Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pricing a flight sim build for 2020

Options
  • 05-11-2019 7:39pm

What is your budget?
    Unsure. Main idea is to see how much I’d need to save before getting it. Pretty much as little as possible while comfortably able to handle the tasks in 2, which leads me to..

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer?
    Running games as intensive as the new Microsoft Flight Sim & Kerbal Space Program 2. There are other roles but none I think as strenuous as these big guns. Possibly even twitch streaming those.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows?
    Yes, but that can be done online via usb stick no?

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    This is replacing a Dell 420, complete with Windows SlideShow monitor (wish I could get that running something useful) so there’s parts there I can use. Need a new DVD drive though, an old copy of Fighters Anthology & even US Navy Fighters (MS-DOS!) to replay.

5. Do you need a monitor?
    No.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals?
    Wifi, Bluetooth would be nice. Wifi is a need, Bluetooth is a like.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking?
    No.

8. How can you pay?
    The usual online ways, though work’s in the habit of handing over a E500 One4All at Christmas

9. When are you purchasing?
    In the next few months. There’s no rush on this, and all I want to do is put a budget number down & set the date I have the money on a countdown.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

3. is for budgetary calculations, not install media

4. We care about the resolution of your intended monitor, thus the question.

I beg yer pardon, let me elaborate...
    ED E wrote: »
    3. is for budgetary calculations, not install media

4. We care about the resolution of your intended monitor, thus the question.

3. Yes, I expect to buy a copy for this PC.

4. Main monitor is 1920x1080, but it’s also connected to a TV via PGA at 1024x768. I’d expect my machine to be able to do dual monitors at 1920x1280 each.

No one...?
    😞

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Since neither game have released their minimum requirements yet, we can't advise.

I'd consider following entry-level:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£119.00 @ Amazon UK)
    Motherboard: ASRock B450M Pro4-F Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£65.98 @ Amazon UK)
    Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£54.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£100.02 @ CCL Computers)
    Video Card: Palit GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB GamingPro OC Video Card (£218.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Case: Corsair 100R ATX Mid Tower Case (£46.45 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II EVO 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NSD5 DVD/CD Writer (£15.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £671.41
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-12 11:51 GMT+0000

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

Which flight sim, Prepared 3D, xplane 11 or MSFSv2030

P3D still likes high ipc chips so I recommend Intel

Xplane 11 is moving to Vulcan at some point so may benefit AMD

MSFS is still under development so no system requirements yet

I run 9700k, 32gb ram, gtx1080 and all ssd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Nibs05 wrote: »
    Which flight sim, Prepared 3D, xplane 11 or MSFSv2030

P3D still likes high ipc chips so I recommend Intel

Xplane 11 is moving to Vulcan at some point so may benefit AMD

MSFS is still under development so no system requirements yet

I run 9700k, 32gb ram, gtx1080 and all ssd
    No point in Intel IMHO, just upgrade CPU to Ryzen 3600 - IPC is good enough to compete with 9000 series.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Nibs05

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    No point in Intel IMHO, just upgrade CPU to Ryzen 3600 - IPC is good enough to compete with 9000 series.

Aye, it was a recommendation to use Intel for better clock speed, Ipc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Flight sims are more CPU intensive generally due to the number of objects rendered, the field of view etc...

They are of course GPU intensive also but as for X-Plane 11 I'd bet it hammers the CPU more than the GPU.

Looking forward the the move to Vulkan soon, always found X-Plane 11 a little laggy regardless of the hardware. Hope this fixes it.

Advertisement