Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

JPA wrote: »
    Klopp will be interesting anyway.

We'd be lucky to afford his gum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Neil3030 wrote: »
    The more I think about it, the more I think we'll either get:

A slight improvement on Lerner (via an investment group, hopefully not buying the club with an LBO)

People always seem to think when their club gets taken over that they will turn into the next Manchester City. It rarely works like that.

I think your on the ball with your first option. It'll much more likely be someone who is steady enough, will spend a bit more money than Lerner does lately without being too extravagant ,

Lerner seems to get a hard time on here I think, though I admit I don't read a whole lot of the thread so might miss out on a bit. The man did spent a lot of money under O'Neill, let Houllier spend over £32m, McCleish £17.2m and according to Transfer League Lambert spent £25.7m in his first season and £18.5m this season.

I wouldn't expect a new owner to be spending a whole lot more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Lerner pumped a LOT of his own cash in, but there were a series of unfortunate events that put and end to that, including a nasty divorce, the collapse of the economy and the realization that MON wasn't very good in the transfer market. The names being bandied about are ones with exceptional wealth, but nobody REALLY knows if they're the interested parties or not.

If they are, things will change substantially, one would think, but if they're not and they're just someone with a few quid more than Lerner, I believe Lerner has left the club in very good condition for them to take over and put a little more in every year, but get a lot more out of it.

Unfortunately, I just don't think Lerner has the time or money for it any more, and he'd rather protect what he's got, which is fair enough. The guy DID write off 90m owed to him just before Christmas, after all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,347 ✭✭✭OneColdHand

I think if Liverpool win the league I think it could be good timing for us in terms of potential US investors seeing the value of investing in an English team.

Welcome ray and Bob!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

COYVB wrote: »
    Welcome ray and Bob!

They are no Guggenheim group but as long as Villa can get to sustainable premier league level spending they are to be welcomed. I still reckon Lambert should be given a little bit of time unless they have someone exceptional lined up to replace him.

Yup, they're unlikely to throw huge amounts at us from the off, so I'd give lambert 6 months minimum and see what he can do with £30-40m to spend on a handful of players and an increased wage budget. Managers rarely survive ownership changes for too long though, so you could definitely see him out on his ear very quickly if things keep going as they have been

Oh god, a dallas based pair, associated with the Rangers. Now where have we heard THIS before??!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Oh god, a dallas based pair, associated with the Rangers. Now where have we heard THIS before??!

There that alright, but I suppose it just shows texas is full of wealthy people.

JPA wrote: »
    There that alright, but I suppose it just shows texas is full of wealthy people.

I suppose if we can't get an Arabian oligarch, a Texan... coaligarch? will have to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The source of all this info on the TBAR forum is now saying that there is now another bidder who is far wealthier and has been mentioned before. However considering that earlier today he stated that the takeover is pretty much a done deal his credibility is damaged.

In other news Okore thinks there may be new centre halves on the way next season.
    At this level, you have to expect tough competition and then it is up to me to prove that I am better than the ones they buy.
    http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11677/9275514/premier-league-aston-villa-defender-jores-okore-on-course-in-recovery-from-knee-injury?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Larry Ellison is the name being chucked around now. Don't buy it for a second tbh. The guy took a $4bn line of credit "in case he saw something he wanted to buy". That's the kind of money you're looking at with him

Never in a billion (or $49 billion) years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

So are we owned by a godzillionaire yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Moyes to Villa? Yay? Nay? Assume we would all take that with open arms if the rumours did begin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

CSF wrote: »
    Moyes to Villa? Yay? Nay? Assume we would all take that with open arms if the rumours did begin.

Not sure about open arms, especially considering he'd be very costly now just from being United manager. Also another defensive Scottish manager?......The net should definitely be cast wider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

CSF wrote: »

I think he'd annoy me TBH, there must be someone exciting out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I wouldn't be happy with him either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Not for me, if we get a new owner Id like us to go more sexy if we replace Paul Lambert.
    Montella, De Boer, David O'Leary :D

Whoever United pick out of Simeone and Van Gaal, we should take the other :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Any ideas what the 2 coaches did that got the bullet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

digzy wrote: »
    Any ideas what the 2 coaches did that got the bullet?
    Bullying Ive heard a few times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭BUNK1982

Jesus we really are still right in the thick of it - massive game at the weekend.

I was looking at fixture list there and I think there's still a good chance that Fulham, West Brom and Sunderland could all overtake us - assuming we lose our remaining games.

Helenius' agent says he's 100% and raring to go :rolleyes:

BUNK1982 wrote: »
    I was looking at fixture list there and I think there's still a good chance that Fulham, West Brom and Sunderland could all overtake us

better chance they won't though
    BUNK1982 wrote: »

Helenius' agent says he's 100% and raring to go :rolleyes:

Not sure why that gets a rolly eyes tbh?

COYVB wrote: »
    Not sure why that gets a rolly eyes tbh?

Because it's his agent that has had to come out and say it.

I actually think being relegated could attract more investers into the fold, depending on how much it shaves off the club's value.

It may also see Lerner taking a hit, which wouldn't be the worst recompense on earth for what he has subjected fans to over the past 3 years.

And before anyone leaps to his defense with the amount he pumped in over the MON era, I maintain that was an investment / gamble which would have rewarded him handsomely if the team had become a top four regular. But it failed 100% due to his incompetency at trusting the wrong man with too much money. He has since looked to strip the club as bare as possible to get the best selling price. Three years of banality for fans was collateral damage. **** him.

I actually think being relegated could attract more investers into the fold, depending on how much it shaves off the club's value.

It may also see Lerner taking a hit, which wouldn't be the worst recompense on earth for what he has subjected fans to over the past 3 years.

And before anyone leaps to his defense with the amount he pumped in over the MON era, I maintain that was an investment / gamble which would have rewarded him handsomely if the team had become a top four regular. But it failed 100% due to his incompetency at trusting the wrong man with too much money. He has since looked to strip the club as bare as possible to get the best selling price. Three years of banality for fans was collateral damage. **** him.

Attracting more investors as a Championship club would cause more trouble.

If they can't afford a PL club at our level then where are they going to find money to invest in the playing squad?

The only people who would be interested in proposition like that are the likes of Tan, Venkys etc.

No matter what you say about RL - he is better than anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Also, it'd just result in Lerner waiting til Villa got promoted back before selling. Now is the perfect time for somebody to come in and back Lambert or back a new manager, back somebody at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,104 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Em.

No thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

Bit early in the day to be hitting the crack pipe.

• Advertisement

It's NEVER too early to be hitting the crack pipe, you take that right back!

The biggest threat to a relegated team is an exodus of players. There's hardly any chance of that at Villa, except for maybe Benteke, Guzan and Delph. But I'd be confident of holding onto 1 or 2 out of those 3 if we went down. Otherwise we have a squad that should be talented and fit enough to win the Championship, with nowhere near the overhead of a relegated side like QPR or Newcastle.

So an investor might look at us as we are now, and think of the asking price in addition to the immediate investment needed to survive next year / move up the table (probably on par with the asking price for the club), and think "no thanks."

But if the asking price drops sharply as a result of being relegated, we become a way more attractive prospect. We're pretty much in the same position in terms of squad strength, will likely go back up a again (which will drive a feel good factor at the club from actually winning some games for a change) and it also stalls the need to invest heavily in players for at least a year. Incremental investment over time is another very attractive prospect to investors.

It also means that we can do more with the same money. Someone buys us now for, say £200m + £50m for squad strengthening, vs. £100m if we go down + £150m for strengthening once we come back up, would leave us in a far stronger position.

As someone rightly points out, relegation could cause Lerner to dig his heels in though. But I would hope upon hope that he would cut his losses, as I'm sure the money is not really the issue any more, rather the personal stress of managing this rather noisy asset.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement