Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

22-12-2019, 14:17   #1
Manach

History books of the year

As another year wraps up and Chrsitmas holiday reading time is upon us, what are posters favourite books (written, digital, audio) etc they have read during the year?

The top three for me are:
> The age of wonder by Richard Holmes on the Scientic revolution during the Regency. (audio version)

> Dynasty: The Rise and Fall of the House of Caesar by Tom Holland on the birth of empire (audio version)

> The King and the Catholics by Antonia Fraser on the events leading up to the Catholic Emancipation bill of 1829. (paperback)
Advertisement
23-12-2019, 00:09   #2
Dr.Nightdub

This was the stand-out for me, a breathtaking depth of research deployed to show how the fact that the 1798 rebellion in the north was instigated and led by presbyterians was consciously buried since then.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Beiner-Forgetful-Rememberance.jpeg (57.5 KB, 43 views)
Thanks from:
01-01-2020, 14:23   #3
Edgware

The Catalpa Rescue by Peter Fitzsimons.
Excellent account of the rescue of Fenian prisoners from Fremantle Jail Australia organised by John Devoy
(2) thanks from:
23-01-2020, 18:56   #4
Nika Bolokov

Really enjoyed the Nigerian History Quiz Book.

So often histories of African countries can read like academic essays , I found this a fun way to learn about the country
Thanks from:
25-02-2020, 21:45   #5
theguzman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
The Catalpa Rescue by Peter Fitzsimons.
Excellent account of the rescue of Fenian prisoners from Fremantle Jail Australia organised by John Devoy
I read the article on Wikipedia and this should be made into a film like Black 47.
Advertisement
05-03-2020, 20:20   #6
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

The Crusades (Thomas Asbridge). Feels like the seminal work on the subject. Asbridge does a wonderful job of taking a subject with such a wide scope and presenting it in an engaging and sometimes witty narrative.
Thanks from:
05-03-2020, 21:29   #7
Ascendant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancapailldorcha View Post
The Crusades (Thomas Asbridge). Feels like the seminal work on the subject. Asbridge does a wonderful job of taking a subject with such a wide scope and presenting it in an engaging and sometimes witty narrative.

If the Crusades are your thing, then I'd recommend How to Plan a Crusade, by Christopher Tyerman - really gets into the social norms and expectations that underpinned the whole thing.

(2) thanks from:
11-03-2020, 16:46   #8
ancapailldorcha
Order! Order!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascendant View Post
If the Crusades are your thing, then I'd recommend How to Plan a Crusade, by Christopher Tyerman - really gets into the social norms and expectations that underpinned the whole thing. [/CENTER]
Thanks for this. I did visit Jordan and read Asbridge's book as a bit of prep and it paid off.

The other two History books I read last year were Marc Morris' books on King John and The Norman Conquest. I read his book on King Edward I earlier this year. He's a wonderful writer and his books are meticulously researched. His work on Edward I is probably the best of the three. The Norman Conquest suffers from a paucity of primary sources while King John is best enjoyed following a primer on the subject as for some odd reason, Morris decides to leapfrog to different points in time for each chapter.
(2) thanks from:
18-03-2020, 17:52   #9
Edgware

Quote:
Originally Posted by theguzman View Post
I read the article on Wikipedia and this should be made into a film like Black 47.
If you google You tube the Catalpa Rescue you should be able to source an excellent 45 minute account of the rescue. It is a far more exciting story than any of the fiction thrillers

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion