Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-11-2019, 19:10   #16
mookishboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biodegradable View Post
In reality though , most guys who do 40 lengths are probably just going through a phase. Not many people keep 40 lengths consistent over their entire live.

That I find to be BS my partner has swam 120 lengths 4 times a week for the last 45 years. Try not to group all people into your worldview please
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-11-2019, 19:20   #17
Woke Hogan

I despise the face that everyone is carrying around a device that constantly surveils and records their every step and utterance.

Recently I Googled a shop and Google told me how busy it was on that time of day, obviously from analysing data from recording people’s locations from their phones. It also told me the date I last visited that shop, in 2014.

I’m giving some serious thought to getting rid of my smart phone and banning their usage in my home. My wife is into the idea but my children are far from keen. Signing up to be spied on, turkeys voting for Christmas.
(2) thanks from:
14-11-2019, 19:36   #18
Gynoid

It's very weird, all the recording. I'm of an age where I still wonder if it would be rude to take out my phone and photograph or video something, but it appears many feel zero compunction about lepping up in public and unselfconsciously making free with their digital eye. It does mean one gets to see the most extraordinary videos though, like floods, or tornados, or random people doing very weird things. Also on my social media feeds for whatever reason there are a lot of funny baby videos. I usually smile at these but at the same time think it is odd for these children to grow up with this persistent watcher, like they are always potentially on a stage in a play. It has to condition the ego in unforeseeable ways. Changes the sense of self. Of the nature of inner awareness. Time will tell.
(2) thanks from:
14-11-2019, 19:42   #19
Widdershins

I know the type. Bit thoughtless, criticising your manner at a time you're naturally tense, and he's far from put you at your ease. Being recorded on top of that sounds so stressful.

Recording people for any reason without their knowledge and consent (Not under duress either), is really bloody low. People are too handy with phones.
(2) thanks from:
14-11-2019, 19:48   #20
maudgonner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widdershins View Post
I know the type. Bit thoughtless, criticising your manner at a time you're naturally tense, and he's far from put you at your ease. Being recorded on top of that sounds so stressful.

This was interview coaching? Do you think he should only have given praise rather than honest feedback? And recording the mock interview is for the benefit of the interviewee, so they can watch it back and see what mistakes they have made, in order to do better in job interviews.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
14-11-2019, 19:50   #21
daheff

OP

i think the start of the problem is that you were not preadvised of the recording. I know its common place to do this and critique it afterwards. My concern would be the unprofessionalism in not telling you up front. Were you asked to sign any forms allowing the recording and explaining what would happen with the data?

While the interviewer sounds rude, the question on 6 lengths of the pool, if done correctly in an interview, is an opportunity for your personality and passion for the sport to come out. You should expect questions on this in a real interview. Having an opportunity to talk about something in more detail is great. Expand on why only 6 lengths... talk about how it fits into your training plan & how you fit your training around life/work.
14-11-2019, 22:05   #22
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacoonQueen View Post
I've never seen them ask how many lengths of a pool you do on a triathlon entry form.
Tip : Most pools here are 25m so you'd have to be doing 60 lengths.
14-11-2019, 22:17   #23
Ten of Swords

There are only 3 Olympic size pools in Ireland (50 meter). University of Limerick, UCD and National Aquatic Center
Thanks from:
14-11-2019, 22:19   #24
branie2

I used to record my lectures in college, and the lecturers didn't object.
Advertisement
14-11-2019, 23:26   #25
Biodegradable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Harris View Post
It's hardly worth getting wet to do just 6 lengths.
But there's the benefits of the sauna too.
Thanks from:
14-11-2019, 23:29   #26
Biodegradable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woke Hogan View Post
I’m giving some serious thought to getting rid of my smart phone and banning their usage in my home. My wife is into the idea but my children are far from keen. Signing up to be spied on, turkeys voting for Christmas.
But in reality there's no one spying on you, or cares where your phone has been.
Thanks from:
15-11-2019, 01:26   #27
Capt'n Midnight
00:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten of Swords View Post
There are only 3 Olympic size pools in Ireland (50 meter). University of Limerick, UCD and National Aquatic Center
Didn't the army get a 48m pool just so they wouldn't be forced to share it with Olympic hopefuls ?
15-11-2019, 01:40   #28
Hello 2D Person Below

In my course at the moment there's a student that has requested lectures be recorded, which has been granted by the college provided that the person stops the recording if another student is speaking. I immediately said I have no issue with me being recorded so carry on if I'm yapping away.

As for in public, tough luck I'm afraid. As it should be.
15-11-2019, 01:43   #29
Hello 2D Person Below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt'n Midnight View Post
Didn't the army get a 48m pool just so they wouldn't be forced to share it with Olympic hopefuls ?
Out in the Irish Sea, I hope.
15-11-2019, 02:36   #30
klaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by branie2 View Post
I used to record my lectures in college, and the lecturers didn't object.
It depends on the lecturer. I record my own lectures to avoid any misunderstandings, but I have a ban on students doing any recording for themselves. The problem is that it's so easy to edit/modify video footage these days.

I get all students to sign a contract on entry to my classes regarding acceptable behavior. It removes many types of possible conflict.
Thanks from:

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion