Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

County information on Ancestry.co.uk

Options
  • 08-02-2011 6:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Looking into some of my maternal Grandmothers family who may have left for England.
    Logged on to Ancestry to subscribe for a month but unfortunately I cant get the payment to go through on my credit card as Ancestry have a drop down field for 'County' which lists the four provinces rather than the actual counties and MBNA actually know the difference between province and county in Ireland.
    Send off an email to Ancestry but in the mean time I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this problem and found a work around.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I haven't had the problem but you might be better with the 2 week free trial first - you still need a credit card. Another good site for the UK is findmypast.com - bmd indexes, census and parish records - pay per view but it's not unreasonable.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭sashasdad

Got it sorted over the phone although it took some explaining as to why I didn't live in county Leinster. I've used the two week trial before and also had a monthly membership before so I had no choice but to fork out for another monthly subscription. It seems they changed there billing system and basically just used the US field for 'State' and copied it across to Ireland where state became county and the four provinces/"states" where listed as the counties.
    Ah well back to the census trawl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭hblock21

I joined up for the two week free trial yesterday. I have to say I'm very disappointed with the content. There's f'all on the site! And very hard to 'search'

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

what kind of records are you searching for ?

Ancestry has very little in the way of Irish records.

Shane

shanew wrote: »

Ancestry has very little in the way of Irish records.

Shane

Yes, I only realised that once I joined up.

There's really only one other thing I would have liked to find anything out about outside of Ireland. An ancestor of mine, Thomas J Dunn (1850ish - 12th Dec 1905), was Sheriff of New York in 1897 - 1899. He emigrated to the US around 1865-70. I used the search function and found him on a few census' but I have those already, I couldn't find anything else.

So overall, very disappointed with the site! Maybe I need a few more days to figure out how to use it best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

It might be worth searching for his arrival in the records for Castle Garden. This was a major immigration centre (1855 to 1890) before Ellis Island opened in 1892

http://www.castlegarden.org/

Shane

Thanks for telling me about that site. I didn't find him but I did find his brother and sister who arrived in New York in 1884.

There a alot of Thomas Dunn's arriving around the period he emigrated and it would really just be a guessing game as to which Thomas is the right one. The census' are not much help either, he's abit all over the place when stating how many years he's been in the USA.

The one census I have not found him on is the 1870 USA census. That one could be the key to tie down the year as it would have been just a few years after him arriving.

Advertisement