc-news/2012/10/30/statistics-show-david-moyes-everton-fc-not-brendan-rodgers-liverpool-fc-are-the-real-mersey-pass-masters-100252-32127246/
    NEITHER Liverpool FC or Everton FC claimed the ‘bragging rights’ at Goodison Park on Sunday.

But that didn’t stop both sides from trying to claim the tactical high ground.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers claimed that Everton were a long ball team, while Steven Gerrard suggested “only one team came to play football and win the game.”

Everton boss David Moyes, however, was disappointed that his team didn’t go on to win the game, while goalscorer Steven Naismith pointed out that Everton were the only team pressing for a winner while Liverpool relied on counter-attacks.

But what do the stats say?

Did Everton try to punt their way to victory, or were Liverpool lucky to hang on?

The impressively analytical English Premier League Index covered every pass, punt and tackle of Sunday’s 219th Merseyside derby.

And their stats showed that while Brendan Rodgers is trying to construct a Liverpool team which dominates possession and passes teams into submission, they had to settle for second best at Goodison Park on Sunday.

Everton recorded significantly better passing stats than their visitors, attempting 478 passes to their neighbours’ 357, and making over a hundred accurate passes more than the Reds (359 to 257).

Everton made twice as many crosses into the box, created more chances and forced their opponents into more tackles.

And while Liverpool also made almost three times as many backpasses as Everton, this probably highlights Brendan Rodgers’ desire for his side to build from the back, passing the ball across the backline rather than asking Brad Jones to kick the ball from his hands (although Tim Howard recorded a 59% pass completion rate, while Jones was just 38 per cent – and Howard actually made more open play passes than his rival).

The difference in the sides’ respective attacking styles was highlighted in the stats.

Only 39% of Everton’s passes were forward, with 26% passed to the left – trying to utilise the strengths of Leighton Baines – and 24% to the right.

It proved a successful tactic in terms of creating crossing opportunities, with Everton firing 34 crosses compared to just 17 from the Reds.

Some 32% of Everton’s crosses were accurate – including one from Marouane Fellaini which found Steven Naismith for the equaliser – while Liverpool’s crossing accuracy was a disappointing 11%.

But getting the ball wide wasn’t Everton’s solitary tactic.

The Blues played 40 long passes throughout the afternoon, presumably attempting to utilise the aerial strengths of Marouane Fellaini, while Liverpool hit 26, more so in the second half as they defended deeper and tried to use Sterling and Suarez’s pace on the counter. But while Everton attempted more long passes, their attacking third stats were also revealing.

Everton successfully completed 100 of 154 attempted passes in Liverpool’s final third, with Liverpool completing 63 of their 103 attempted passes in Everton’s final third.

That suggests if Everton did try to get the ball into Liverpool’s final third early, it often stuck and allowed them to build further attacking moves in that area.

Of course the only statistic which mattered in the end was the final score, which read Everton two goals Liverpool two goals.

Until the next time.

And for that we’ve got to wait until May 4.

Mirallas injury not that serious according to initial tests, probably out for Fulham but should be back soon enough.

(Tomorrow's top story: Swelling reduces to reveal season-ending injury)

• Advertisement

Haha, Liverpool fans will defend literally anything Suarez does, it's mental.

I know! Did you ever see anything like this "collision of shins" nonsense.

I'm waiting for the Distin/Suarez incident to be called a collision of achilles and shin next!

Interesting theory about blindly defending Suarez, except for the fact that I'm a Villa fan who finds him to be quite distasteful as a human being. I also have no anti-Everton agenda, as I greatly admire the club as one of the classiest in football (fans included).

Now when all the conspiratorial straw men are put to bed, could people please look at the tackle and offer something a little more substantial to the debate?

For instance, watch Mirallas' left leg (standing leg) as Suarez misses his sweep for the ball. Focus your vision on it. After a few repetitions you will see that it judders under the force of the clashing shins prior to Suarez' foot coming down. This clearly demonstrates that the clash of shins precipitated the feet colliding.

Just because he's not the kind of person I'd welcome into my home with open arms, doesn't mean he can't be innocent of the occasional accusation. And in this specific case, I think he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I haven't took a word Gerrard said seriously since he said Joe Cole was better than Messi.

Think Stevie Me is just trying to deflect attention from his run 50 yards and slide on his knees celebration for the 3rd goal. And then having a pop at Neville and Moyes over diving. Here you go Stevie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Think Stevie Me is just trying to deflect attention from his run 50 yards and slide on his knees celebration for the 3rd goal. And then having a pop at Neville and Moyes over diving. Here you go Stevie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVb2gbMtN3I

Sure Moyes spent the whole week moaning about Suarez ffs. It was great though, Suarez played brilliantly. Genius stuff from Davie.

Then Neville dives :D

Couldn't make it up.

Sure Moyes spent the whole week moaning about Suarez ffs. It was great though, Suarez played brilliantly. Genius stuff from Davie.

Then Neville dives :D

Couldn't make it up.

Yep only tried to take out 2 Everton players. Not bad for him. Good to see our 35 year old right back playing out of position showing up 15m Joe Xavi Allen with more passes and a better pass completion rate. Ah if Stevie me is moaning about us it can only mean he's worried about us finishing above him again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Yep only tried to take out 2 Everton players. Not bad for him. Good to see our 35 year old right back playing out of position showing up 15m Joe Xavi Allen with more passes and a better pass completion rate. Ah if Stevie me is moaning about us it can only mean he's worried about us finishing above him again

The only person who showed up Joe Allen was Fellaini, by constantly booting him around the pitch with barely even a free kick awarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I haven't took a word Gerrard said seriously since he said Joe Cole was better than Messi.

That was classic ;) Thanks for the reminder.

Also, Phil Neville. What a player.

Melion wrote: »
    The only person who showed up Joe Allen was Fellaini, by constantly booting him around the pitch with barely even a free kick awarded.

The 2 worse tackles in the match were made by Suarez. The second one on Distin was shocking and no one can defend it. Neville dived and admitted it after the match. How many times has Suarez and Gerrard dived but never admitted it

• Advertisement

The Suarez tackle was accidental. Watch it without the blue tinted glasses and you'll see it couldn't be helped.

What trophy do you get for that then?

Moral victories :cool:

The Suarez tackle was accidental. Watch it without the blue tinted glasses and you'll see it couldn't be helped.

Do you honestly believe that tackle on Distin was accidental?? I might believe it if the tackle was made by a normal player but not by someone with Suarez's history

What trophy do you get for that then?

Moral victories :cool:

And what trophy will Stevie me get for comparing us to Stoke??

Do you honestly believe that tackle on Distin was accidental?? I might believe it if the tackle was made by a normal player but not by someone with Suarez's history

http://www.evertonarentwe.com/Mirallas.gif

Watch it slowly, their shins collide first making causing Suarez's foot to go down hard on his foot. No way was it intentional.

http://www.evertonarentwe.com/Mirallas.gif

Watch it slowly, their shins collide first making causing Suarez's foot to go down hard on his foot. No way was it intentional.

Thats Mirallas. I was talking about the Distin tackle. You know the one where he rakes his studs down his calf and achilles

• Advertisement

Thats Mirallas. I was talking about the Distin tackle. You know the one where he rakes his studs down his calf and achilles

That looked a poor tackle alright, not sure that was intentional either though.

Remember that Everton have one of the filthiest players in the league in Fellani.

That looked a poor tackle alright, not sure that was intentional either though.

Remember that Everton have one of the filthiest players in the league in Fellani.

Deflecting blame :rolleyes:

Explain how it happened so.

iHvvo5bLLinZE.gif

Maybe a gust of wind caught Suarez leg.

Clearly Distin left his achilles in there in an attempt to trip Suarez up. We were lucky not to be down to 10 men!

Fellaini "one of the filthiest players in the Premier League", meanwhile 2 Liverpool players are in the top 5 worst disciplinary records this season :rolleyes: The referees' fault I'm assuming?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/suenderkartei/wettbewerb_GB1.html

Last season Fellaini picked up 6 yellows in 34 games, the 75th highest total in the Premier League. Joe "Xavi" Allen committed more fouls than Fellaini on Sunday.

Time to cut the bull lads, you've been uncovered.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Clearly Distin left his achilles in there in an attempt to trip Suarez up. We were lucky not to be down to 10 men!

Fellaini "one of the filthiest players in the Premier League", meanwhile 2 Liverpool players are in the top 5 worst disciplinary records this season :rolleyes: The referees' fault I'm assuming?

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/premier-league/suenderkartei/wettbewerb_GB1.html

Last season Fellaini picked up 6 yellows in 34 games, the 75th highest total in the Premier League. Joe "Xavi" Allen committed more fouls than Fellaini on Sunday.

Time to cut the bull lads, you've been uncovered.

Is that the same Fellaini who was given a free kick for kicking Allen in the stomach? Or was given a free for pulling Dan Agger back by the shoulder?

Melion wrote: »

Is that the same Fellaini who was given a free kick for kicking Allen in the stomach? Or was given a free for pulling Dan Agger back by the shoulder?

Should have been a yellow card for the kick on Allen. Another decision the ref got wrong. Dont recall the Agger incident but it doesn't sound like the crime of the century.

Do you want to keep deflecting blame on the Suarez tackle? Sales of tinfoil hats are hitting record levels this week.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement