Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social worker called mistakenly

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I rang Tusla. I spoke with the Duty Social Worker. I explained what happened.
    She said it was no-one from their team but that there are other teams/departments that could've been in the area. But she also said that it is extremely unlikely that they would call back again, and that this sounds a bit suspicious, and that maybe I should contact the gardai.

SusieBlue wrote: »
    I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting anyone and I don't answer the phone to unknown numbers, its common sense and there should be no cause for concern or suspicion on that front.
    You don't have to justify yourself at all, you and your husband are perfectly entitled to ignore unexpected door knockers (cause that's what they are) if you wish.

The fact that they didn't produce ID is a bit peculiar though, so I would definitely be bringing that to Túsla's attention. They need to know if people are going around pretending to be social workers.

Same. We get so many cold callers. And anyone that we know that is calling, would let us know in advance, so we don't answer the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d be calling tusla, or indeed whatever department social workers come from. The fact they didn’t identify themselves by name and show ID is strange... they could have been anyone. Contact Tusla, relate what happened to you, time, describing the individuals who called, car they may have been driving etc...lack of ID etc..

Just for anybody else reading, if you get a call to your front door by people claiming to be from a ‘government agency’, first port of call BEFORE engaging with them, BEFORE confirming your identity is... “ ok, I’d just like to see your ID please “... if the request then is “why do you want that ?”.. you simply don’t go down that road just repeat... “you claim to work for a government agency, I don’t know who you are, I need your ID to enable us to proceed”.... further questions... “your ID please !” “Your ID please”... after third request, door gets closed and call to your local Garda station...

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Thank you for letting us know. Thank God your children didn't answer the door. That's the last time you'll see them, they won't return to your house but inform the gardai anyway and say Tusla suggested you report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It would be a good idea to notify the local Garda station just in case and tell them that Tulsa have been contacted.

Don't be petrified I doubt they will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

She said it was no-one from their team but that there are other teams/departments that could've been in the area. But she also said that it is extremely unlikely that they would call back again, and that this sounds a bit suspicious, and that maybe I should contact the gardai.
    I'm petrified now.

I think people might be winding you up deliberately OP.

Put it this way, If they weren't a social worker, why would they call back?

I rang the gardai and told them what happened, and that I had rang Tusla too, and they made a note that I had called.
    This has taken a turn that I hadn't been expecting at all. My kids are my life. To think that someone could've been scoping out our house or something along those lines has me very worried.

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    I think people might be winding you up deliberately OP.

What? Seriously?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm petrified now.
    There's no need to be petrified really.

It's not uncommon for burglars to scope out streets on false pretences; go around knocking on doors pretending to be selling something or checking up on something, etc.

What they're doing is seeing if they can figure out if/when the house will be empty, and whether you have an alarm, or a dog or whatever.

In your case they knew there were kids inside but didn't know if there were adults.

When you arrived back they went into the usual mode of knocking on the door to see if they could figure out whether you were worth burgling.

When they went away they had a think about, "Maybe she leaves the kids on their own in the morning", so knocked on the door to ask you. Yes, they're that brazen.

The fact that you told them your husband was upstairs working and ignored the door, means they won't be back. Because they don't know if/when they can break in without being caught.

Report it to the local Gardai. This kind of brass neck stuff seems to be really common at the moment. Every report will help them link it together and know who/what to look out for.

One of the big giveaways is if they knock on the door and ask if X lives there, but you don't even have any neighbours by that name. People doing an actual job knocking on doors very rarely end up having the name and the house wrong. If they make a mistake, it's one or the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,227 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Ring Gardai. Pass on information. Relax. Make cup of tea. Make sure husband is working upstairs and not on his phone the whole time.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I work in the PS but I'm not a sw or in the HSE. Our child protection officer within my job has advised us however to ring Tusla if we are doing calls and children appear to be 'home alone'.

I did call the gardai years ago when it appeared a toddler was on her own, and I was proved right.

Whether I would do it for older kids I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭venusdoom

Please don't be petrified. There is some sick people about in all walks of life. They were most likely burglars as mentioned above. You did the right thing alerting the gardai and also posting here. I know when my kids come home, I'll be repeating this story and drilling it into their heads not to answer the door to anyone if im busy.

Have you got a safe house that you and the kids can lie low for a few weeks.
    Could be a pedo ring.
    carq wrote: »
    Best to get out of the country OP while all this dies down.
    Id be looking at a guard dog or 2 as well to act as a deterrant to this gang.

I have stated that I suffer with anxiety, I do not appreciate these wind up comments so feck off

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I have stated that I suffer with anxiety, I do not appreciate these wind up comments so feck off

Take no notice. Its very likely you won't see or hear from them again now that they know there is an adult at home at all times.

Reiterate to your kids the importance of not opening the front door and try to forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Best to get out of the country OP while all this dies down.
    Id be looking at a guard dog or 2 as well to act as a deterrant to this gang.

Is there any need to be nasty? OP had a stranger call to her door, did not show ID, inquiring about her kids. It's probably just some weird mix up but she has stated that she is concerned and an anxious person so your need for likes to make you feel like you're gas craic should not outweigh that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Krombopulos Michael

Mods seem to be getting rid of the Trolls.

These people are very unlikely to come near you again, but just give the local Guards a buzz to give them a heads up just so they can keep an eye out in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

It might give you a little comfort to install a motion detector camera at your front & back door OP. They aren't hugely expensive and can give you a little peace of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

all jest aside

To my mind the odds of them being burglars are low.
    Never heard of a 2 women burglar gang, never mind one that went back to the 'scene' straight after they see someone enter the house.

Maybe they were looking for Mr X

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭triona1

Op have you 2 daughter's?
    My reason for asking is i had similar but I have a daughter and 3 son's and they have sat outside my home

So i had a Male and female

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

all jest aside

Honestly, it's fairly likely.

The women aren't the burglars, there's 20 of these guys around. They know damn well that if you send the lads to knock on the door, or some toothless haggard aul one in her late fifties, people will know what's going on and the Gardai will be down fairly soon. They use the most respectable members of their troupe in with a backstory and they scope the place out and take notes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

I have fairly semi-regular contact with Tusla and other social workers through work. Trust me when I say children playing in a front room while a parent works upstairs is the very least of their worries. I am often shocked at the things that would be considered "below the threshold" for action.
    First thing that came to my mind is criminal gangs scouting houses...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,850 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

all jest aside

Never heard of a 2 women burglar gang, never mind one that went back to the 'scene' straight after they see someone enter the house.

Maybe they were looking for Mr X

Two woman, probably unlikely burglars true, but likely scoping you, your family and property for the ‘lads’, very possibly.. I just run any unsolicited callers, if they claim to be from some government agency, ID first, note it, then say it’s not convenient, you want to be written to in detail and an appointment may be scheduled, if at first refusal they persist... door gets slammed and Gardai called.... your property, your home, your family, your rules, forget government, they are to facilitate you not the opposite.

triona1 wrote: »
    Op have you 2 daughter's?
    My reason for asking is i had similar but I have a daughter and 3 son's and they have sat outside my home

So i had a Male and female

Hi, just wondering more about this question? Why would 2 daughters be any different? Thanks.

Please remain calm OP- you’ve told everyone that’s important to tell.

It’s very possible they were social workers and if they weren’t then Garda have been alerted- tell your neighbours there’s suspicious behaviour potentially also in the area and they will keep a watchful eye.

And tell your husband to make you a nice cup of tea- I think you deserve it after the day you’ve had- ya poor thing, don’t be worrying :)

As like garda a male and female are required

If you have a son and daughter then Male and female are required.

As above Tulsa can do what they like as O'toole said it may have been but it sounds exactly like what happened me,i can't quote as im on my phone.

They have looked for what they needed you will get a letter in the post with a date when they want to visit and you confirm your available they will show id then.Its up to them now sorry but by all accounts you have done nothing wrong.

Sounds strange...I’d say be worth giving local Garda station a buzz..no harm in reporting it..

Please remain calm OP- you’ve told everyone that’s important to tell.

It’s very possible they were social workers and if they weren’t then Garda have been alerted- tell your neighbours there’s suspicious behaviour potentially also in the area and they will keep a watchful eye.

And tell your husband to make you a nice cup of tea- I think you deserve it after the day you’ve had- ya poor thing, don’t be worrying :)

Thanks, yeah I posted in the neighbourhood whatsapp group too to make the neighbours aware.

• Advertisement

triona1 wrote: »
    They have looked for what they needed you will get a letter in the post with a date when they want to visit and you confirm your available they will show id then.Its up to them now sorry but by all accounts you have done nothing wrong.

So you're saying that social workers sat outside your house? And that these could have been 2 social workers sitting outside watching my house?
    But then they approached my door under false pretences, is that even legal for them to do?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement