Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social welfare advice

Options
  • 15-02-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am a dad of 2 kids. My partner and I are breaking up. We are struggling to move on for financial reasons. The landlord of the house we are currently will not accept HAP when I move out. My partner earns 25k. She will have to look to rent a new house now and then apply for HAP. Rent prices are a lot higher and not in big supply in the area she wants to live. I am planning to buy a house myself. I earn 60k a year. Our problem is that she is finding it difficult to get help from social welfare. I will help her but I cannot afford to pay rent in 2 houses. Has anyone been in this kind of situation and did you find a solution?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Sorry of no help to you but just to let you know I've reported the post to a moderator so it can be moved to a more appropriate sub forum.

Feedback is more to do with site issues.
    Welcome to Boards :)

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Mark
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi Micmaur, welcome to Boards.

I've moved your thread across to the State Benefits forum where users may be better able to provide input and advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Micmaur wrote: »
    I am a dad of 2 kids. My partner and I are breaking up. We are struggling to move on for financial reasons. The landlord of the house we are currently will not accept HAP when I move out. My partner earns 25k. She will have to look to rent a new house now and then apply for HAP. Rent prices are a lot higher and not in big supply in the area she wants to live. I am planning to buy a house myself. I earn 60k a year. Our problem is that she is finding it difficult to get help from social welfare. I will help her but I cannot afford to pay rent in 2 houses. Has anyone been in this kind of situation and did you find a solution?

Hi
    The short answer is that you and the mother of your 2 children earn 85,000 between you a year. SW don’t take any of any of your outgoings into account when calculating entitlement so they’re not interested in how much rent or childcare you are paying, just your income. They also look at your gross incomes less PRSI and pension only, not PAYE or USC. They’re position is that with joint income of nearly €1700 per week you are outside the perimeter for state aid.
    You don’t say how old the children are? In order to apply for HAP she needs to be on a local authority housing list. Is she?

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

The landlord of the house we are currently will not accept HAP when I move out. My partner earns 25k. She will have to look to rent a new house now and then apply for HAP.

I believe that a landlord cannot legally refuse HAP. So I would talk to the landlord again and try to make a compromise.
    What reason did he give for refusing it?
    I will help her but I cannot afford to pay rent in 2 houses.

That's understandable; but as HAP takes a few months to get through the red tape, she may need you to help her with rent just until the first HAP payment is made.

Advertisement