Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benburb St. 1940s : Family Tree Mission

• 23-02-2011 11:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi all...i've exhausted familysearch.org and the rest. The census won't help me so im hoping that i might be able to get some help here. I'm not new to the research thing as i've been working on the other side of my family for the past few years and it's fierce exciting.

My gran, aged 83, who is just a legend, opened up to me last month and told me that her brother John and wife Sheila moved to Benburb St. in the 1940s. They had a little girl called Mary. He died soon after and my gran has never met his little girl, who's about 65 today.

He was in the Irish army (Permanent Defence Force) from 1937 to 1944.
    He was discharged due to illness before he passed away 1945/6.

To put it bluntly, i'd like for my gran's to meet her before my she passes away. I'd hate to find out later that i could have found info. on boards.ie.............his surname was O'Brien and his wife Sheila remarried after his death....that's the trickiest part as i don't know if she reverted to her maiden name (Kearney) or progressed with O'Brien.

Thanks for reading this.

Feeded

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,676 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

OK, we need more information before we can help you.
    This niece is very likely still alive but she will probably be married.

What's the niece's birth name? She may have assumed her stepfather's name.
    I have never come across a widow reverting to her maiden name when re-marrying but I have seen both surnames on the second marriage cert (eg: Anne Jane O'Brien (nee Murphy) ). It's really only with divorce that you get women reverting, and even then, that's only a very modern concept. So I think you can be pretty sure she stayed Sheila O'Brien.

Depending on how quickly she remarried, you should be able to find the second marriage on familysearch. Even though you don't know the husband's name, you can still make a list of Sheila O'Brien marriages:

Name: Sheila O'Brien
    Registration District: Dublin North
    Event Type: MARRIAGES
    Registration Quarter and Year: Apr - Jun 1952
    Volume Number: 2
    Page Number: 449

Registration District: Dublin North
    Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1950
    Page Number: 406

Registration District: Dublin South
    Registration Quarter and Year: Oct - Dec 1953
    Page Number: 654

So these are the only 3 Sheila O'Brien marriages in Dublin between 1945 and 1958, which is as far as the index goes. So just order all 3. Even though Benburb St is on the northside, you cannot discount the southside one: she may well have moved after her second marriage.

Now finding the niece is going to be the harder part - as I said, likely alive and married so a different unknown name. You want to check newspaper archives for marriage announcements: Irish Times is online for a small subscription. http://www.irishnewsarchive.com/ will give you the Indo and others. That's a long shot. I presume you have googled her birthname to see what comes up and exhausted the facebook options, etc.

Despite what I've said above, the easiest way to find her is an ad in the paper or a letter to the Irish Times (if they'll publish it).

Best of luck!

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement