Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Book Recommendations / Resources

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

I bought 'Christian Theology' by Alister McGrath - I'm working my through it at the moment and it is brilliant, brilliant, brilliant......

...and brilliant! It's a great reference book.

A great addition to anybodies collection - McGrath is very concise and easy to understand.

Highly recommend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've just finished reading Kevin DeYoung's - Just Do Something: A Liberating Approach To Finding God's Will. Essentially the book deals with a lot of misconceptions that Christian subculture has about God's will. He discusses God's will in three senses:
    1) What God has done,
    2) What God has commanded,
    3) Direct extra-Biblical direction from God in our lives.

He argues that 3 has only really emerged in the last 50 years due to more choice in terms of career and is for the most part based on an expectation that God should answer us in ways other than in His Word. Essentially he argues for using Biblical wisdom to make decisions, instead of procrastinating and expecting God to sort everything out for us. His argument is that God speaks primarily through His word, and it has only been in very exceptional cases where God uses visions or other means, and even in these cases this revelation must conform with Scripture.

Well well worth a read, I've had a good and a very helpful rebuking from a lot of his words in this book :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features/ceo_apologetics_oct04.asp

This is a very short article on the history of Catholic Apologetics and includes a useful bibliography at the end. I'm off to see if I can get a couple on kindle.

Here's a little secret that I'm probably going to regret sharing; I've picked up the entire works of various writers in a tiny bookshop in Howth that only opens on Saturdays and Sundays. The books normally cost 2 or 3 euro each. So far I have all of Pierre Teilhard de Chardin and CS Lewis titles and many other very difficult to find titles. The bookshop is across the road from a car dealership in Howth just before the piers but only opens at weekends and sometimes not even then!

Remember apologists, share your words with gentleness and reverence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

“Life being very short,” John Ruskin said, “and the quiet hours of it few, we ought to waste none of them in reading valueless books.”

http://www.catholicworldreport.com/Item/1866/the_best_books_i_read_in_2012_part_1_of_3.aspx#.UPXaPnwgGSN

Some very interesting titles here, many written by nonCatholics, although its a Catholic website.

I've just read a wonderful book called 'Three Philosophies of Life' by Peter Kreeft.

It goes on a thoughtful journey through Ecclesiastes, Job, and the Song of Solomon, and brings them to a new and ageless life that is quite beautiful. The many journeys of the honest soul -

Highly recommend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,571 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The book of Kells app for Ipad which is usually 12 euro is free for today. might be of interest.

http://www.worldirish.com/story/27886-get-the-book-of-kells-ipad-app-free-for-st-patricks-day

Launched in November 2012, the iPad app quickly became the number one app in the app store.

You can see all 680 pages of the Book of Kells available in high resolution for the first time. One of the most famous illustrated manuscripts and the most elaborate manuscript of its kind to survive from the early Middle Ages, today, it is on display in the Library of Trinity College Dublin.

Lumen Fidei is well worth reading - Pope Francis first encyclical - It concludes the trilogy of encyclicals on the three Christian virtues 'Faith, Hope and Love'

Lumen Fidei on 'Faith' is available here...

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/francesco/encyclicals/documents/papa-francesco_20130629_enciclica-lumen-fidei_en.html

Deus Caritas Est on 'Love' is available here.....

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20051225_deus-caritas-est_en.html

and Spe Salvi on 'Hope' is available here....

http://www.vatican.va/holy_father/benedict_xvi/encyclicals/documents/hf_ben-xvi_enc_20071130_spe-salvi_en.html

An Encyclical is a 'Letter' of sorts to the entire church....I must admit to not having read them all, I'm beginning with Lumen Fidei and finding it a real treasure :) I hope to absorb the others after.....

Just watched a really cool movie tonight called - 'Twelve years a slave'. It may not be a 'religious' as such movie but it's a people movie and it's really good. Beware however, it isn't feel good movie, anything but - one of the very best!

One of the old Mods on here introduced me to reading up on the slave railroad, and I've been hooked ever since -

Go watch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Thisname

"Becoming a people of grace" An exposition of Ephesians by Charles R Swindoll

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Not a book recommendation, but Melvyn Bragg's excellent In Our Time series has recently featured a programme about Mary Magdalene. The weblink also features a list of further reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 evilmouse

My book recommendations from the last few years:
    Heavenly Man by Brother Yun.
    Simply Kingdom, Simple Church: Multiplying Disciples & Churches by Charles Kridiotis
    The Last Reformation by Torben Sondergaard
    Are you a Christian? by Torben Sondergaard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

"Home Sweet Rome" written by Scott Hahn.

Hahn was an avowed Presbyterian and militant anti-Catholic student and academic.

This book tells his story of his conversion from presbyterian to Catholic, his journey home.

A really great read - especially his account of how he acquired the academic library of a vacated Catholic residence and how reading that library persuaded Hahn's intellect to lead him home.

https://www.ignatius.com/Products/RSH-P/rome-sweet-home.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Some recent recommendation and interesting sites:

Three Approaches to Abortion: by Peter Kreeft, a noted Theologian.- link.

Life is a blessing
    On Dr. Lejeune, who was known for discovering that the presence of an extra twenty-first chromosome causes Down Syndrome. He also devoted his life to the welfare of the mentally challenged children.
    Link

Reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/prolife/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Reading "Cross Vision" by Greg Boys at the moment.

Interesting thesis: reconsidering the notion of a warlike God of the OT. Rather than the OT God being a smitin' and a smothin' God, he suggests God being an accommodating God: one who takes a pagan people whose warlike idol god was typical of those in the A.N.E, and moves them gradually, not forcefully in the directon he himself reflects. That is Jesus-like.

Burnt offerings, for example aren't desired by him but reflect an 'accommodation' he makes with a people who expect to be making sacrifices to their god. A small step: yes, sacrificing still, but at least to the true God.

It matches the process of NT sanctification : taking sinful people where they are at and attempting to move them bit by bit in the direction he wants them to go in.

It's an interesting idea, given the dearth of attempts to reconcile a god who is fully revealed in Jesus with the God of war in the OT

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Pigeonicus1

'Awareness' by Anthony De mello

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Our Catholic Hymn Book , kinda found it nice to have a hymnal in the house can't quite put my finger on as to why though !

Also the new believers hymn book , useful broader non specific Christian Hymnal.

The little book of Catholoc Prayer by David Boyd I also found to be a great bedside companion.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

Currently reading Telling The Truth: Evangelising Postmoderns. It's a collection of conference papers edited by D. A. Carson, and very stimulating.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Looking forward the Greg Boyd's newly released book "Inspired Imperfection: How the Bible's Problems Enhance Its Divine Authority"

The Bible contains contradictions and error. But it is God breathe, so shouldn't contain contradiction or error.

Greg takes on the problem, explaining what God breathe means in the context of a God who desires to carry out his purpose through faulty, erroneous and sinful man.

I've heard him speak on the subject and, as he generally does, he takes on questions that are typically are ignored by the church (such a God is love .. yet orders his people to slay nations).

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Some good ones:

The Little Book of Christian Hymns

The Soldiers Hymn Book

The little book of Anglican Hymns

• Advertisement

I'm reading Infiltration by former Episcopalian, recent Catholic convert, Dr. Taylor Marshall

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I think the same author also does fiction and I am enjoying his "Sword and Serpent" series.

Manach wrote: »
    I think the same author also does fiction and I am enjoying his "Sword and Serpent" series.

Infiltration is the first book by Marshall that I've read
    It's a good read. He uses a lot of well known sources to bring together his thesis as to why the church is in its current situation.

Nope. Could never bear to listen to his schtick for long and then one day I heard a Franciscan talk about the dangers of false Bishops in the church and the influence of the SSPX. Marshall and his ilk getting a good mention and I understood why it raised so many red flags with me. (and I've made sure never to allow their channels to float on my feed since)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9EV2hSrFv8

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭monara

Reading again "Aquinas" by F C Copleston first published 1955. Chapter Three on God and Creation is a great summary of Aquinas' proofs for the existence of God and the problem of evil in the world. Serious food for thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭SixtaWalthers

My favorite ones for spiritual energy are:

Resilient: Restoring Your Weary Soul in These Turbulent Times by John Eldredge

Anxious for Nothing: Finding Calm in a Chaotic World by Max Lucado

Decluttering at the Speed of Life By Dana K. White

The Women of the Bible Speak: The Wisdom of 16 Women and Their Lessons for Today By Shannon Bream

However, if I talk about the recent ones, then I am reading this book https://www.managerup.com/prayer-book/ How to Be More Successful in Business With Prayer and got myself spiritually connected with God to achieve my professional goals. Actually, I was a little stressed a few days ago, and my aunt suggested me to read this book. By the way, I am also thinking of starting reading Every Good Endeavor: Connecting Your Work to God's Work. Is it worth reading? If any of you have already read this one.

Advertisement