Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How do I leave the Church

13»

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Why is so much time given to this snowflake? Do you people have nothing better to do ??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Why is so much time given to this snowflake? Do you people have nothing better to do ??

Mod warning: This is a discussion forum. Not sure who (or what) you are referring to as a snowflake but personal attacks will not be tolerated. Please raise the standard of your posts before posting on this thread again. Thanks for your attention.

Well I just think this thread is pointless? Is it really that important to formally leave an institution that doesn't require annual registration??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Well I just think this thread is pointless? Is it really that important to formally leave an institution that doesn't require annual registration??

Clearly it is for those that started the thread and (other than yourself perhaps) those who continue to post in it. There's a similar thread over on the A&A forum, so it would appear to be a topic of interest to quite a few people.

I think for some people it amounts to wanting to publicly dissociate themselves from the Catholic church as a result of ongoing scandals over the years, stance on reproductive health and attitude to the LGBT community. I've a couple of friends who still consider themselves Christian but no longer Catholic on this basis and others who have rejected religion entirely.

Out of interest, why post on a thread you think is pointless if you don't have a view on the matter yourself?

smacl wrote: »
    Clearly it is for those that started the thread and (other than yourself perhaps) those who continue to post in it. There's a similar thread over on the A&A forum, so it would appear to be a topic of interest to quite a few people.

I think for some people it amounts to wanting to publicly dissociate themselves from the Catholic church as a result of ongoing scandals over the years, stance on reproductive health and attitude to the LGBT community. I've a couple of friends who still consider themselves Christian but no longer Catholic on this basis and others who have rejected religion entirely.

Out of interest, why post on a thread you think is pointless if you don't have a view on the matter yourself?

It's virtue signalling pure and simple. There is no publicly available list of members. Nobody knows who is in . Thus it smacks of a person in search of victim hood. If fhis preoccupies your mind - God help you. Fair enough if the church actually harmed you but no evidence here . Bar a man with too much time on his hands and a fixation on having a pop at his poor old parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

smacl wrote: »

Surely the only authority the Catholic church have to count you as a member stems from themselves. Isn't is a case of someone setting up (app based sounds best) an authority to declare ones removal from that church? If it really matters.

The idea of wanting an authority that you don't recognise, provide a formal declaration of terminated membership of their organisation, requires you to recognise that authorities authority to terminate membership.

Strikes me that the hullabaloo over such a thing (how do I leave) is a case of hullaballoos sake. Like walking into a Christian cake shop looking for trouble.

Advertisement