Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Liga 2014/15 Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

And the white handkerchiefs are out. Woeful from Bartra.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

The handkerchiefs are out, this can't continue, a disgrace to the legacy of a legendary team and a great club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Have to feel for Tata. He deserves a shot at another big club.

He's being scapegoated big time. There's bigger problems at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Turtwig wrote: »
    Have to feel for Tata. He deserves a shot at another big club.

Why?

I'd love David Luiz to be another CB at Barca. :cool: Partnership of Him and Masch. Neutrals Manna from Heaven!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Good finish by Aduriz.

Deserved a goal after his bicycle kick in the first half.

Barcelona are a shambles at the back.

JPA wrote: »
    Why?

Because he was doing a fine job until people above him started getting involved.

A lot of Barca fans place the blame for the problems at the board, and I agree with them.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He's being scapegoated big time. There's bigger problems at the club.

There is but his appointment made zero sense on any level.

Why?

At the start of the season he imposed his pragmatic style on the club. They looked more solid and organised than in some time. Some of the supporters and players didn't like this. Tata had to publicly compromise with the players. Barca reverted to usual shyte. Barca's form declined as anyone could predict. Tata becomes a scapegoat. Even though it's ideologues who are more to blame.

• Advertisement

There is but his appointment made zero sense on any level.

Why? The changes he made were working. They were more solid defensively then they were in many years and scoring plenty of goals. They had more variety to their attack too so they weren't the predictable force they had become(and are now).

Look at the start and first half of the season they had.

At the start of the season he imposed his pragmatic style on the club. They looked more solid and organised than in some time. Some of the supporters and players didn't like this. Tata had to publicly compromise with the players. Barca reverted to usual shyte. Barca's form declined as anyone could predict. Tata becomes a scapegoat. Even though it's ideologues who are more to blame.

No wonder Klopp has ruled himself out of the job.

Too much interference from the board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Sitter from Messi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,555 ✭✭✭✭CSF

2 very poor misses there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Yeah... he's looking more and more like a square peg in a round hole.

It was a desperation buy by Rosell ,who has been a shambolic president.
    The primary reason for signing Neymar was to deprive Real of his services and make a statement of intent.

100m euro and counting on Neymar ,another poor transfer to go along with the huge amount of other poor transfer decisions over the last few years .

Bring back Laporta as president.
    Look at the start and first half of the season they had.
    They had a very poor second half of the season last year too after a great start.

It was a desperation buy by Rosell ,who has been a shambolic president.
    The primary reason for signing Neymar was to deprive Real of his services and make a statement of intent.

100m euro and counting on Neymar ,another poor transfer to go along with the huge amount of other poor transfer decisions over the last few years .

Bring back Laporta as president.

Absolutely. Laporta would not have allowed it to descend into the farce that it has become.

Ideologies matter, they'll keep trying coaches until one of them gets it to work if need be.

Ideologies matter, they'll keep trying coaches until one of them gets it to work if need be.

Then why get Tata in the first place? It's bizarre. They knew what they were going to get. Just watch the Spain and Paraguay game in the WC. (Or just that Paraguay team in general.)

I'm not dissing Barca's philosophy it's grand to have one but they have to be pragmatic. They way they've approached the last half of the season all teams know how to manage and play against. It has to change and innovate some how. Pep knew this. In his last season he experimented with loads of different formations trying to find one.

I've never really believed in ideologies.

Winning football is the only ideology. And Barcelona's style has been redundant for some time, for three main reasons.

-Aging players, Barca can't press as relentlessly as they did at their peak. Also the players they've signed in recent seasons haven't been good enough to play that style.
    -Opposition players and coaches working out ways to counter it.
    -Their utter refusal to sign at least one top quality defender and to defend set pieces properly.

To stay successful in football, you need to learn to adapt. Barca haven't. And we are seeing that before our eyes now.

• Advertisement

Maybe not...

Great goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Bilbao do look knackered.

Bilbao have the problem all Spanish teams with thin squads have at this stage of the season : fatigue.

Biggest concern for Atletico too. :(

Pedro Rodriguez, a class act, comes up with the equalizer. He's been harshly treated by Martino, he's the saviour at the moment.

Eye of a needle. What a hit. Game turned on its head.

Pedro Rodriguez, a class act, comes up with the equalizer. He's been harshly treated by Martino, he's the saviour at the moment.

...and what a finish by Messi!

• Advertisement

Goal! From the dead, Barcelona have risen. Messi cannot be questioned.

Moyes is supposed to be trying Pedro to United. :pac:

(Think Pedro would really fit in at Arsenal. Himself and Theo would give Arsenal some pace)

Great goal by Leo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Great free kick my Messi

I've never really believed in ideologies.

Winning football is the only ideology. And Barcelona's style has been redundant for some time, for three main reasons.

-Aging players, Barca can't press as relentlessly as they did at their peak. Also the players they've signed in recent seasons haven't been good enough to play that style.
    -Opposition players and coaches working out ways to counter it.
    -Their utter refusal to sign at least one top quality defender and to defend set pieces properly.

To stay successful in football, you need to learn to adapt. Barca haven't. And we are seeing that before our eyes now.

All valid points but football is entertainment.
    Look at capello at Madrid. Style matters.

The idea that ideologies don't matter is ridiculous, without an ideology you have nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

All ideologies in football are based around winning. it just happens that you win more by playing better football

The idea that ideologies don't matter is ridiculous, without an ideology you have nothing.

Maybe I phrased it poorly, but what I mean is a winning philosophy is all that matters.

Do you think any Atleti fans will care about their abrasive, counter attacking style of football if they come home with the league and/or CL?

Your philosophy should fit the players you have available to you.

What we mean is that it's not an all or nothing. You have to be realistic. Barca can tika taka but it has to be effective. Sure look at United against Everton today. Martinez's side is reknowned for passing but today they recognised that United were so hapless in possesion and vulnerable on the counter that that they just sat back and hit United clinically. Each time they had the ball their attacks look dangerous. Naismith squandered two excellent opportunity.

Tata's barca at the start of the season mixed it up every game. They had periods of pressing, periods of defending and waiting for counters. They kept teams guessing.

The main point is you need to be adaptable. Tika-taka won't do you any good if the opposition is set up to counter it.

Arsenal's relative lack of success in the past 10 years or so is often blamed on Wengers refusal to be adaptable, to have a plan B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Goal! From the dead, Barcelona have risen. Messi cannot be questioned.

Pass the sick bucket :pac:

It's like one of those FIFA World Cup films with the terrible scripts :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Moyes is supposed to be trying Pedro to United. :pac:

(Think Pedro would really fit in at Arsenal. Himself and Theo would give Arsenal some pace)

Great goal by Leo.

I'd love to Pedro at Arsenal. Himself and Walcott on the flanks would be electric; you'd instantly make Giroud move effective as a type of pivot between Ozil and the two wide men.
    Maybe I phrased it poorly, but what I mean is a winning philosophy is all that matters.

Do you think any Atleti fans will care about their abrasive, counter attacking style of football if they come home with the league and/or CL?

Or buy the players to fit the philosophy? ;)

cson wrote: »

Or buy the players to fit the philosophy? ;)

They've tried that, the players they have brought in haven't been good enough.

kfallon wrote: »
    Pass the sick bucket :pac:

It's like one of those FIFA World Cup films with the terrible scripts :p

Clearly you're a hard man to please, also my (not so subtle) Easter reference felt suitable given the day and the situation but I suppose everyone is a critic.

Of course you must win but at Barcelona you must win in a certain way. This idea that the philosophy, rather than how that philosophy is being applied, is broken is ridiculous. The Barcelona philosophy has helped make the club what it is today, a model which all others aspire to, something which Barcelona fans around the world can be proud of and is the bedrock upon which the greatest club side ever was built. The philosophy is everything, it is Barcelona.

That's the thing, the players Barcelona have are built for that one singular philosophy. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol, Pique, Alba, Valdes, Busquets, Pedro, Fabregas, Bartra, they have been schooled in the Barcelona way. Yes there has been mistakes with transfers but, for the most part, the players the club brings in are to suit the philosophy and Martino has, wrongly, tried to move away from the philosophy.

This idea that the philosophy, rather than how that philosophy is being applied, is broken is ridiculous.

Results of the last 3 years would suggest otherwise. Opposition teams are getting better and better at countering their style. Look at Atleti. 5 games, Barca have failed to win any of them. Look at the Copa del Rey final where Ancelotti basically copied Atleti's style, and only for poor finishing Real would have won comfortably. Bayern exposed them, Inter exposed them, Chelsea exposed them.
    The Barcelona philosophy has helped make the club what it is today, a model which all others aspire to, something which Barcelona fans around the world can be proud of and is the bedrock upon which the greatest club side ever was built. The philosophy is everything, it is Barcelona.

And it's something they are rightly proud of. The 5-0 defeat of Real Madrid is the greatest 90 minutes of football I have ever seen. It was lightning in a bottle, a level that is near impossible to reach again. Puyol, Pique, Alves, Xavi, Iniesta, Villa and Messi were all in their prime. And there's the problem. They are past their prime and replacements aren't up to scratch. It's time to adapt and change with the times.
    That's the thing, the players Barcelona have are built for that one singular philosophy. Xavi, Iniesta, Messi, Puyol, Pique, Alba, Valdes, Busquets, Pedro, Fabregas, Bartra, they have been schooled in the Barcelona way. Yes there has been mistakes with transfers but, for the most part, the players the club brings in are to suit the philosophy and Martino has, wrongly, tried to move away from the philosophy.

So why hire him?

And they started the season strongly and the changes were working imo. They were still scoring plenty of goals and were still playing decent football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

My pre-existing hope that Atletico can win La Liga has been given further fuel. Me and a Real supporting friend have placed a wager that if Atletico win the title, I can kick him up the arse on camera. He can do the same if Real win it. If Barca win it's going to be a massive anti-climax.

Get the photo developed too like the one below on the left:
    tumblr_lj8q3erZIH1qd76f8o1_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

My pre-existing hope that Atletico can win La Liga has been given further fuel. Me and a Real supporting friend have placed a wager that if Atletico win the title, I can kick him up the arse on camera. He can do the same if Real win it. If Barca win it's going to be a massive anti-climax.

I quickly read it and I saw the '..ck' at the end of 'kick' and I feared the worst :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If Barca win ye should give each other a kick in the balls as ye both lost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

I'd rather not up the stakes so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,036 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If he stays in that form for Tuesday night, its going to be a belting game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Brilliant goal from A.Madrid there.. Day is getting better ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,282 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

user2011 wrote: »
    Brilliant goal from A.Madrid there.. Day is getting better ;)

Brilliant ?
    It was a calamitous error by the keeper.

Valencia by far the better side in the first half.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Raul Garcia is da man!

Advertisement