Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

14-11-2019, 17:21   #886

Nothing to see here
Advertisement
14-11-2019, 17:22   #887
TitianGerm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstack166 View Post
https://twitter.com/samlee/status/11...622014464?s=21

Looks like we can finally close this thread. I know a lot of you will be upset.
Why would anyone be upset? Looks like a large fine will be imposed so obviously they've been found guilty.

Don't think anyone expected them to be banned from the Champions League?
14-11-2019, 17:41   #888
gstack166

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitianGerm View Post
Why would anyone be upset? Looks like a large fine will be imposed so obviously they've been found guilty.

Don't think anyone expected them to be banned from the Champions League?
Didn’t they?

Read back through the thread, there was posters (Ozzy Jr specifically amongst others) were debating if they’d be happy with Liverpool being rewarded the title after City were stripped, posters saying it’ll make the players and pep leave.

Plus, maybe they have been found guilty, we’ll wait and see next month, my money is on City agreeing to a fine so UEFA can save some little face & them restructuring FFP to keep City out of taking them to court because it’s plainly obvious now if this article is true that UEFA would of been took to the cleaners if City wanted to, otherwise they would of been banned.

Some of us knew all along though that in its current guise FFP was immoral & against regulations preventing owners investing in their business.
14-11-2019, 19:35   #889
ozzy jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstack166 View Post
Didn’t they?

Read back through the thread, there was posters (Ozzy Jr specifically amongst others) were debating if they’d be happy with Liverpool being rewarded the title after City were stripped, posters saying it’ll make the players and pep leave.
That's twice now you've mentioned me. Not once did I say what you claim I did above. I have 19 posts in the thread, i just went thought them all again, just to make sure. They're nearly all referring to the human rights abuses of the owners. It's easy to check them (my posts) if you want.

Feel free to point out where I did post what you claim, just in case I did miss it.

I await your findings

Last edited by ozzy jr; 14-11-2019 at 19:47.
14-11-2019, 19:40   #890
eagle eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzy jr
That's twice now you've mentioned me. Not once did I say what you claim I did above. I have 19 posts in the thread, i just went thought them all again, just to make sure. They're nearly all referring to the human rights abuses of the owners. It's easy to check them if you want.
Soccer fans don't care about stuff outside their football team.
What they've done outside football doesn't have anything to do with their dealings as football club owners.
Advertisement
14-11-2019, 19:46   #891
~Rebel~

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle eye View Post
What they've done outside football doesn't have anything to do with their dealings as football club owners.
Surely that's very much a person by person thing? Some care about that stuff, some don't.

Though it's definitely true to say that in most things, people (myself included for the most part) are happy enough to remain ignorant of the processes behind our convenience.

But I think most people have a line, somewhere.

Last edited by ~Rebel~; 14-11-2019 at 20:07.
14-11-2019, 19:51   #892
ozzy jr

Quote:
You said the exact same thing in post 759, my reply in post 760 remains the same.

Anyway, I await gstack166 reply or apology for misrepresenting me
14-11-2019, 23:15   #893
eagle eye

Quote:
You said the exact same thing in post 759, my reply in post 760 remains the same.
Yeah, I asked a question and you said I'm talking ****e. Unreal.
15-11-2019, 01:39   #894
Coillte_Bhoy

Quote:
Speak for yourself, don't tar us all with the same brush, i could be here all night giving examples to prove you wrong but i feel my time would be wasted with the likes of you
Advertisement
15-11-2019, 09:02   #895
ozzy jr

Quote:
Yeah, I asked a question and you said I'm talking ****e. Unreal.
Just looking back at what you wrote, and you were talking s****

Quote:
If we start going down the path of caring about the lives of owners of football clubs where do we stop? Do we go after anybody with a relationship with somebody controversial? Do we go after tax cheats?
Just wondering where you draw the line?
15-11-2019, 09:47   #896
eagle eye

Quote:
Just looking back at what you wrote, and you were talking s****
Yeah, four question marks. Did you miss them?
15-11-2019, 09:48   #897
eagle eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coillte_Bhoy
Speak for yourself, don't tar us all with the same brush, i could be here all night giving examples to prove you wrong but i feel my time would be wasted with the likes of you
Prove me wrong?
15-11-2019, 10:27   #898
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Pretty comfortable drawing the line at evil inherited wealth that commits multiple human rights abuses. I don’t think we have to worry about tax cheats in the context of this conversation.
15-11-2019, 14:12   #899
LuckyLloyd
The Voice of Reason

Fundamentally - as I have argued here numerous times through the years - FFP was always doomed to fail. It has not restored competitive balance nor has it pulled up the drawbridge around the old football powers as a last gasp attempt to protect them from oil money in the Middle East. Nor should it. If someone is willing to buy a football club and invest a wall of their own money in it to tilt the competitive balance in their direction so be it.

The licensing system UEFA introduced allied to FFP has been successful to ensure less debt and dodgy administrative practice up and down the European football food chain, and such initiatives can protect the Portsmouth / Leeds Utd scenarios: where the owner is a chancer who doesn’t actually have the money he is pumping in.

But City and PSG are something else, as would Utd were they bought by Saudi princes. This is real money, real intent with an army of legal acumen and resource to fight UEFA tooth and nail. As pointed out up thread, the decision not to ban City from the champions league does not absolve them from falling afoul of FFP - it just highlights the limits of sanction FFP can impose. UEFA do not have the confidence to try and apply a “nuclear” option. I am okay with this.

City’s victories or otherwise are of course a completely separate matter to the moral realities of their owners. City fans have decided to not care where the money that bankrolls them comes from. Would it bother me if Liverpool fell into such hands? **** yes. UEFA have always understood that this has the capacity to taint their competitions. Should Guardiola ever achieve the holy grail of the European Cup there will be an International focus placed on City’s owners, and that’s bad for business.

But here we are, nonetheless. This money was invited in to FIFA back rooms and it was given a place on Barcelona’s jersies and there was no stopping it from there. It is dirty morally bankrupt money and football fans probably *should* care about that - no legal victory changes that reality.
15-11-2019, 15:07   #900
eigrod

Cas have said they can’t get involved at this stage.

If/when UEFA sanction City, City can then appeal to Cas

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50435304

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion