Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

09-07-2018, 11:59   #1
Boards.ie: Mark
Boards.ie Employee

Now Ye're Talking - to a Pro Wrestling Debutant

Our next guest to step into the AMA ring is a Pro Wrestling debutant.

Simon Miller took advantage of an Al Snow Wrestling Academy opening up near him, took the bumps and bruises and learned vital wrestling skills, and vlogged the experience along the way. He has since made his debut in the wrestling ring, taking part in a royal rumble, a tag team match, and a one on one match. Soon, he will compete in the inaugural Ringmaster tournament and take part in his first London-based wrestling match.

If you have any questions about fitness and training in general, training to become a pro wrestler, and what happens in the ring, ask away!

Advertisement
09-07-2018, 12:38   #2
runtheropes

How have you found the transition from full time video game journalist, to wrestling journalist, to wrestler? It's absolutely crazy to see your progression from when I started following you back in your VideoGamer days!
09-07-2018, 12:42   #3

I Like the bit where you slap your head and ask why?
09-07-2018, 13:00   #4
I'm a Pro Wrestling Debutant, AMA
Verified representative

I'm a Pro Wrestling Debutant, AMA's Avatar

Quote:
Originally Posted by runtheropes View Post
How have you found the transition from full time video game journalist, to wrestling journalist, to wrestler? It's absolutely crazy to see your progression from when I started following you back in your VideoGamer days!
It's weird because while I've always been a driven individual, I'm also very good at convincing myself these things won't happen. That's great in one way because it keeps you motivated, but it can also be intimidating. When Defiant asked if I wanted to debut in their Rumble I was crazy excited but then you also think "Oh man. Now it's time to do it!"

Now, I love that feeling but it's equal parts awesome as it is scary. Going back to your Q, it's all been a blur looking back at it. I always would've liked thing to have head in this direction, but to say it was a specific plan would not be true. I just worked really hard and made sure I always did things I was really passionate about it.

As for transitioning, it's always harder at first as you learn the ropes, pun intended. Then hopefully from there you get more confident as time ticks away! I do hope games journalist to wrestler becomes a valid career path now given my man Jim Sterling has also done it as well...!
Thanks from:
09-07-2018, 13:01   #5
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnyThePoo View Post
I Like the bit where you slap your head and ask why?
Well, that's good! I will, hopefully, do that for a long time to come. *slaps head*
Advertisement
09-07-2018, 13:11   #6
SureYWouldntYa

How did the first bumps feel? They're supposed to be a mf'er

Do you see yourself wrestling long term or is it just something you wanted to be able to say you did for a while?

How come you didn't jump ship when the Cultaholic guys did? WC wasn't getting a lot of love around the time they left and you were the one keeping the wrestling videos going so fair play for that
09-07-2018, 13:13   #7
Agent Coulson

Hi Simon,

So going from a fan and reviewer of wrestling and understanding the nature of the sport/entertainment to becoming a wrestler is there anything that truly surprised during the training and actual matches that you did not expect before starting that journy to becoming a wrestler?
09-07-2018, 13:13   #8
Bret Hart

Who were your favorite wrestlers growing up?

Who had the greatest influence/impact on your life?

When did you decide you wanted to be a pro wrestler?

Do you ever get tired of constantly working shows?

Who's your closest friend in the industry?

What are your favorite matches?

Who do you enjoy working with in the ring the most?

What is your favorite match that you've been in?
09-07-2018, 13:17   #9
Doctor DooM

Hi Simon,

Massive fan since videogamer.

Did I detect some Mick Foley influence on the VG cinematic universe with the multiple characters?

Have you experienced stage fright? DO you think your time as a musician helps with working the crowd?
Advertisement
09-07-2018, 13:18   #10
Happililtrees

I've never watched wrestling until just recently, I started watching WWE from 2017 and I'm loving it. Any tips on what else I should try watching? Also, I've heard a lot of people complain about WWE and say it's bad now and it used to be amazing, what are your thoughts on this? 
Love the work, Simon and if you ever do another wrestling match in Newcastle, or just go for a public event in general, I'd definitely come and see.
09-07-2018, 14:13   #11
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by SureYWouldntYa View Post
How did the first bumps feel? They're supposed to be a mf'er

Do you see yourself wrestling long term or is it just something you wanted to be able to say you did for a while?

How come you didn't jump ship when the Cultaholic guys did? WC wasn't getting a lot of love around the time they left and you were the one keeping the wrestling videos going so fair play for that
Bumps are very weird because you're right - when you first do one the reaction is: "You've got to be kidding me". And yet now I kinda get a kick out of them...! I can't explain that but maybe that's where the line is. You either learn to love them or just decide it's not for you, which I would totally get it.

Originally my plan was just to do one match, but now I'm into it - and love it - I want to see how long I can do it for and for how long. I've no idea how that'll manifested itself, but it just makes me pleased to be apart of it. Will work my ass off and see what happens!

The Cultaholic guys had their own things going on and so did I. That's pretty much it! I love those guys and will never be able to thank them enough, and the same goes for WhatCulture. It was a bit rough for a few weeks given how some people reacted but as I said at the time, we smile and ignore the hate .
Thanks from:
09-07-2018, 14:19   #12
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Coulson View Post
Hi Simon,

So going from a fan and reviewer of wrestling and understanding the nature of the sport/entertainment to becoming a wrestler is there anything that truly surprised during the training and actual matches that you did not expect before starting that journy to becoming a wrestler?
Everything, to be honest. I had a good idea as I think most fans do, but nothing can prepare you for doing it, or at least that was my experience. I remember holding off starting training for 6 months so I could up my cardio in the gym and soon realised that was a waste of time! Important, of course, but the only thing that can get you ready for wrestling training is wrestling training. 

Other than that it's just how easy the pros make it look. Even a headlock takedown - although being on the simpler end of what's doable - they make look so smooth. I've a whole new appreciation for all wrestlers, although I don't like saying that as I risk sounding like "that guy". Started training and think I know it all... I really don't! 

Just the mechanics of putting a match together as well. Again, looks effortless on TV and yet the amount of times in training I'm like a deer in the headlights. 

I would like to say it is the best thing ever, too. I can't get enough and want to keep improving constantly.
Thanks from:
09-07-2018, 14:59   #13
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret Hart View Post
Who were your favorite wrestlers growing up?

Who had the greatest influence/impact on your life?

When did you decide you wanted to be a pro wrestler?

Do you ever get tired of constantly working shows?

Who's your closest friend in the industry?

What are your favorite matches?

Who do you enjoy working with in the ring the most?

What is your favorite match that you've been in?
1) Bret Hart and Stone Cold Steve Austin were my two favourites, but I also loved Hulk Hogan (who didn't?), The Ultimate Warrior, Randy Savage, Mr Perfect and The Undertaker.

2) That's a great question with multiple answers. My parents - for many reasons - helped shape who I am and taught me how important hard work is. HHH because he was the reason I started lifting weights, and that had such a huge impact on my life in general. Everything I know about setting goals is because of the gym. My friend Luke who I've known for close to 30 years and has believed in me since day one. And Batman/Metallica. Weird combo, but I found both when I was 16 and they made so much sense to my brain it helped me develop a sense of self.

3) Probably around 6 years old when I first saw it! I've actually trained twice before to try and make it, but it was during my 20s where mentally I just wasn't ready. I went through a lot in my early 30s and it gave me so much perspective about what I wanted and how to go about it.

4) Never. I'm still relatively new, but the drive/travel is half the fun even though it may not seem like it at the time. It all ties in and gives you time to practice promos, chat to other wrestlers or just reflect on a match.

5) I wouldn't want to name just one person at the moment because so many people have helped me. Short answer: everyone that I've crossed paths with so far have been awesome. More awesome than they needed to be, too.

6) My favourite matches ever would be Stone Cold vs Bret Hart from Mania 13, Okada vs Omega from Dominion 2017, any Ric Flair vs Steamboat scrap, and I've also got a soft spot for Hogan/Rock at Mania 18 because it's just so nuts on every level.

7) Everyone at the moment. Another rubbish answer, but I'm still riding the wave of 'Man, this is the coolest thing ever'. So every match is just badass.

8) I'm not sure anything will ever top my debut in the Defiant Rumble. From being terrified to elated within seconds, it was genuinely one of the best moments of my life!
Thanks from:
09-07-2018, 15:04   #14
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor DooM View Post
Hi Simon,

Massive fan since videogamer.

Did I detect some Mick Foley influence on the VG cinematic universe with the multiple characters?

Have you experienced stage fright? DO you think your time as a musician helps with working the crowd?
Thanks for being on-board for so long!

You'd think so with Mick Foley, but if it was it wasn't conscious. I just got carried away with doing characters, loved it so kept going. I like the comparison, though. It's alright with me! My only real sadness with those is that they never really got massive. I would've liked that.

I mostly find that I'm pretty nervous before anything that I care about, but then when I'm out there I love it so much I calm down and embrace the moment. I've always been that way. If I'm passionate about something, I will overthink it till the cows come home. Kinda means you get more out of it, though, and any success out the other side feels like a proper achievement. Oddly I don't get nervous about gigs with my band anymore. So explain that!
Thanks from:
09-07-2018, 15:07   #15
Verified representative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happililtrees View Post
I've never watched wrestling until just recently, I started watching WWE from 2017 and I'm loving it. Any tips on what else I should try watching? Also, I've heard a lot of people complain about WWE and say it's bad now and it used to be amazing, what are your thoughts on this? 
Love the work, Simon and if you ever do another wrestling match in Newcastle, or just go for a public event in general, I'd definitely come and see.
You could try New Japan as and when you feel like something different from WWE. It takes some getting used to but it is awesome. Other than that, most indies are pretty incredible these days. Ring Of Honor, Rev Pro, Evolve, Progress, ICW! Just great wrestlers wrestling. 

I think some people just get caught up on the negatives on WWE too much. Are there plotholes/silly booking/bad segments/all around weirdness? Yes. But it's meant to be entertainment so I always like to approach it that way. I think WWE is great nowadays, especially the match quality. It's better than ever.

Thank you, too. I'm in Newcastle a week today at the O2 Academy in Defiant. It's a two-day event so if you fancy coming, please do .
Thread Closed