Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any advice?

Options
  • 05-02-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of popping over to Dublin to do a little follow up research, in March .

Obviously St Patrick's day would be great, but it would be easier if I come over a few days later for finding accomodation.

As I intend to be there for about 2 or three days I was wondering if you could advise me on how to go about finding somewhere to stay over?

(No adverts please, just general info)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

What kind research are you aiming to carry out ?

I suppose figuring out the most convenient location for staying might depend on which archive / library you need to do your research in.

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

Well the area is the one you posted for me a while back Shane.

(Windsor Terrace, Clanbrassil Bridge, Grand Canal Bank, Parish St Peter, Wood Quay Ward)

I want to browse around and look for links to the family, Gravestones, Parish records and things of that nature. Oh and have a bit of a holiday too........ I need the break.

There's no central index for gravestones and burials, but if any of the family were buried in Glasnevin/Prospect Cemetery then that's worth a visit., as I believe you can do some research whilst there (they also have details online - for a fee).

The parish records question depends on the family religion - RC records are in the National Library, Kildare St in Dublin. Church of Ireland records are held in the Representative Church Body Library, which is in Rathfarnham South County Dublin.

Shane

Thanks for that Shane, is it easy to find accomodation just for a few days or should I go for a major hotel?

sorry - I live in Dublin so dont have much experience on staying in hotels here.

I thought maybe if you mentioned the type of research you were interested in I could suggest a possible convenient area to stay in.

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

if you go over in the summer holidays, Trinity College rents out student accommodation. Very clean, good facilities, not badly priced etc. Means you're in the city centre and can get to places fairly easily e.g. the library in Pearse St, the GRO office etc...

Thanks guys, unfortunately my time off work is in March so it has to be then really. (14th to 28th) Obviously it will have to be after 17th as Dublin will be full for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭johnny_doyle

last hotel I stayed in was on a work trip a good few years ago. The Hilton. It was OK but wasn't where I wanted to be.

Can only suggest you try the accommodation section of the Dublin website

http://www.dublin.ie/accommodation/home.htm

Thank you all for your help and advice. I will get sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭christmas2010

Bear in mind that 17th March is a public holiday here so all government offices that you might want to use for your research will be closed that day.

• Advertisement
Advertisement