Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What kind of soil are you?

• 01-02-2020 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭

I want to go back to basics and look at the Parable of the sower this morning.

The parable is here:
    That same day Jesus went out of the house and sat beside the sea. And great crowds gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat down. And the whole crowd stood on the beach. And he told them many things in parables, saying: “A sower went out to sow. And as he sowed, some seeds fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured them. Other seeds fell on rocky ground, where they did not have much soil, and immediately they sprang up, since they had no depth of soil, but when the sun rose they were scorched. And since they had no root, they withered away. Other seeds fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked them. Other seeds fell on good soil and produced grain, some a hundredfold, some sixty, some thirty. He who has ears, let him hear.”

To sum, there are four different types of soil the seeds fell into:
    1) Fell on path.
    2) Rocky ground with not much soil.
    3) Fell in thorns.
    4) Fell on good soil.

It's explanation is here:
    “Hear then the parable of the sower: When anyone hears the word of the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what has been sown in his heart. This is what was sown along the path. As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. As for what was sown among thorns, this is the one who hears the word, but the cares of the world and the deceitfulness of riches choke the word, and it proves unfruitful. As for what was sown on good soil, this is the one who hears the word and understands it. He indeed bears fruit and yields, in one case a hundredfold, in another sixty, and in another thirty.”
    And the meanings.
    1) Snatched up by the devil before it can take root.
    2) Hears the word joyfully but had no root and gives up when persecution comes along.
    3) Hears the word and the cares of the world get in the way.
    4) The fruitful Christian who sticks with Jesus.

All:
    Which kind of soil do you think you are?

Questions for Christians:
    How can this help us as we share the gospel with others?

How can the cares of the world distract us from Jesus? Do you think we pay enough attention to this?

Question for non-Christians:

Do you think Jesus' position on the reasons for unbelief are fair? Why or why not?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

All four. The proportions might vary, but all four always present.

How can this help us as we share the gospel with others?

There is no need to be frustrated or take too much burden on. You scatter and seed lands where it lands. Another's soil is his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

all hail Theo of the pulpit soil :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

Deja Boo wrote: »
    all hail Theo of the pulpit soil :rolleyes:

You sound like an acidic soil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

About soil n myself ....

Feast thine eyes upon - see pic

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Rich and fertile. No doubt helped along by a healthy dose of manure on a regular basis :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

smacl wrote: »
    Rich and fertile. No doubt helped along by a healthy dose of manure on a regular basis :)

Atheist Ireland??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Atheist Ireland??

Nope. Nor like your good self a fan of Dawkins either. Plenty other local sources to ensure a nice crop of strawberries each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

smacl wrote: »

When did you become a Christian?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,681 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

worded wrote: »
    You sound like an acidic soil

nah, just one who knows better than to accept tares, no matter how loud they insist they are wheat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭santana75

How can the cares of the world distract us from Jesus? Do you think we pay enough attention to this?

I was just reading this passage of scripture the other day......I'd like to think Im the last kind of soil, you know the one that produces an abundance of fruit for the kingdom of heaven. But I came to the conclusion that this is the destination, it may not be the starting point. For me thats the case anyway. If you notice Jesus says that the worries of this world and the pursuit of wealth are the two major traps that people fall into. Its the "Worry-Wealth" spectrum. Youre either worrying or your chasing after money and wordly success(or both). For me I've had to work on renewing my mind so that I focus on God's word and his promises as opposed to thinking about my worries. Forgetting about troubles and the things of this earth and focusing instead on heavenly matters. And then paying no mind to the pursuit of material things or wealth. In effect, putting God first in every way: Action, thought, focus. I think this is how you move from the soil that produces no crops to one that is fruitful.

• Advertisement
Advertisement