Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU Upgrade from GTX 950 to ???

Options
  • 12-11-2019 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a PC I built back in 2015.

It has an i5 4460, 16gb DDR3 RAM, 250gb SATA SSD and a GTX 950 2gb.

I'm not a hardcore gamer by any means. In fact, I really only play the Dark Souls series and related games (Sekiro)

Dark Souls 1 and 2 run fine. Dark Souls 3 runs mostly fine. Sekiro runs ok in places on low settings and is very laggy in other places. I play these on a Steam Link in my living room, all connected with Ethernet.

The recommended minimum for Sekiro is a GTX 970.

Assuming everything else with the machine is ok (I'm assuming my processor doesn't need upgrading - is this right?) - how much would i need to spend on a GPU upgrade, and what would you recommend?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,702 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

€100-ish: used RX 570 4Gb or GTX 970 - should get you 1080p 60fps.

~€150: used RX 580 8Gb

€200-250: GTX 1660 Super or used GTX 1070 / Vega 56.

As for your CPU, it should be fine but there's possibility there's micro-stutter happening from the i5's lack of hyper-threading.
    Upgrade GPU first & see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Thanks for the suggestions.

Any downside in moving from Nvidia to AMD?

Advertisement