Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought a treadmill from Fitness Digital and it’s broke

Options
  • 14-11-2019 11:55am

So here is my nightmare story so far.

I bought a treadmill from fitness digital a Irish company for €729 it’s an Irish website and it was the Reebok Jet 200+ and when it arrived for delivery a man aged over 50 tried to bring it on himself and the weight is 92kg it was a two man job but he was on his own so I had to help him. I wasn’t happy about that as if your paying for a service you except the service.

So I unpack and put together the machine and I notice the plastic on the treadmill is all cracked so big it is you can pull it apart.

Then I notice the steel bars and they are rusted.

Then I go to plug it in to make sure it works and it had a Spanish plug I couldn’t plug it in so I had to buy an adopter myself but to my surprise my treadmill I bought from Irish company my package shipped from Spain.

So I got the adopter and plugged it in and it turns on and the treadmill belt won’t move.

I’ve been emailing the company back and forth as they don’t have a telephone number I have sent 5/6 emails since Monday and they only replied on Tuesday to say sorry for the damage and sorry there was no adopter in the box and they will not responded to any more emails.

I want them to take the treadmill away and give me a full refund can I make a claim with the small claims court should I make one straight away?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

How did you pay?

How did you pay?

Visa debit card

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Cordell

You can do a chargeback, check with your bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

https://www.fitnessdigital.ie/returns-are-easy/rm/2/s_2_2/?ct=114#s_2_2

If it's less than 14 days since it arrived, go through their returns process.

If you're getting no joy there, then go through the chargeback process.

This isn't an Irish company, it's a Spanish company using a .ie domain.

Returning a 92kg item to Spain will not be cheap and you will need to pay for it upfront. I would go straight for the chargeback option.

• Advertisement

Cordell wrote: »
    You can do a chargeback, check with your bank.

I’m just after doing this in the bank a lady helped me fill it the form and I printed out all the emails I sent them ignoring me and all I took photos and got them printed to show the damage.

I did get an email just now from the company telling me to contact Reebok I didn’t buy it from them I bought from you directly I replied and just said my bank will be in touch.

If the bank don’t see in my favour then I’ll go to the ECC but the bank said to me it should go my way as I did everything correctly

But still also I want them to come and collect the broke machine I don’t want to be stuck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If they don’t collect it, and you’re stuck with it, you could always just fire it up on adverts. Sold as seen.

Put it aside until you get the chargeback resolved. After that you may discover that they are much more willing to engage and arrange to collect it, otherwise probably you can dump it for 5E at your local recycling centre.

They agreed to take it back but they want the original packeting.

I don’t have the original packeting as there was so much cardboard, plastic, Styrofoam & large pieces of wood I had to put them in my garden but it rained as I didn’t have room for it.

Also if would be impossible for myself to put it back together alone as you know large items like these are put together on the factory lot and not by one person

When your courier is collecting it I’m more than happy to assist the driver if he brings his own packeting to pack it up.

Please let me know when he is arriving and I will be here also give them my mobile number

This is what I said back to them

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

They can't insist on original packaging for faulty items, only for "change of mind" returns. They are obliged under Irish and EU law to take back faulty items for a minimum of two years, most likely six years in the case of a treadmill. No ifs or buts, no conditions. If it's faulty, it's their problem.

The fact that it will cost loads to ship back, is their problem. These costs should be built into their sales. In this case, the obligation would be on the seller to collect the item at no cost to you, repair or replace it at not cost to you and return it at no cost to you. It is only if the item was found to not be faulty that they could insist on charging you for shipping costs.

They look and sound like a complete cowboy outfit tbh.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    They can't insist on original packaging for faulty items, only for "change of mind" returns. They are obliged under Irish and EU law to take back faulty items for a minimum of two years, most likely six years in the case of a treadmill. No ifs or buts, no conditions. If it's faulty, it's their problem.

The fact that it will cost loads to ship back, is their problem. These costs should be built into their sales. In this case, the obligation would be on the seller to collect the item at no cost to you, repair or replace it at not cost to you and return it at no cost to you. It is only if the item was found to not be faulty that they could insist on charging you for shipping costs.

They look and sound like a complete cowboy outfit tbh.

Thank you for telling me this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

Cordell wrote: »
    Put it aside until you get the chargeback resolved. After that you may discover that they are much more willing to engage and arrange to collect it, otherwise probably you can dump it for 5E at your local recycling centre.

If it has a plug, it comes under WEEE, so free recycling.

They just emailed me this

please, note that we can't collect items if they aren't packed in a secure appropriate packaging.
    Here you have our conditions:
    https://www.fitnessdigital.ie/i-want-to-return-a-product/rm/3/s_3_2/?ct=112#s_3_2
    Cases and conditions:

1.- Collection of faulty products
    In case an item is found faulty upon delivery, we will arrange to have it collected free of charge. The item MUST be returned in its original packaging, and then be packed in secure appropriate packaging. Please note that the item must be available for collection within 24 hours of you letting us know it is faulty.

Once the item is received back at fitnessdigital.ie, we will inspect it, and if necessary arrange to send out a new one. Your invoice is your proof of purchase and has to be sent back to us together with the item. If any item received when purchasing is found to be missing on inspection, you will have to pay for it in full.

If the product is NOT found faulty on inspection, we may send it back to you and carriage costs will be payable by you.

Please note that you could be asked to contact the manufacturer/supplier directly for faulty products, to give you the best service possible. In this case, your invoice is your proof of purchase.

Let us know when the item is ready to be collected and we will give order to collect the item. As soon as we receive the item, we will inspectit, as per our conditions and we will process a full refund.

Please, note that we can send you out an engineer from Reebok techcnical service in order to repair the belt and the bluetooth connection. If you accept this option, we would apply you a 15% discount off 729€ that you already paid for the inconvenient.

Please, let us know what option you like better.

Regards
    Sarah

So they then are offering me 15% back and a repair. I applied for a chargeback with my bank yesterday

Such a nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭dmc17

So they then are offering me 15% back and a repair. I applied for a chargeback with my bank yesterday

Such a nightmare

Get your money back and be done with them. Imagine they repair it and something else goes wrong with it!

dmc17 wrote: »
    Get your money back and be done with them. Imagine they repair it and something else goes wrong with it!

Oh god I don’t want a repair I want my money back there not making it easy. I sent this email back to them just now

You are obliged under Irish and EU law to take back faulty items for a minimum of two years, most likely six years in the case of a treadmill. No ifs or buts, no conditions.

When is the delivery driver collecting the treadmill he will have to bring what he needs to take away the treadmill.

Even if I did have the box I wouldn’t be able to put it back together myself anyway I’m not hurting myself again like I already did assisting them delivery driver.

You have to my number so please call me Sarah XXXXXXX

I do not want a repair and 15% back I have told you many times that I want a refund and the machine taken away

I’ve spoken enough all week about this situation. I have shown you video proof of the machine not working and photos of the damaged. I am protected under EU laws so it doesn’t matter what your terms and conditions are if you think 1 man is able to pack up a breaks new broken treadmill into a box fit for purpose to be sent back is simply nonsense, by the end of today I want to know when your delivery driver is coming with the packeting to come and collect the treadmill. I will have what I can do at my end ready.

If not then then I’ll let the bank do a charge back then contact the ECC & go ahead with to suing your company for breaking EU laws, and a counterclaim for bad delivery and the pain and suffering this has caused me.

I was sold a broken product do the right thing and take it back.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

seamus wrote: »
    They are obliged under Irish and EU law to take back faulty items for a minimum of two years, most likely six years in the case of a treadmill. No ifs or buts, no conditions.

That is completely false. This type of fake advice gets people into a lot of trouble.

Op - ignore this.

Under the online change of mind conditions, you would need to have the packaging.

If Irish sale of goods act applies, then
    Under "faulty" goods, you do not need packaging. However the seller can repair, replace or refund. There is no fixed time once it's within 6 years and the fault is not from mis-use.

There's nothing to state which of the options is to be given. Common sense would apply.

Probably, your purchase comes under the eu sales legislation which does not apply here as Irish legislation is stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Oh god I don’t want a repair I want my money back there not making it easy. I sent this email back to them just now

You are obliged under Irish and EU law to take back faulty items for a minimum of two years, most likely six years in the case of a treadmill. No ifs or buts, no conditions.

When is the delivery driver collecting the treadmill he will have to bring what he needs to take away the treadmill.

Even if I did have the box I wouldn’t be able to put it back together myself anyway I’m not hurting myself again like I already did assisting them delivery driver.

You have to my number so please call me Sarah XXXXXXX

I do not want a repair and 15% back I have told you many times that I want a refund and the machine taken away

I’ve spoken enough all week about this situation. I have shown you video proof of the machine not working and photos of the damaged. I am protected under EU laws so it doesn’t matter what your terms and conditions are if you think 1 man is able to pack up a breaks new broken treadmill into a box fit for purpose to be sent back is simply nonsense, by the end of today I want to know when your delivery driver is coming with the packeting to come and collect the treadmill. I will have what I can do at my end ready.

If not then then I’ll let the bank do a charge back then contact the ECC & go ahead with to suing your company for breaking EU laws, and a counterclaim for bad delivery and the pain and suffering this has caused me.

I was sold a broken product do the right thing and take it back.

Thank you
    And THIS is why you should not believe anonymous posters online.

They will laugh at your email.

Your bank will not do a chargeback as they will defend it and the offer of repair and a partial rebate covers them ENTIRELY on eu legislation.

If sending such correspondence suggesting legal issues, ALWAYS check with a professional or read the legislation yourself and understand it fully before sending the correspondence

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The offer of a repair and rebate is still reliant on the OP returning it in packing that no longer exists and isn't required; though.

L1011 wrote: »
    The offer of a repair and rebate is still reliant on the OP returning it in packing that no longer exists and isn't required; though.

So what are my rights the machine is so massive I had to recycle as I went along it’s freaking 92kg and also they want me to put it all back in the box perfectly fit for shipment

They stop emailing back but I sent to the bank Thursday to do a chargeback and if I do get it great but then I’m still left with a broken machine that I want them to take away.

Am I entitled to a refund or not? They won’t reply to my emails.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would imagine the bank will issue the chargeback and they'll start replying again so they can dispute it (if succesfully disputed the chargeback is reversed and re-charged to your card). They will likely become more reasonable about the packaging then

• Advertisement

L1011 wrote: »
    I would imagine the bank will issue the chargeback and they'll start replying again so they can dispute it (if succesfully disputed the chargeback is reversed and re-charged to your card). They will likely become more reasonable about the packaging then

Thanks again for your replies so much for an early Christmas present for myself.

I’ll never buy large items online again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Thanks again for your replies so much for an early Christmas present for myself.

I’ll never buy large items online again

Sorry for your troubles, keep us updated how you get on please

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I had a similar experience with a dog run. It was bought online from a local retailer, but the canopy didn’t fit. 3 wrong replacements, and I told retailer I wanted my money back. He said ok as long as I returned it.......10’x10’ metal cage, with the cardboard packaging well gone. PayPal sided with him, it needed to be returned at my expense, by registered post or with a tracked courier. I went for a chargeback and they said exactly the same. Common sense seems to fly out the window at times. Lucky for me the seller was 10km away, I packed all the frame tubes, all the wire and every damn nut and bolt loose into the back of the jeep and brought it back. He bitched about not being able to sell it again in that condition!!! You know, used and disassembled!!! I don’t know how I kept my mouth shut, but I did and PayPal refunded me the cost. People seem to think chargeback is the answer to all problems, but it doesn’t seem to be.

So after 3 days with no reply I finally an email this morning

Hello Thomas,

Reebok will reply us soon regarding your incidence.
    As soon as Reebok declares that your item is faulty, we will fully refund you on you credit card and the purchase contract will be rescinded.

Regards
    Sarah

Hello Thomas,

we opened an incidence and they will contact us.
    As soon as they reply us, we will contact you.

If Reebok declares that the machine is faulty, it is possible that you might have to recycle the item, since there is no possibility for us to collect a item without a proper packaging.

Regards
    Sarah

So I think there saying they will recycle it for free nothing about my money.

I haven’t heard anything from my bank about the chargeback yet

My understanding is that if Reebok will refund you will have to deal with the broken one yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭BobMc

This is the downside of large internet purchases, as it happens I also bought treadmill from Fitness Digital going back about 8/9yrs ago still going strong.

On your own behalf a small bit of research on its actual location is easy to find. Lots of websites about with .ie not physically here so always worth double checking the contact us information to their actual
    landbased address and personally any site with hard to find landbased legitimate address and easy to find landbased phone numbers I avoid.

I've bought a good few GPS watches from same company. Sorry for all your trouble

BobMc wrote: »
    This is the downside of large internet purchases, as it happens I also bought treadmill from Fitness Digital going back about 8/9yrs ago still going strong.

On your own behalf a small bit of research on its actual location is easy to find. Lots of websites about with .ie not physically here so always worth double checking the contact us information to their actual
    landbased address and personally any site with hard to find landbased legitimate address and easy to find landbased phone numbers I avoid.

I've bought a good few GPS watches from same company. Sorry for all your trouble

I will remember not all .ie websites are Irish and I’ll never buy large items again online.

They said they are going to refund me and i will have to recycle the treadmill myself the cheek of them

Put it up for sale for 50-100 quids or so after you get the refund, selling it for parts or to be repaired and resold is the most environmentally sound way of recycling :)

Two days after they said they would refund I haven’t got an email so I just emailed them again there.

As least I have proof now in a email saying they were going to fully refund me if I recycled the machine myself

• Advertisement

No reply in 5 days now and I have heard nothing from the bank should I ring them or wait for them to contact me, the bank I mean

Advertisement