Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Research Help - If you're interested

Options
  • 10-01-2011 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi,

I have recently discovered my biological fathers side of the family. I am not in contact with the family at all, so Its not really viable to contact them regarding research.

I would like to start with my grandfather...His name is Frederick (Freddie) Thomas Maguire who was born 13/03/1936 and passed 23/06/2006. He was from the Summerhill area of Dublin City Centre.

(Freddie's Children were born in Dublin, but now live in Manchester - which is where I am from, but ended up in Dublin - Coincidence!)

Freddie is buried in Glasnevin Cemetry, with another lady in the same plot (Mary Purdue - She was 50 - Passed 24/12/1935) She was from LR. Gardiner Street.

There is no mention of Mary on Freddie's Grave Stone. So there is question mark, whether they were related at all.

I can find information on Mary on the Census Archives because she was alive in the 1901/1911 Census. Freddie is not so easy...

Obviously Mary died before Freddie was born, so she is not his mother...but Mary had a daughter in 1910 - Called Mary also - So she could be his mother? Then I wonder where she is buried.

I don't know anything about him, which is now difficult..Any help or advice would be great on what to do next.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

As we pointed out in the other thread, you will need to get your grandfather's birth certificate. You can search the birth indexes online (Ponster gave you the link at familysearch.org) to find the reference but then you need to go into the GRO or postal/fax order them in Roscommon to get the actual cert. On his birth cert, you'll find both his parents' names, their address, father's occupation, etc. Once you have their names, you can hit the 1911/1901 census but the latter may be too early (if for example, he was their first child, born 1936). This will lead you on to find their marriage cert, which you can again do the preliminary index work online. Each cert will cost money, so while we're willing to help with advice and suggestions, you'll have to do the legwork yourself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭hayzer

pinkypinky wrote: »
    As we pointed out in the other thread, you will need to get your grandfather's birth certificate. You can search the birth indexes online (Ponster gave you the link at familysearch.org) to find the reference but then you need to go into the GRO or postal/fax order them in Roscommon to get the actual cert. On his birth cert, you'll find both his parents' names, their address, father's occupation, etc. Once you have their names, you can hit the 1911/1901 census but the latter may be too early (if for example, he was their first child, born 1936). This will lead you on to find their marriage cert, which you can again do the preliminary index work online. Each cert will cost money, so while we're willing to help with advice and suggestions, you'll have to do the legwork yourself.

Ok, Im not ignorant to the fact of this. PON Did say, other people might be interested in helping out, so I was just putting some information out there for people who would be interested. So I am very aware I will be running my own project. :/

We are interested in helping, but at this point nothing much can be done until you find out who your great-grandparents were. If you are able to go into the GRO, I suggest going early because they often lock the door if they feel the place is too full and then a queue forms outside! It's maddening when this happens and you've taken time off work to get in there. I often go the ordering by fax route, which takes a few days but means no time off work.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thanks, I don't have a fax machine, So I might just go up tomorrow morning and see what I can get.

Is it the same place for the marriage certificate?

Should have more info tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Yep - Irish Life building 7 on Abbey St. Third floor.
    If you have time, you could always do the search in there for their marriage cert and save yourself a second trip.

You will need:

Laptop with net access
    Pencil
    Paper
    Scissors (only joking)

So at home search and find the index reference details for your grandfather's birth which will look something like this:

Frederick Thomas Maguire 1st quarter 1936, registration district: Dublin city (probably north for Summerhill), plus a volume and page number. There may well be more than one person with these details. When you get the cert, your trouble will confirming it is correct... Now you have his exact birthday, but just be aware that sometimes people can be wrong about the exact date or year so if you find someone who matches in 1935/7, don't rule him out. Once you're sure you've got his correct cert, you can do one of two things to find the parents marriage cert.

Option A: no computer with you
    Guess what year his parents were married pay for a search of a 5 year period (eg: 1935,34,33,32,31). Look for each parent's name in each quarter (as well as the back of the index for late registrations). You want to find the same exact details for each parent (eg: registration district, year, quarter, page and volume). If you get a match then you can order that cert and come home with more.

Option B: computer
    Do the above for free on a computer and then just order the cert, saving money. This will also allow you to search additional parameters, like for siblings whose certs might also contain useful information.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I have got Fredericks Birth Cert.

His mother is MARY MAGUIRE (DELANEY)
    Father (EDWARD MAGUIRE) Labourer of 1, Upper Gloucester Street.

I just need to get their marriage certificate...so I need to locate a date...!

Name: Mary Delaney
    Registration District: Dublin South
    Event Type: MARRIAGES
    Registration Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1930
    Volume Number: 2
    Page Number: 396

Name: Edward Maguire

This is a possibility. Gloucester St is southside.

I haven't gone through all the possible Marys but there's only 12 Edward Maguire marriages in Dublin for the period 1925-1935. I stopped when I found a match but you should go through the rest of the Marys for completeness.

This is how I do it: 2 browser windows. I look at the quarter and year and then scroll through the shorter list (in this case Edwards), if I hit the same year and quarter and registration (either north or south in this case), I check the page and volume to see if they match too.
    http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&placeId=1928918&alivePlaceLoc1=Dublin%2C%20Ireland&givenName=Edward&surname=Maguire&toYear=1935&year=1925&searchType=close

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#surname=delaney&toYear=1935&year=1925&p=recordResults&searchType=close&placeId=1928918&alivePlaceLoc1=Dublin%2C%20Ireland&givenName=mary

ETA: I had a quick skim of the rest - doesn't look like there's a further match, but it wasn't likely that there'd be a second anyway.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I haven't gone through all the possible Marys but there's only 12 Edward Maguire marriages in Dublin for the period 1925-1935. I stopped when I found a match but you should go through the rest of the Marys for completeness.

This is how I do it: 2 browser windows. I look at the quarter and year and then scroll through the shorter list (in this case Edwards), if I hit the same year and quarter and registration (either north or south in this case), I check the page and volume to see if they match too.
    http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=recordResults&placeId=1928918&alivePlaceLoc1=Dublin%2C%20Ireland&givenName=Edward&surname=Maguire&toYear=1935&year=1925&searchType=close

http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#surname=delaney&toYear=1935&year=1925&p=recordResults&searchType=close&placeId=1928918&alivePlaceLoc1=Dublin%2C%20Ireland&givenName=mary

ETA: I had a quick skim of the rest - doesn't look like there's a further match, but it wasn't likely that there'd be a second anyway.

Wow, That's great...Thank you!

• Advertisement

Does the page number number on the record, mean it is probably the same record?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

for a possible marriage cross-match you need the year/quarter, registration district, volume number and page numbers all to match. This means that both names appear on the same page of the marriage register, and therefore could have married each other.

There are several marriages on each page so it is theoretically possible to find a false-cross match if searching with less details, but since you already both full names this seem very unlikely in this case.

Shane

So here is update on my findings!!

I have Mary and Edwards Marriage Cert. They were married on 5th Dec 1929.

He was from Gloucester Street,

And Mary was from James St (I think, I will scan this in, so you can see the cert, not sure what it says)

Edwards Father was Thomas Maguire

Marys Father was Martin Delaney (I think I found him on the Census and he is originally from Co. West Meath, but had 6 kids in Dublin with his wife.

Here is the cert...Can anyone make out the addresses and the wording under Age?

http://www.northdublinwildcats.com/cert1.html

the ages look like 'full' and 'minor'?

Grooms address - 1 Upr Gloucester St

Brides address - 41 James St

Shane

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Edward Maguire, Age "Full", Residence "1 upr [Upper?] Gloucester St"

Mary Delaney, Age "????", Residence "41 James St"

Thanks!!! Well I wonder what full and minor mean? 18 and over and under 18>

1 Uppr Gloucester Street (Which I believe is now Sean McDermott St.) is where Mary and Edward lived together until at least 1940's

"Full" = "of full age" usually means that the person was an adult, i.e. over 21 years of age.

No. 1 Upr Gloucester Street (now Upr Sean McDermott St.) was right on the junction with Gardiner St Marlborough St - not certain, but I think south side of the street. In 1927 it's listed as tenements.

41 James's Street was at the jct with Keogh's cottages, and not far from the RC church - which is between 53 and 54.

The 1927 listing for James St shows :

41 John Callaghan, grocer, tea & wine merchant
    41 1/2 tenements

Shane

Im having an issue finding Edward Maguire on the 1911 Census - If he was of FULL age in 1929 this makes him born at least around 1908 but cannot like him. His father is Thomas Maguire...if someone else is good at looking, I would be grateful!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Have you tried variations of the family-name - McGuire as well as Maguire?

mathepac wrote: »
    Have you tried variations of the family-name - McGuire as well as Maguire?

I just did...and guess what! I found him = Great Tip!!

Any clue - What Annie and Bridgets Job is http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000063979/ Sorry I am useless at reading what is written.

hayzer wrote: »
    Any clue - What Annie and Bridgets Job is http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000063979/ Sorry I am useless at reading what is written.

Fish dealer

Advertisement