Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everton Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018 NEW WARNING FROM MODS

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭BINKY NIPPER

Everton fans can't be happy with management in selling Pienaar for £3m last year and buying him back for £4.5m a year later thus ensuing a £1.5m loss. No doubt he'll do well for Everton, he always does.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Everton fans can't be happy with management in selling Pienaar for £3m last year and buying him back for £4.5m a year later thus ensuing a £1.5m loss. No doubt he'll do well for Everton, he always does.

When we sold him he had 6 months left on his contract. He would have gone for nothing. Spurs had looked for a reported £6m so the £4.5m paid isn't that bad when you look at the whole picture. I'm glad he's back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

He's far more valuable to us than he is to Spurs. Hopefully Baines stays and their partnership is business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Everton could spend £15m on a player and he wouldn't be guaranteed to have the impact we know Pienaar will.

We paid Dortmund £2m, sold him for £3m and brought him back for £4.5m. Total spent on Pienaar: £3.5m.

Even with the extra expense (which was really out of Everton's hands), Pienaar is one of the stand-out value for money purchases of the Moyes era.

Cahill already talking up a loan return to Everton, misses us :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I am happy we signed him back and that fee doesnt bother me as others have said he could have left for nothing.

Cahill is off the wages as to is a few others so that free's up some spending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Top 6. Thats a big ask. What are the changes to the squad from last season?

Top 6. Thats a big ask. What are the changes to the squad from last season?

We finished 7th last season. Going one place better isn't a huge task. All we need is a decent start to the season, ok that never happens :confused:

In: Steven Naismith (free, Rangers), Steven Pienaar (£4.5million, Tottenham).

Out: Marcus Hahnemann, James McFadden (released), Adam Forshaw (undiscl., Brentford), James Wallace (undiscl., Tranmere), João Silva (free, Levski Sofia), Tim Cahill (nominal, New York Red Bulls).

Unless Baines is sold I don't see us spending any more money on transfers. There will probably be a few loans deals done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Lumbo wrote: »
    We finished 7th last season. Going one place better isn't a huge task. All we need is a decent start to the season, ok that never happens :confused:

In: Steven Naismith (free, Rangers), Steven Pienaar (£4.5million, Tottenham).

Out: Marcus Hahnemann, James McFadden (released), Adam Forshaw (undiscl., Brentford), James Wallace (undiscl., Tranmere), João Silva (free, Levski Sofia), Tim Cahill (nominal, New York Red Bulls).

Unless Baines is sold I don't see us spending any more money on transfers. There will probably be a few loans deals done.

I dont think ye are as strong as last season and pool should be better than they were with that clown at the head last time out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I have heard a very slight rumour (only reported in The Times) that we are looking at signing Christian Zapater as a free agent - could just be a case of us being linked with a free agent (as per usual) but I hope there's a grain of truth in it. He would certainly be a good addition to our defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

Goals from todays friendly behind closed doors http://www.sportal.bg/video.php?video=48384

• Advertisement

Yobo gone according to his Twitter(dunno if its legit)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I dont think ye are as strong as last season and pool should be better than they were with that clown at the head last time out.

I think we're stronger actually; signed Jelavic, Pienarr and Gibson in January and turned the season around. We've added Naismith to that and lost Cahill. As much as I love the guy, Cahill was finished at the highest level.

If we keep hold of everyone else, it's not looking too bad.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Still, top 6? Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool will be there. Don't forget Newcastle too if they can keep their players, also a random surprise team. 7th-9th seems more realistic bar any more transfer ins and outs among the other teams and Everton.

dsmythy wrote: »
    Still, top 6? Manchester City, Manchester United, Arsenal, Tottenham, Chelsea and Liverpool will be there. Don't forget Newcastle too if they can keep their players, also a random surprise team. 7th-9th seems more realistic bar any more transfer ins and outs among the other teams and Everton.

No one said it'll be easy. Given that we finished 7th and got to the semis in the FA cup, one place up in the league is a realistic target.

Why can't Everton be this "surprise team" you speak of?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

I reckon the Europa League is a realistic target - not an easy one but doable. I remember the last day of last season, DM was interviewed by MotD and was asked if he was happy (7th place, above the 'Pool) - his answer was an emphatic no. Finishing 7th two seasons in a row, in his eyes, shows a lack of progress. I'm inclined to agree, he wants more, we want more and I'm sure the players do too.

Also, Jelavic is 30/1 to be top Premier League top scorer - definitely sticking a few bob on that!

I reckon the Europa League is a realistic target - not an easy one but doable. I remember the last day of last season, DM was interviewed by MotD and was asked if he was happy (7th place, above the 'Pool) - his answer was an emphatic no. Finishing 7th two seasons in a row, in his eyes, shows a lack of progress. I'm inclined to agree, he wants more, we want more and I'm sure the players do too.

Also, Jelavic is 30/1 to be top Premier League top scorer - definitely sticking a few bob on that!
    Certainly worth a go e/w! I'd give my left leg for a half decent start. I think we can draw with Man Utd and realistically expect to beat Villa away given that Dunne and Agbonlahor will be out of action.

No one said it'll be easy. Given that we finished 7th and got to the semis in the FA cup, one place up in the league is a realistic target.

Why can't Everton be this "surprise team" you speak of?

Everton are the team who get surprised. They finished 7th so it wouldn't be a surprise for a repeat, though I think they are 8th best. Keeping players is not enough, the other teams around you are doing the same at a minimum and more generally adding to their teams. I dont buy the get a good start and Everton are flying talk either. A good start doesn't rule out a miserable finish especially when it's a team without real depth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Everton are the team who get surprised. They finished 7th so it wouldn't be a surprise for a repeat, though I think they are 8th best. Keeping players is not enough, the other teams around you are doing the same at a minimum and more generally adding to their teams. I dont buy the get a good start and Everton are flying talk either. A good start doesn't rule out a miserable finish especially when it's a team without real depth.

The thing about getting the good start is that we usually finish strong and if you add a good start to a strong finish then our past 2 seasons could have been so much better!

SickBoy wrote: »
    The thing about getting the good start is that we usually finish strong and if you add a good start to a strong finish then our past 2 seasons could have been so much better!

Problem is if you can end the bad start habit the good finish habit is equally as changeable. It's the 38 full games that make the table. I always wonder why Everton don't mass sack their fitness team.

Problem is if you can end the bad start habit the good finish habit is equally as changeable. It's the 38 full games that make the table. I always wonder why Everton don't mass sack their fitness team.

Because that's not an issue. In previous summers we've done all of our business at the last minute, it's disrupts the dynamic of the team and we take longer to settle in. Moyes is usually in a bad mood about it till Christmas as well. Last season he brought the team back to the states hoping to recreate the atmosphere that saw us start the 04/05 season well, it didn't work. This season most of our business will be done (since January we've brought in Jelavic, Gibson, Naismith and Pienaar) unless Baines goes we've improved the squad since January. No one thinks this is our year, we just believe that with a good start, a top six finish is possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I think this might be a very good year for Everton actually. I have a bet with a mate that ye will start strongly and break the top 6. I think getting rid of Cahill was a good move...decent player but I think ye are probably better without him. Looking forward to seeing Naysmith linking up with Jelavic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Love the way it's a foregone conclusion that Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal and possibly even Newcastle will automatically be better than us over the season!

Keep writing us off coz we just love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Steven Naismith just wrapped up a first half hattrick against AEK. His third came from a corner which was won when a Hibbert shot from way out was tipped over.

Thought he was going to score for a second :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheBuilder

As much as it pains me to say it, Naismith is going up be a star for you. If you can get him working with Jelavic you'll see what I mean. Immensely talented just been unlucky with injuries.

Hibbo scores! Delighted for him

TheBuilder wrote: »

Just smashed up my sitting room :D

Pitch invasion? Hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

disgusted-mother-of-god.png?1321272571

Pitch invasion? Hahaha

My mate text me to say they were playing the Kaiser Chiefs "I predict a riot" at half time.

• Advertisement

hibbow10.jpg

Hibbert was born in Merseyside and brought up in Huyton.He is a god amongst men and scored his only ever goal against AEK Athens during his testimonial game on August the 8th 2012. The goal resulted in worldwide riots.Growing up as an Everton supporter, Hibbert joined the club as a boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,507 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Yaaaa Hibbert!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

LOL They did riot :)

Everton agree fee with Man C for Rodwell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

eh i dunno wrote: »
    Everton agree fee with Man C for Rodwell.

shame on Bill kenwright , just sick of us selling our best players , its like a revolving door of our most talented under Kenwright -

Rooney,
    Rodwell,
    Arteta,
    Lescott

if Moyes was allowed keep his best players we could progress , instead of Moyes miracle of keeping us in the top half, and not relegation, and constantly forced to sell our best

When is Kenwroght ever going to sell up ,

ps what ever happened the new stadium Bill ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Rumoured to be £15 million.

Bit meh about it. If it had happened 12 months ago I'd have been absolutely livid. Jack is really injury prone, and when you're injury prone at 21 years of age you're set up to be the next Owen Hargreaves. He's clearly outside of Moyes' plans, and if we must sell one piece of silver every year (which we clearly do) then it's much better to sell Jack than Baines or Fellaini.

I suspect this was not his decision but the club's. He's struggled to make the breakthrough here, I would say he's doomed at City, there's no way he's breaking into that midfield on the form of the last 18 months. Wouldn't be surprised to see him back on loan in the next couple of years.

A couple of good £5-8m signings with this money and I think the club will have had a very shrewd transfer window.

thebaz wrote: »
    shame on Bill kenwright , just sick of us selling our best players , its like a revolving door of our most talented under Kenwright -

Rooney,
    Rodwell,
    Arteta,
    Lescott

if Moyes was allowed keep his best players we could progress , instead of Moyes miracle of keeping us in the top half, and not relegation, and constantly forced to sell our best

When is Kenwroght ever going to sell up ,

ps what ever happened the new stadium Bill ?

Rooney, Arteta & Lescott wanted to leave, they all made transfer requests. WTF can the chairman do about that?

thebaz wrote: »

Rooney,
    Rodwell,
    Arteta,
    Lescott

Rooney and Lescott threw their toys out of the pram and demanded transfers. Arteta wanted to go, what can you do?

I'm disapointed Rodwell is gone, but it's hardly a body blow. At least we don't have to sell Baines or Fellaini.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭gaelicred

Coming from a red Moyes can do with 15 million what other managers can do with a hundred million maybe he will get Jordan Rhoades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

gaelicred wrote: »
    Coming from a red Moyes can do with 15 million what other managers can do with a hundred million maybe he will get Jordan Rhoades
    The point is the 15m is for the bank.

Not to invest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,345 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

£15m isn't a bad deal for either team. When I heard City I expected at least £20m. Rodwell has never really set the world alight and can't see him getting many games at City. Ye can buy him back next season for £5m :D

how the hell are you supposed to progress like that i sympathize after the previous owners we had.But moyes always gets it right.Just a question where will Rodwell play for City

If we get that wide right player we're craving then that'd please me.

Voltwad wrote: »
    If we get that wide right player we're craving then that'd please me.

Anybody in mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Lumbo wrote: »
    Rooney, Arteta & Lescott wanted to leave, they all made transfer requests. WTF can the chairman do about that?

perhaps if the club had showed more ambition , they would have stayed - rooney for sure - but Kenwright does not have the money to run a big club , he has been saying for years he wants to sell - and he is still there , as is the old stadium - i think he just full of hot air, with good pr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Interestingly I haven't heard one major descending voice all day about this sell. All I've seen personally is an awful lot of happiness about it.

But if between now and the 2014 world cup, Rodwell fulfills every bit of the potential we all know he has, what will we see then? My guess is we'll see an awful lot of "Moyes is a gob****e. I always said we shouldn't sell Rodwell" type bullcrap!

The fickleness off football.

12m rising to 17m with add ons. Could have got more 2 years ago.

James Milner £24m, Stewart Downing £20m, Jordan Henderson £18m, Phil Jones £17m, Joe Allen £15m, Jack Rodwell £12m

Rodwell is a fare better prospect than Henderson. Still mad money for average english players

eh i dunno wrote: »
    12m rising to 17m with add ons. Could have got more 2 years ago.

James Milner £24m, Stewart Downing £20m, Jordan Henderson £18m, Phil Jones £17m, Joe Allen £15m, Jack Rodwell £12m

Rodwell is a fare better prospect than Henderson. Still mad money for average english players

The price for British players are ridiculous even in the lower leagues when you can buy a world cup or champions league winner for half the price

gaelicred wrote: »
    Anybody in mind
    Jarvis or Dyer?

Dyer would be a gret addition

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement